Panama Canal, Partial Transit, Ocho Rios vs Grand Cayman

karlsselindh

We're interested in a partial transit of the Panama Canal on either the Coral or Island during this coming fall-winter season. I've noticed that on some sailings, the ship stops at Grand Cayman, while on other sailings, the ship stops at Ocho Rios. Otherwise, the ports are the same for all sailings.

Why the difference? Is one port preferable to the other?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with all the above and would pick Grand Cayman. There is one drawback to Grand Cayman and that it's a tender port. Ocho Rios can dock up to three ships, I believe. Some people don't like to tender and tender ports are skipped in bad weather more often than dock ports. That said, I'd go to Cayman any day over Ocho Rios.

Well, for my two cents - my family and I enjoyed our time in both ports. We did private excursions in both - in Cayman, swam with the stingrays and great snorkeling. In Ocho Rios, Dunn's River Falls was fun, the botanical gardens were stunning, and the docent very informative. I had heard of Wassi Art, pottery made in Ocho Rios, and the guide arranged a stop at their shop. http://www.wassiart.com/ Beautiful items, and I think of the trip every time I look at my vase.

Try to get to the Jaquar sanctuary in Limon, Panama. I canceled my partial transit and full transit for April 2014. Been through the canal twice. Have you considered a full transit? The falls is fun but very poor city. I enjoyed the Grand Cayman a lot more.

We have spent a week on both islands, before we started cruising, and have no desire to go back to Jamaica. Grand Cayman will be must nicer to stop in. We are on a Panama Canal - partial transit next February, and the Coral stops in Jamaica on that trip. We don't even plan on getting off the ship that day, unles it's just to walk around the waterfront area.

Ditto!

i could not agree more...on grand cayman we always rent a car (very reasonable) and have a great time...we dont get off the ship anymore in ocho rios....either way have a great trip!

Have vacationed in Jamaica twice........and Cayman Islands once and we would rather go back to Cayman. It gets very tiring having someone try to sell you drugs all of the time in Jamaica.

We are doing to partial Panama Canal this year too (on the Coral) and since we have been to both of those islands.......we choose a cruise that went to the Cayman Islands instead of Jamaica. There are nice things to see on both islands, but we liked the Cayman Islands better. Plus, the Caymans felt much safer and we walked everywhere when we were in the Caymans........something we didn't do in Jamaica.

We're interested in a partial transit of the Panama Canal on either the Coral or Island during this coming fall-winter season. I've noticed that on some sailings, the ship stops at Grand Cayman, while on other sailings, the ship stops at Ocho Rios. Otherwise, the ports are the same for all sailings.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why Princess changes this particular stop between Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman, it may be a financial situation.

I would go to Grand Cayman any day, beautiful beaches, but be aware very expensive there, I think we had one ice tea and two hamburgers at the bar on the beach and it was $35. Othewise it's a beautiful island and no one bothers you to buy items. I couldn't stand walking back to the ship in Ochos Rios where all the vendors line up, so aggressive !!. One in fact followed me and cursed me for not stopping at her booth.

If you like to get out and explore on your own, do it in Grand Cayman. It is much safer and cleaner not really a third world country.

But Jamaica has some wonderful things. Dunn River falls was fantastic. I would do that again. I also think the Margaritaville just at the port is one of the best we have been to and had a great time. But, if you do not stay in secured areas it could be disaster.

We had a Detroit Cop on board with us who decided to walk the area just outside the port area. He said he had a weapon with him, but he would never do that walk again. He said it was worse that going through some of the slums in Detroit.

I also spent some time in Jamaica for my job and although I was in Good hotels, whenever I went out I always had some of the local people with me.

I did the Coral partial transit, very nice cruise. Sadly, we were totally rained out on canal day and saw basically NOTHING and just sat floating in Gatun Lake all day :( Grand Cayman was great, though. Check into Stingray Sailing.com to go out to swim with the stingrays and then reef snorkeling.

Thanks in advance.

It could be the number of ships that ship that Grand Cayman can handle per day. It's a tender port and maybe the port can handle so many ship at a time for safe tendering operation. Probably if Princess doesn't get a slot then they have to go to Ocho Rios instead. It's peak winter cruising in the Caribbean and ports can handle just so many ships at a time and Ocho Rios is the only operational alternative. Anyway, Jamaica is a beautiful island. I've been there many times; however, the vendors are extremely aggressive and there is poverty. Although there are 5 star resorts sitting along white powdery beach and lush tropical jungles you'll see people living in tin huts along the highway. It's a third world country and for most American it can be a real shock in such a beautiful island. Jamaicans for the most part are very welcoming and friendly people when they are not trying to sell you stuff. If you do go there and want to get off the ship I would highly recommend doing a ship's excursion. When we stopped there we took the Duns Rivers Fall excursion and it was awesome. Grand Cayman on the other hand is famed for it's off shore banking industry and developed tourism so the standard of living is much higher, has miles of incredible beaches and luxury resorts. I believe too that Grand Cayman is a scuba diver's paradise.

I vote Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios. The first impression of Ocho Rios as we left the dock was a complete turn off. If security kept the drug sellers and pushy people trying to sell their wares off the dock, it would be a better place to

visit.

Can't believe what I'm reading! We are going on partial transit in January and specifically picked one date over another simply so we can go back to Ocho Rios. There was nothing wrong with Grand Cayman, apart from a gale force wind! but we had just the best time doing Dunn's River Falls then even more so on the Mystic Mountain bobsleigh. To me, as a fan of reggae music, Jamaica represents the real Caribbean. I have also been to Margaritaville and going on an organised excursion we felt no threat at all. People are commenting on the poverty but this is the same on lots of islands once you depart the main touristy areas. I would love to have even more time to visit the Blue Mountains, Orcabessa etc.:)

Can't believe what I'm reading! We are going on partial transit in January and specifically picked one date over another simply so we can go back to Ocho Rios. There was nothing wrong with Grand Cayman, apart from a gale force wind! but we had just the best time doing Dunn's River Falls then even more so on the Mystic Mountain bobsleigh. To me, as a fan of reggae music, Jamaica represents the real Caribbean. I have also been to Margaritaville and going on an organised excursion we felt no threat at all. People are commenting on the poverty but this is the same on lots of islands once you depart the main touristy areas. I would love to have even more time to visit the Blue Mountains, Orcabessa etc.:)

After reading a number of post it seems to me that people equate poverty with being unsafe and crime. I started to realize that with comments about Belize. Those comments are certainly subjective. I would surly watch the neighborhoods that I went to in Jamaica, but not throw the whole country out. Be vigilant wherever you go. I too would rather go back to Jamaica than Grand Cayman.

Yes poverty is everywhere and my reasons for choosing Grand Cayman over Jamaica have nothing to do with poverty but everything to do with the pushiness of the locals in trying to sell you anything and everything. Have done Dunns River Falls twice (and thoroughly enjoyed it both times) however the rest of the time spent on Jamaica I did not find enjoyable - even when on ship excursions. Last time I was on a ship that stopped there, I spent a very enjoyable day by the pool onboard as I wasn't getting off there again.

I am happy happy happy that you had a great time on board. That is what vacations are for.

I agree with the pushiness of the locals. Even at Dunn Rivers falls, When you get to the top they try selling through the fence. My comment was to those who equate being poor with being unsafe which is not a good correlation. We know that to be somewhat true here in the states, but not necessarily true in countries where everyone is poor.

Archived