Molde - Troll Road tour or stay in Molde/use local bus.

We spent a morning in Molde before sailing to Andalsnes for our afternoon shorex to Trollstigen and Trollvegen. A ship tour as we could not get the local buses to work with our timings. We were incredibly fortunate that day as the weather was perfect and the drive in both directions and the views were stunning. Although early summer (mid-May) there was still a little snow at the summit viewpoint. We would have liked a little longer at the top but the group had limited time there.

Molde itself is an attractive town in a scenic location and some nice walking around the town and along the waterfront if you have a couple of hours to spare and the weather is good. Those who did the Atlantic Road shorex, that morning were, I seem to remember, rather underwhelmed so I suggest you have a look at photos on Tripadvisor or google something like "Trollstigen images", the same for the "Atlantic Road images". Might help you decide because of course you do take a chance on weather in Norway as you risk seeing almost nothing in poor weather. Also, do you not need to travel Molde/ Andalsnes/Trollstigen/Andalsnes if using the public bus? If so would you have time?

You did not say which shorex you were doing from Geiranger but I hope it is Mt Dalsnibba. We were equally lucky there with perfect weather for our shorex up to the summit. More stunning views, another twisty road, still some snow up at the summit there too.

These were the two best (and I think only) shorex we did on that itinerary, both were expensive and views and the overall experience of both were weather dependant so we really were lucky. I hope you are too whatever you decide.

We spent a morning in Molde before sailing to Andalsnes for our afternoon shorex to Trollstigen and Trollvegen. A ship tour as we could not get the local buses to work with our timings. We were incredibly fortunate that day as the weather was perfect and the drive in both directions and the views were stunning. Although early summer (mid-May) there was still a little snow at the summit viewpoint. We would have liked a little longer at the top but the group had limited time there.

Molde itself is an attractive town in a scenic location and some nice walking around the town and along the waterfront if you have a couple of hours to spare and the weather is good. Those who did the Atlantic Road shorex, that morning were, I seem to remember, rather underwhelmed so I suggest you have a look at photos on Tripadvisor or google something like "Trollstigen images", the same for the "Atlantic Road images". Might help you decide because of course you do take a chance on weather in Norway as you risk seeing almost nothing in poor weather. Also, do you not need to travel Molde/ Andalsnes/Trollstigen/Andalsnes if using the public bus? If so would you have time?

You did not say which shorex you were doing from Geiranger but I hope it is Mt Dalsnibba. We were equally lucky there with perfect weather for our shorex up to the summit. More stunning views, another twisty road, still some snow up at the summit there too.

These were the two best (and I think only) shorex we did on that itinerary, both were expensive and views and the overall experience of both were weather dependant so we really were lucky. I hope you are too whatever you decide.

Thank you. We have found that the Troll Path tour is now booked up online, it went within a day of coming on line, and the only option is to book it as soon as we board the ship. The Helleyset to Gerainger tour includes Mt Dalsnibba.

Sadly the Path of the Trolls is booked up but may have availability to book on the ship. Our other plan is to hike to the viewpoint and look around the museum, and a bit of shopping as there is a good local yarn store in town - I am a keen knitter. If we have time we will take the local bus round trip to the Atlantic Ocean Road.

I hope you get the opportunity to book when you board, but if not, Molde is really quite attractive.

We explored the central part of the town including the church, then went to the open air museum, some of which could be accessed without paying. We didn't want to pay for full access as we had already visited open air museums elsewhere and as it was a half day stop we didn't have too much time. We walked along to the Peace Grove, then headed down towards the waterfront and walked that route back. As it was a lovely day and a scenic setting we really enjoyed the time we had there.

As you sail into Molde, you will see a very odd shaped building. It is a hotel which you pass as you walk the waterfront. We went in to explore the lobby and discovered a conference room named "Glasgow". It was a tribute to HMS Glasgow which sailed into Molde to rescue the King, his son, politicians and some of Norways gold reserves from the ****s who were pursuing them. Enjoy.

We rented a car in Molde and drove the Atlantic Ocean Road. Although nice scenery, we found it rather boring and over -rated. If we had to do it over, we would opt for the Troll Rd or another...that Troll Rd looks exciting!

Enjoy and Safe Travels!

• 8 months later...

So, I have a similar question and don't want to start a new thread (even though I know this one is 9 months old).

I will be in Molde in June on HAL Koningsdam. Our cruise does not have a stop in Alesund, so if I want to do the Troll Road tour, this is my only choice. The port times were previously 7-3 but I looked again recently and it's now 7-4 and the cruise line is now offering a "Molde & the Troll Path" tour leaving at 7:30, lasting 8 hours I found a provider who is able to offer a private tour with the time constraints, and told me that they are the company offering the cruise line's tour so I should not worry about getting back on time. Even better, this company is only charging ~$125 vs $300 that the cruise line is charging (HAL includes lunch but it's not worth $175!).

Now, complicating things is that I contacted another tour provider who normally does not do the tour from Molde but does from Alesund. They checked to see if they could offer a private tour and said that they would not be able to because of the timing. We're in port on Sunday and although we get there at 7, the first ferry is at 8:15, and the provider felt that the tour would be rushed, nothing more than driving around and pointing.

