Is it possible to visit Nan Tien Temple in Wollongong during a port stop?

My daughter and I will be stopping in Wollongong during our sailing in March 2018 on Explorer. She really would like to visit this temple, but its not showing as an excursion in our cruise planner.

Does anyone know if we can either take a cab to Nan Tien Temple or if any non-RCI companies do a tour to there? I wasn't able to find any listed in TripAdvisor. Not even sure if the port has cabs available. I wish the search forums button wasn't broken.

Even though she has moved to Brisbane, it is my first time in Australia, and I'm kinda lost on the planning.

TIA!

Have you tried contacting the Temple directly.? They may be able to advise on whats available or maybe even provide a conact to a member who could pick you up from the ship.

This link provides am email to the Temple Reception..

http://www.nantien.org.au/en/visitor-info/directions

Good luck.

Nan Tien Temple is not far from Port Kembla where you will dock but not sure if you can get out of the port (its a working port) unless you get the shuttle to Wollongong. Either way its not a long cab ride, about 10 kms from Wollongong Harbour.

The link Mic put up has some good info. The temple has a lovely atmosphere...very quiet and soothing. Hope you enjoy your visit.

And they have a nice vegetarian lunch. About 15 minutes in a cab from Wollongong CBD.

Well worth a visit. Open to visitors on certain days. One would have thought the ship might have operated a shorex there by arrangement with the Buddhist Monks and a local tour operator.

Hi, we can back up the other comments. The Temple is open most days and entry is open to anyone. Yes they do have a nice, and cheap, lunch option, and the grounds are quite nice to walk around. Last time we were there, including lunch, took about 2 hours. Cab fare should be around the $20-25 mark. They do have a website with some good info, very modern these Buddhist Monks.

Sounds like we are on the same cruse, via Hobart, might see you then.

Carl