Camera

Judy1985

Hello

I have never been on a cruise and am planning on a river cruise for next July. Will I be missing out if I don't have a camera? I used to use a 35 mm camera eons ago, but don't take many pictures now except with my basic smart phone. If I need a camera any idea's what type would be best?

Thanks,

Judy

I predict you will get a great variety of responses to your question. Only you can decide how much you will want to look at pictures of your trip after it is over.

Personally, after my passport and credit card, my camera is the next thing I pack! I still look at photos from all of our trips from time to time, posted on the photo-sharing site Flickr. I use a simple Sony point and shoot camera, rather than my iPhone. The camera has a wrist strap, and is small enough to fit in a little pocket on the outside of my cross-body bag. On our last land based tour, I saw two of our fellow travelers (out of a group of about 35), drop their phones while taking pictures.

Enjoy your first cruise, no matter what you decide about pictures!

I second what "Lackcreativity' wrote. A simple point and shoot camera like Sony, Panasonic, or Fuji works great. Get one with a decent zoom. The problem with bigger cameras like SLR with big zooms and IPads is that they are clumsy to carry around. Picture quality would be better for sure but the difference with the new cameras is less obvious. Most point and shoot cameras even take decent videos. If I'm traveling by car in the States, I take my SLR. In Europe, on a bus or ship, I take my point and shoot..

Have Fun!

I too agree with Lackcreativity. I would add one thing. If you do decide to get a new camera, look for one with GPS built in. With GPS your photos will be "geotagged." So when you've returned and you're trying to remember where that photo was taken, you can just have your software bring up a map showing the exact location where your photo was taken. Geotagging is standard for most smartphone cameras.

If you don't want to invest in a new camera there are a couple of options. One you rent cameras. Just google camera rentals and there are places you can rent nice point and shoot cameras. I just did this for a friend to take pictures for her daughter's engagement pictures. Another option is to purchase on EBAY a used one that is in good condition and then consider selling it on EBAY once you get through with it. This is the option I took for our trip. It'll be cheaper than renting a camera - especially since I'm using a high end point and shoot.

If you don't want to invest in a new camera there are a couple of options. One you rent cameras. Just google camera rentals and there are places you can rent nice point and shoot cameras. I just did this for a friend to take pictures for her daughter's engagement pictures. Another option is to purchase on EBAY a used one that is in good condition and then consider selling it on EBAY once you get through with it. This is the option I took for our trip. It'll be cheaper than renting a camera - especially since I'm using a high end point and shoot.

Those are good suggestions, but it is also true that each person needs to determine what quality they want in a camera. My point and shoot was well below $200, and it takes pictures that are satisfactory for me. I can see the difference between my photos and my daughter's ( hers are taken with an expensive camera with multiple lenses), but I am still happy with my photos.newreply.php?do=newreply&p=54605411

photostream

Ditto the point and shoot. I got a Canon SX610 (newer model out now I believe). Great little camera, excellent zoom, and takes great pics on the zoom. I love the fact it has a wrist strap as I found I was juggling a few things and this was perfect. Better than using my phone, and the screen was much easier to see in the daylight.

Those are good suggestions, but it is also true that each person needs to determine what quality they want in a camera. My point and shoot was well below $200, and it takes pictures that are satisfactory for me. I can see the difference between my photos and my daughter's ( hers are taken with an expensive camera with multiple lenses), but I am still happy with my photos.newreply.php?do=newreply&p=54605411

photostream

lackcreativity, I think you make a valid point....to me pics are important, and I will be travelling with my "super zoom" Sony and my cell phone, but for DH, although he enjoys taking pics, he is happy with his cell. I guess it all comes down to how important of a memory the pics will be to the original poster. My only comment to them would be make sure you have storage....you never know if you will need it! I am taking a 32G card for each day...and yeah, I could probably fill them, but others may do fine with what they have on their phone.

lackcreativity, I think you make a valid point....to me pics are important, and I will be travelling with my "super zoom" Sony and my cell phone, but for DH, although he enjoys taking pics, he is happy with his cell. I guess it all comes down to how important of a memory the pics will be to the original poster. My only comment to them would be make sure you have storage....you never know if you will need it! I am taking a 32G card for each day...and yeah, I could probably fill them, but others may do fine with what they have on their phone.

Daisi - I'm like you - I want the best I can get in my pictures - so I purchased a high end Canon G7 Mark ii point and shoot which is great for night time photos. I am taking 3 64gb sdxc cards - but I've also got some 3.0 flash drives to down the pictures to so I'll have more space.

While I would always choose to take a dslr myself (because I am really into photography), I think a small point and shoot camera might be ideal for you. One of my sons travels each summer with a small, good Canon point and shoot (purposely leaving his dslr at home) and he comes home with great photos. If you do get a new camera, I would suggest googling ideal camera settings for that model before you go. And taking some photos before the trip so you are familiar with the camera. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used a Olympus waterproof TG-4 for the past several years. It is compact point and shoot with 4x zoom. My Olympus may not give you the same quality pictures as a high end DSLR. However, it fits in my shirt pocket, and I do not worry if the weather turns bad.

Hello

I have never been on a cruise and am planning on a river cruise for next July. Will I be missing out if I don't have a camera? I used to use a 35 mm camera eons ago, but don't take many pictures now except with my basic smart phone. If I need a camera any idea's what type would be best?

Thanks,

Judy

iPhone 7+ or newer would be perfect for most folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too agree with Lackcreativity. I would add one thing. If you do decide to get a new camera, look for one with GPS built in. With GPS your photos will be "geotagged." So when you've returned and you're trying to remember where that photo was taken, you can just have your software bring up a map showing the exact location where your photo was taken. Geotagging is standard for most smartphone cameras.

Although geotagging seems to be a nice feature it never worked on my Panasonic (and they got rid of it in the newer models). Actually it only sucked out my battery. You had to be outside to get it working. Did not work inside.

I download my photos each day. So I usually know where I´ve been.

Judy,

If you haven´t taken photos on other vacations except with your smart phone there´s no reason to do so on a river cruise unless you have people you want to show them.

I agree with the others that a small travel size compact camera like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ models are a good ting for travel photos. Most of those cameras do connect via WiFi with your smart phone and you can download the photos from your camera to your phone and send them ... by email, WhatsApp, Facebook... Usually the smart phone app for the camera does have geotagging too but then camera and phone have to be connected - not worth it.

steamboats

On our last two river cruises I have only used my iPhone: excellent photo ability, geotagging, saves everything to iCoud, easy to send photos to friends over WiFi on river boats, easy to carry, no weight. I own an SLR and a point and shoot, but the iPhone (any new high end phone camera) works perfectly. My new iPhone 8plus also has a built in zoom lens and excellent video ability. We are off to France for our third Tauck river cruise in May and my iPhone will be my only camera once again.