I appreciate their honesty, but given that this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, I feel that a rushed tour would be better than none at all (especially since those who have done other tours here have said they wished they did the Troll Road).

Any options?

I second the Troll Road as we were thee 2 years ago.

Thanks. I think that a rushed tour is better than no tour at all. It is unfortunate that HAL did not give us longer in port since we have a sea day after that. But I guess it takes time to get to Honningsvag.

So, I have a similar question and don't want to start a new thread (even though I know this one is 9 months old).

I will be in Molde in June on HAL Koningsdam. Our cruise does not have a stop in Alesund, so if I want to do the Troll Road tour, this is my only choice. The port times were previously 7-3 but I looked again recently and it's now 7-4 and the cruise line is now offering a "Molde & the Troll Path" tour leaving at 7:30, lasting 8 hours I found a provider who is able to offer a private tour with the time constraints, and told me that they are the company offering the cruise line's tour so I should not worry about getting back on time. Even better, this company is only charging ~$125 vs $300 that the cruise line is charging (HAL includes lunch but it's not worth $175!).

Now, complicating things is that I contacted another tour provider who normally does not do the tour from Molde but does from Alesund. They checked to see if they could offer a private tour and said that they would not be able to because of the timing. We're in port on Sunday and although we get there at 7, the first ferry is at 8:15, and the provider felt that the tour would be rushed, nothing more than driving around and pointing.

I appreciate their honesty, but given that this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us, I feel that a rushed tour would be better than none at all (especially since those who have done other tours here have said they wished they did the Troll Road).

Any options?

We had the same decision to make, pay the tour price for the cruise company, find another provider, and we also costed up and planned a self drive with a one day rental. In the end up we chose to stay with the cruise company tour as then there was no chance of missing the boat, and my husband could enjoy the trip without having to worry about navigation and missing ferry connections (from Molde there is a ferry out and ferry back as part of the trip).

Certainly do the Troll Road, it is excellent, we thoroughly enjoyed it and would not have wanted to miss the opportunity.

We had the same decision to make, pay the tour price for the cruise company, find another provider, and we also costed up and planned a self drive with a one day rental. In the end up we chose to stay with the cruise company tour as then there was no chance of missing the boat, and my husband could enjoy the trip without having to worry about navigation and missing ferry connections (from Molde there is a ferry out and ferry back as part of the trip).

Certainly do the Troll Road, it is excellent, we thoroughly enjoyed it and would not have wanted to miss the opportunity.

Thanks. I agree that a do-it-yourself tour is a bad idea in this case because of the short time window, plus as you say, you want to be able to enjoy the scenery. In this case, I have no reason not to believe the tour company when they tell me that they are the ones providing the ship's tour(that is apparently most of their business), so I'm pretty sure that I will be safe getting back to the ship on time. I know there is a ferry, and apparently there would have been an earlier one had it been a weekday, which is why the other company said that they did not want to offer anything. I figure we will be on the same ferry back as the people on the ship's excursion.

• 4 months later...

I'm curious who the private provider was that you contacted to do the Molde and the troll path excursion. We are going on the HAL Koningsdam in July and don't want to pay the 299.00 price for the cruise tour. Our ship will be in port from 8am to 10pm. Thanks.

Hi. We did the tour this week and it was excellent! I used this company - https://moereguide.com/portfolio/path-of-the-trolls/. They're actually the ones who do it for the cruise lines. They were doing public tours this year but when I last checked, they claimed to be sold out for the season (which seemed odd) so a private tour might be your only option. I managed to get 30 people to sign up for the tour and had to collect money before we left because the company said they would bill me after the tour. Everyone on the tour loved it.

I'm still in Norway but when I get back on Sunday I'll try to find the name of the other provider I had contacted who wouldn't do the tour because we did not have enough time in port.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I did email the company even though it does say they are sold out for the season and I would be interested in the the name of the other private provider. We will fly out Tues evening and have a few days in Amsterdam before we board the Koningsdam on July 1st. I have booked an e car in Geiranger to tour on our own and am trying to book a kayak tour and possibly hiking with Flat Earth adventures in Eidfjord. Any other suggestions from your trip? Thanks again!

Stellasister,

We did this cruise the first week of June and loved it! I will share with you that Flat Earth in Eidfjord would not let us book directly with them, since they were reserving every single spot for the HAL kayak excursion. My kids were determined to kayak there, so they booked it through HAL. My husband and I went a different route and just walked along the road about a mile and a half or so to Lake Eidfjord then swung back and walked the grounds around the old church. Very nice day! The wildflowers were in full bloom and the lake was gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Thank you. I found that out today from Flat Earth and think we are going to do the same and hike to lake Eid and spend time in the town. I liked the sounds of the hike to Kjeasen Farm but it seems we would have to get transportation to the trailhead? What did you do in Molde? Thanks for responding!

Hi Stellasister,

Our cruise did not got to Molde. This is probably too late to be of any help as you board tomorrow. But if you have the chance to go to Trollstigen from Molde, DO IT! We went from Alesund and it was the best part of our trip! We rented a car from Avis and went at our own pace, stopping and taking little hikes and pictures all along the way. If you do get the opportunity to go to Trollstigen, it is some of the most stunning scenery I’ve ever seen.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you like the walk out to Lake Eidfjord as much as we did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums