Gratuities

lccruiser

I

In all the system is to blame - kudos to the people tip. But the people who do not lets remember they are doing nothing wrong because the system allows them to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I would take it one step further - if everyone paid the gratuities I think the amount needed to cover the staff wages would be less. I think they are raising the amounts of the tips to cover what people don’t pay. There is a price point for everything but I assume more people cancel tips as the prices go up. The cruise lines just hope the amount they charge will be kept on by most people. The nickel and diming is what they are best at.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe if tips were included than this would not be a problem. Raise the price a little and everyone would pay the same. And the crew would be much better off. :):):)

It's the cost of a cruise. I have it included when I book and don't look back. I do tip extra if our room steward does a great job. (Only once I'd didn't tip extra) things would have to be pretty bad for me to remove them.

Same here. Even if the service was horrendous, I don't think I'd have the heart to remove them.:)

I think the daily gratuitie for adults is $12.95 per day....... Do you pay the same amount for kids 6 and 10 years old?

Probably the tip per day for children should be more than that for an adult per day. Children generally make more mess and require more work than most adults. Feel free to increase the amount you tip for them accordingly.

So do you think it should have nothing to do with the amount of service you receive?

Has absolutely nothing to do with what I think. Has everything to do with the person being served and what they think. But whether a person tips a lot or a little, whatever is tipped is still considered wages to the person receiving them which the US Government concurs with which is why they tax tips as income.

We are travelling with friends that have cruised often. They stated on our bookings that they wanted the 15% gratuity removed as they would tip personally. So this $12.95 that I have seen on this thread is what the cruise line would've charged per person in a cabin upon booking? I feel like I would rather hand someone some cash than hope that whatever the cruise line charged actually went to that hard-working individual.

We are travelling with friends that have cruised often. They stated on our bookings that they wanted the 15% gratuity removed as they would tip personally. So this $12.95 that I have seen on this thread is what the cruise line would've charged per person in a cabin upon booking? I feel like I would rather hand someone some cash than hope that whatever the cruise line charged actually went to that hard-working individual.

So, you would rather do the calculations on how much of the daily gratuity goes to all the behind the scene crew, I.e. dishwasher, cooks, laundry workers. Then you are going to go throughout the ship with dozens of envelopes and pass them out?

I seriously doubt it. You are going to do what everyone else does who remove the standard gratuities, stick a Jackson in a envelope and magnanimously give it to your waiter on the last night.

Who do you think you are fooling? Readers on CC? You are cheap and after complaining about the nickel and dining on board turn around and do precisely the same thing to the staff that works 12 hours a day.

If you can’t afford to fulfill all your financial responsibilities when on a cruise go to Mt Airy Lodge in the Poconos. You will find folks there who think just like you.

So, you would rather do the calculations on how much of the daily gratuity goes to all the behind the scene crew, I.e. dishwasher, cooks, laundry workers. Then you are going to go throughout the ship with dozens of envelopes and pass them out?

I seriously doubt it. You are going to do what everyone else does who remove the standard gratuities, stick a Jackson in a envelope and magnanimously give it to your waiter on the last night.

Who do you think you are fooling? Readers on CC? You are cheap and after complaining about the nickel and dining on board turn around and do precisely the same thing to the staff that works 12 hours a day.

If you can’t afford to fulfill all your financial responsibilities when on a cruise go to Mt Airy Lodge in the Poconos. You will find folks there who think just like you.

Love the passion for all the behind the scenes people but the real issue is that the cruise lines let people do this and that their fellow workers are pocketing the money. You can tell people they are cheap and that they should vacations somewhere else but it’s not what the parent company wants. They want more people on their ships and spending money on all things that raise the bottom line. THEY don’t care about the workers and THEY are the cheap ones allowing anyone on the ship to remove wages from hard working, over worked, sleep deprived workers who have been promised more and end up with less. If THEY cared the cruise lines would make sure this was not an issue.

I am happy for all the people who keep their tips on and I reserve no judgment for the people who take them off. We are all welcome on the ship and can do what we like.

There are times that I think the gratuities are a little high for a family of 4 in one stateroom, but having worked for tips for years I would never ever think of removing them. My wife is extremely tidy and our room is kept neat. I have a tendency not to tip extra though. It just depends on how great the service is. When it was just me and the wife we always tipped extra. My mom and dad just finished a b2b cruise on princess, and they gave their steward and waiter an extra hundred, and my mom said both were over the moon. I don't think 90 percent of people know how hard the shipboard staff works.( I do I was a waiter on a cruise ship) I also don't think most realize how poor these workers are and how much value a dollar has to them. Seriously you don't have to tip extra, but sn extra 20 bucks is like 200 to them.

so you would rather hand it to them and have them hand it in so it can be properly distributed because if you remove your tips, the people you give it to MUST give it in to be distributed in the same manner as the auto tips. you accomplish nothing but potentially short changing them if you dont give the same amount or more

so you would rather hand it to them and have them hand it in so it can be properly distributed because if you remove your tips, the people you give it to MUST give it in to be distributed in the same manner as the auto tips. you accomplish nothing but potentially short changing them if you dont give the same amount or more

They don’t give it in - if you think they do I may have a bridge with tolls that are optional to sell you. I have asked may workers about this and have never got this answer. I think it’s a folk tale that has been told over and over to people who read these boards. I know you are going to tell me I am wrong but that won’t change my opinion of this wise mans tale. It’s a rule finders keepers and losers weepers. Everyone started on the cruise as something else and they were stiffed by people cancelling their tips. They do the same once they can. I would love to see the matre-di give all the money to this “general pool” once they realize someone removed their tips. They don’t. They wouldn’t. They have families to feed also. It’s survival of the fittest.

