Wheelchair assistance @ Port Canaveral

mcarney

Hi ...

We usually go out of Charleston and their wheelchair/handicapped assistance is wonderful, but we will be cruising out of PC this summer ... it will be my elderly dad, boyfriend and his son. We always carry our luggage on - planning on packing my dad's stuff and mine in just 1 bag for ease.

We will be parking at the port ... and wheelchair assistance is notated on our file (we are also platinum) - so expecting a wheelchair once we get to the terminal .. how/what is the process for check in - boarding (will a Carnival staff member wheel dad up to our room like they do in Charleston?) ... secondly, we always do self-assist ... how/what is the process for wheelchair assistance for self-assist debarkation? Will Carnival staff pick dad up at our room and wheel him down to customs?

Thank you very much!

Marianne

I have had wheelchair assistance at Port Canaveral several times (need it only for embarkation and dembarkation days, not while on the cruise). We are Platinums and you get the wheelchair once you go through security (special line for Platinums). The wheelchair pusher takes you right to the Platinum check-in and takes you to the lobby on the ship. They do not take you to your cabin, just as far as the lobby. Holland America takes you right to your cabin, but not on Carnival. On the morning you leave the ship, you meet in the lobby where a wheelchair pusher will take you off the ship, through Customs, and out to your car. There will be a Carnival employee there who orchestrates the special needs operation. You should call the Guest Services Desk the day before to make sure what I have told you is still valid as it's been a few years since we have sailed out of PC. We usually tip the wheelchair pusher $5-10 each time.

Hi ...

We usually go out of Charleston and their wheelchair/handicapped assistance is wonderful, but we will be cruising out of PC this summer ... it will be my elderly dad, boyfriend and his son. We always carry our luggage on - planning on packing my dad's stuff and mine in just 1 bag for ease.

We will be parking at the port ... and wheelchair assistance is notated on our file (we are also platinum) - so expecting a wheelchair once we get to the terminal .. how/what is the process for check in - boarding (will a Carnival staff member wheel dad up to our room like they do in Charleston?) ... secondly, we always do self-assist ... how/what is the process for wheelchair assistance for self-assist debarkation? Will Carnival staff pick dad up at our room and wheel him down to customs?

Thank you very much!

Marianne

When you arrive at the terminal in PC alert the first person you see in a Carnival uniform that you signed up for wheelchair assistance. They'll get a chair and wheel you/dad through check-in. Then to a waiting area where another employee will come to wheel him aboard (with you accompanying).

Will you have a rental wheelchair waiting in the cabin? We don't so for my DH they drop us off in the Lido and when the cabins are ready around 1:30 we walk slowly to the cabin.

One person is allowed to accompany the person being wheeled.

To get right into your cabin before 1:30ish you have to be high in the loyalty ranks or have paid for FTTF.

For disembarkation they have those needing assistance wait in one location like a dining room and take you in the order your assignment ticket says.

Hi ...

Thank you very much!

Marianne

Hi

I don't know what they did for you in Charleston, but for your debarkation..."self- assist debarkation" means you don't need assistance. They state that quite clearly.

So that would mean that you would need to have your own wheelchair and be able to navigate all your luggage and yourselves off the ship without assistance. If you need help with a wheelchair, you would normally need to wait.

hope this helps

I have had wheelchair assistance at Port Canaveral several times (need it only for embarkation and dembarkation days, not while on the cruise). We are Platinums and you get the wheelchair once you go through security (special line for Platinums). The wheelchair pusher takes you right to the Platinum check-in and takes you to the lobby on the ship. They do not take you to your cabin, just as far as the lobby. Holland America takes you right to your cabin, but not on Carnival. On the morning you leave the ship, you meet in the lobby where a wheelchair pusher will take you off the ship, through Customs, and out to your car. There will be a Carnival employee there who orchestrates the special needs operation. You should call the Guest Services Desk the day before to make sure what I have told you is still valid as it's been a few years since we have sailed out of PC. We usually tip the wheelchair pusher $5-10 each time.

