Tolls from Montréal to Manhattan cruise terminal / Parking?

jb456

Has anyone recently done this trip? I think tolls start in Albany?

We plan to park at cruise terminal unless someone knows a cheaper safe / secure option?

Also if anyone knows the NYC area & surroundings. We are thinking of leaving the day before and booking a hotel in the Newburgh/Fishkill NY area. Google maps says it's an hour and 15 minutes to cruise terminal (63 miles). I know NYC traffic can be crazy but if anyone knows would we have time to make the cruise without it being a last minute rush? I have been thinking if we leave hotel around 8:30/9 and giving two hours travel time we should be parking by 11?

Thanks

What day of the week are you traveling? Also when do you need hotel? Which route are you planning? Waze or Google Is very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Cruise is Sunday March 4th, 2018. Hotel would be Saturday. Driving the 87. When arriving into NYC not sure which way to go ( Actually have no idea) was just going to follow GPS?

An old but excellent post with pictures "NYC Parking Instruction" has been very useful to others - it goes beyond best approaches to MCT, from points north (MA, CT & upstate NY/Ontario, etc.) & west (NJ/PA)

In this post for our Roll Call this Sunday on the Breakaway, I shared 2 pix of the roof-top parking & dropoff, as there are questions about it - including accessible parking.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865&highlight=My+humble+parking

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54414804&postcount=479

For early March, as you probably know, check the weather forecast & Thruway road conditins ahead - I would add at least 15+ minutes in case of any unexpected slowdown to the 75 minutes, Google/Waze with real-time navigation assist is usually quite accurate - do you do a virtual drive on a desktop PC to "look" ahead, on those tricky turns coming toward the city.

Used to do a fair amount of driving between NYC and Albany, less often up thru to Montreal/Quebec - without GPS, I would exit the NYS Thruway for the Palisades Interstate Parkway into NJ for the George Washington Bridge, a EZ-Pass toll crossing (upper level still accept cash) and head straight south on the Henry Hudson/"old" West Side Hwy (Rt. 9A) direct to MCT.

I live just south of Albany and work downtown. Yes, the tolls on 87 start at Albany when you change from the Adirondack Northway (no tolls) to the NYS Thruway (you enter at Exit 24). We've cruised out of Manhattan nine times and always drive from our house the morning of the cruise - about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. If you stay around Newburgh and leave the hotel around 9:30 you should arrive at the pier around 11, but you do want to give some time for traffic. I agree with mking8288 to exit the Thruway for the Palisades, cross the George Washington, then take 9A south to the cruise terminal. There's a dedicated exit for the piers.

Your plan to stay in a hotel in the Hudson Valley, or even White Plains, is a good idea. Not a long drive from there and usually quite easy on Sunday Morning down the parkway and Route 9A. Someone already mentioned tolls on I-87 from Albany to NY. There is also an unattended bridge toll crossing onto Manhattan. Not sure how you will be billed for that! Hope it's free for you.

Use those instructions linked above. They work great. Sometimes you get an accident or construction delay on 9A so give yourself a little extra time. The Pier is really the easiest parking and it is secure... only a little more expensive than other options which are all harder to figure out.