They don’t give it in - if you think they do I may have a bridge with tolls that are optional to sell you. I have asked may workers about this and have never got this answer. I think it’s a folk tale that has been told over and over to people who read these boards. I know you are going to tell me I am wrong but that won’t change my opinion of this wise mans tale. It’s a rule finders keepers and losers weepers. Everyone started on the cruise as something else and they were stiffed by people cancelling their tips. They do the same once they can. I would love to see the matre-di give all the money to this “general pool” once they realize someone removed their tips. They don’t. They wouldn’t. They have families to feed also. It’s survival of the fittest.

so what you are saying is 'if' its a rule that they have to share.. they will risk getting fired because of survival of the fittest. interesting concept.

You attempt to claim a fact (they don't turn it in) and then turn right around and say you don't know because no worker has ever answered you on this subject. IMO, you are just being cheap and using your beliefs (not facts) for your justification. Carnival will not stop you (for the time being) so you can continue being cheap if you want but you are, in fact, screwing over people who are serving you (I'd bet my next paycheck that you have never tipped the guy who removed your dishes by a poolside table or the guy who cooked your omelet in the morning).

BTW, it's not a wise man's rule but a cheap person's fairy tale. ;)

I'd also bet at some point in life you relied on tips to make a living, got stiffed (maybe rightfully so) and now see the opportunity to turn the table on someone else. And you seem happy about it. That's sad (again IMO).

I am saying that the system is broken and the higher ups know it. After that I think all of don’t know what is really going on.

And since you can, you're going to take advantage of that system. :rolleyes:

I agree, the system is broken. Carnival needs to change the current system to a Service charge type system where if you cruise, you have no option but to pay the fee and if you miss the cruise the service charge is returned like port charges and taxes. This change would also greatly reduce the workload at Guest Services......especially the last 2 nights of the cruise and also keep people from taking advantage of the system.I suspect that most people who claim they want to tip in person really don't tip at all and just pocket the money themselves to make their cruise cheaper. They couldn't care less about the "little guy" or their families. For the record, I will say I don't care about the little guy or their families either but I do follow the rules and tip what the cruise line says I should tip for adequate service.

You attempt to claim a fact (they don't turn it in) and then turn right around and say you don't know because no worker has ever answered you on this subject. IMO, you are just being cheap and using your beliefs (not facts) for your justification. Carnival will not stop you (for the time being) so you can continue being cheap if you want but you are, in fact, screwing over people who are serving you (I'd bet my next paycheck that you have never tipped the guy who removed your dishes by a poolside table or the guy who cooked your omelet in the morning).

BTW, it's not a wise man's rule but a cheap person's fairy tale. ;)

If it makes you feel good to call people cheap I am happy for you. You don’t know me or what I tip but I will gladly show you may last statements with the tips and all the extra tips I left when I was enjoying my beverage packages. Just let me know if your pay check will make it my way. On second thought I will let you keep your check just as a jester of my non cheapness!!

I have no issues with people taking off their tips and all the name calling won’t change that. The people can only do what the cruise lines allow them to. They can be cheap as you say but they have not stolen anything from anyone.

Again I love all your passion in the topic but the rhetoric is all wrong with a system set up as it is.

If it makes you feel good to call people cheap I am happy for you. You don’t know me or what I tip but I will gladly show you may last statements with the tips and all the extra tips I left when I was enjoying my beverage packages. Just let me know if your pay check will make it my way. On second thought I will let you keep your check just as a jester of my non cheapness!!

I have no issues with people taking off their tips and all the name calling won’t change that. The people can only do what the cruise lines allow them to. They can be cheap as you say but they have not stolen anything from anyone.

Again I love all your passion in the topic but the rhetoric is all wrong with a system set up as it is.

And I simply don't believe it. Anyone who spouts off how easily the system can be taken advantage of, from my experiences, is taking advantage of the system, with or without merit.

Never claimed anything I have ever said would change anything to a cruise passenger. That is specifically why I have called on Carnival to change the system so that people can no longer take advantage of it since some people can't police themselves to not take advantage of a poorly designed system.

BTW, you are the one using false analogies to support your beliefs, not me. You even claimed that in a previous post.

And I simply don't believe it. Anyone who spouts off how easily the system can be taken advantage of, from my experiences, is taking advantage of the system, with or without merit.

Never claimed anything I have ever said would change anything to a cruise passenger. That is specifically why I have called on Carnival to change the system so that people can no longer take advantage of it since some people can't police themselves to not take advantage of a poorly designed system.

BTW, you are the one using false analogies to support your beliefs, not me. You even claimed that in a previous post.

I think we are agreeing - only exception I took was you bet me your pay check that I never tipped. I tip and tip again and so I believe in my world I can spout of as I like about this topic. I love the people who work on the ships and speak to anyone I can about their home counties and hardships. Most of them have very sad stories of poverty and leaving behind their families for years at a time. My favorite people to tip are the pizza and deli workers as they are the most forgotten people who we all see in the ship. They are serving people all day and don’t see many people taking out a tip to give them. I find that they are very surprised when I give them a twenty on the first day and again more as the days continue. Besides the fact I don’t wait for pizza or deli again - I have learned so much from them in terms of work ethic and sacrifice.

However people can remove their tips and that’s a fact. Would love as you would carnival to change this policy for the betterment of the people who give us a great time and have made so many sacrifices in their lives. The true cheap people are the people is suits bowing to the bottom line of shareholders and taking advantage. But more people on the ship is more money to them. They believe these wonderful workers are expendable and so they allow people to take advantage.