Thank you ... dad only needs it for embarking and debarkation, he will have his walker with him for on the ship. Carnival does lush dad to our room at the port of Charleston ... that's where we usually go out of, but this summer it's PC. My PVP already has it notated, but I am also going to visit GS when I board as well as the day before debarkation.

Did you do self assist with wheelchair assistance too?

Hi

I don't know what they did for you in Charleston, but for your debarkation..."self- assist debarkation" means you don't need assistance. They state that quite clearly.

So that would mean that you would need to have your own wheelchair and be able to navigate all your luggage and yourselves off the ship without assistance. If you need help with a wheelchair, you would normally need to wait.

hope this helps

Thank you ... usually when they assist with wheelchair (their wheelchairs), carnival will have a person pushing the chair ... I would be responsible for any bags (self assist)

I will just have to check with GS as for their policy at PC ... I just don't do checked bags and would prefer not to put my bags out the night before and go through that mess in the morning ... I can handle our bag (combining dads and my stuff in 1 bag) - once through customs, dad can use his walker and my bf will get the car

When you arrive at the terminal in PC alert the first person you see in a Carnival uniform that you signed up for wheelchair assistance. They'll get a chair and wheel you/dad through check-in. Then to a waiting area where another employee will come to wheel him aboard (with you accompanying).

Will you have a rental wheelchair waiting in the cabin? We don't so for my DH they drop us off in the Lido and when the cabins are ready around 1:30 we walk slowly to the cabin.

One person is allowed to accompany the person being wheeled.

To get right into your cabin before 1:30ish you have to be high in the loyalty ranks or have paid for FTTF.

For disembarkation they have those needing assistance wait in one location like a dining room and take you in the order your assignment ticket says.

Thank you ... no, dad will have his walker - no biggie, as long as he's wheeled on the ship, he can take it from there ... we are platinum, so we can go straight to our rooms.

I would prefer to have wheelchair assistance for dad and I will self assist (planning on 1 bag for me and dad combined)

My family and I cruised out of Port Canaveral and my father in law needed a wheelchair. We did not make arrangements, but we were able to get a wheelchair to get onto the ship. Once on we did need the chair for the duration of the cruise. We were able rent a wheelchair from guest services for. $50.00 deposit. We were able to take the chair on and off at the different ports we went to. The night before debarkation we returned the chair to GS got our deposit and arranged for pick up upon arrival.

We did not make arrangements, but we were able to get a wheelchair to get onto the ship. Once on we did need the chair for the duration of the cruise. We were able rent a wheelchair from guest services for. $50.00 deposit. We were able to take the chair on and off at the different ports we went to. The night before debarkation we returned the chair to GS got our deposit and arranged for pick up upon arrival.

I'm glad this worked out for you but folks need to be aware this is the exception. The ships normally don't loan/rent wheelchairs. Often the ship only has 3 or 4 total and there are many more than 3 passengers who need a chair.

There are a couple of companies who rent medical equipment and will have it waiting for you in the stateroom. These companies can be reached on the net. Carnival FAQ's probably gives you the names.

Thank you ...

Dad will only need a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation... he will have his walker for getting around the ship and excursions

I figured that from your posts - my DH is the same way using a cane rather than the walker - but I was concerned others reading the thread might think they could always rent a wheelchair after they get on the ship and that normally can't/doesn't happen. :) Arrangements need to be made ahead of time.

I figured that from your posts - my DH is the same way using a cane rather than the walker - but I was concerned others reading the thread might think they could always rent a wheelchair after they get on the ship and that normally can't/doesn't happen. :) Arrangements need to be made ahead of time.

Definitely ... dad can use a cane, but since we will be on a ship - I told him he needs his walker for more stability

Thank you ... usually when they assist with wheelchair (their wheelchairs), carnival will have a person pushing the chair ... I would be responsible for any bags (self assist)

I will just have to check with GS as for their policy at PC ... I just don't do checked bags and would prefer not to put my bags out the night before and go through that mess in the morning ... I can handle our bag (combining dads and my stuff in 1 bag) - once through customs, dad can use his walker and my bf will get the car

We just did this and as you stated, as long as person accompying the wheel chair passenger can handle the suitcase, there's

No issue. If you can't, then just give it to someone else in your party. It was all very easy

We just did this and as you stated, as long as person accompying the wheel chair passenger can handle the suitcase, there's

No issue. If you can't, then just give it to someone else in your party. It was all very easy

Thank you! And to confirm you did self assist debarkation at PC, right?

Thank you ...

Dad will only need a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation... he will have his walker for getting around the ship and excursions

I have a disabled spouse, so many of your questions are confusing me, along with this statement above. If you need WC assistance to the cabin, than why in the world won't you go online, and purchase a transport WC for under $100.00 and help your Dad yourself when he needs it? Drop your luggage off with the porters, and you take care of your Dad. Same with self debark. What you are looking for is "others" to help while you lug all your luggage.

I came to the conclusion because you Dad can do excursions, but can't walk on and off the ship.

My wife uses a scooter in port. We travel around the world with a travel scooter. We also have a transport WC for when it is needed. We don't always travel with it, if we have the scooter, but if we decide to go on a short trip, where walking won't be major, than I bring the Transport since it comes in a luggage bag. We also have a regulation WC we use, if needed, and a larger Scooter, for off roading events and longer day trips, such as at Disney.

So my suggestion is buy a transport WC, check your luggage, and take care of your Dad yourself.

I have a disabled spouse, so many of your questions are confusing me, along with this statement above. If you need WC assistance to the cabin, than why in the world won't you go online, and purchase a transport WC for under $100.00 and help your Dad yourself when he needs it? Drop your luggage off with the porters, and you take care of your Dad. Same with self debark. What you are looking for is "others" to help while you lug all your luggage.

I came to the conclusion because you Dad can do excursions, but can't walk on and off the ship.

My wife uses a scooter in port. We travel around the world with a travel scooter. We also have a transport WC for when it is needed. We don't always travel with it, if we have the scooter, but if we decide to go on a short trip, where walking won't be major, than I bring the Transport since it comes in a luggage bag. We also have a regulation WC we use, if needed, and a larger Scooter, for off roading events and longer day trips, such as at Disney.

So my suggestion is buy a transport WC, check your luggage, and take care of your Dad yourself.

Dad can walk around the ship, but cannot walk up/down those huge ramps ... I see able bodied guests struggle, so asking an elderly person climb 3 flights (whether it be on a ramp/stairs, etc) is a little ridiculous, wouldn't you think? Instead, as my PVP as well as the special needs dept suggests is to request wheelchair assistance when embarking and debarking bypassing the ramps ... that's what the wheelchair assistance is there for ... otherwise, they wouldn't notate it as an option.

Stating that I don't take care of my father is asinine to say the least ... so, please do not assume that I am not ... dad can walk with the walker around the ship (slowly, but surely) and any easy excursions that we feel that he is capable of doing ... I certainly did not state nor imply that he's going to be on a walking tour or hiking up mountains, but merely can walk with his walker to an excursion meeting point and most likely on a van for a city tour.

Thank you for your suggestion, but until my father needs a wheelchair or scooter more than getting on/off the ship, we will stick to his walker and request and accept the wheelchair assistance as offered by the cruise line.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My husband Is and is also disabled (neck and back injury) but does not require a wheelchair (at least for now). Embarkation day is the hardest for him: the drive to the port, waiting to board usually in a hard plastic chair, walking up the gangway and then having to sit or stand longer while waiting for the room to be ready. Having a wheelchair to save the walking is such a help! While waiting for our room, we look for an empty couch or chaise lounge by the pool to use!

How do we contact port canaveral to arrange for the wheelchair?