Help finding travel insurance!

I work for the British Army, and the families would purchase UK travel insurance and get posted out to Brunei for 2-3 years. That insurance only covered them on their journey from UK-Brunei-UK, but if they were to travel eg from Brunei-Singapore-Brunei, they were not covered under certain circumstances, and sometimes their extended family was not covered either, which caused dramas and issues in the past.

It got to the stage that they broadcast it over BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service, like the BBC, but Forces specific) regularly (at least once an hour).

Insurance is insurance: one of my Colour Sergeant’s carries 330 rounds of ammo, and another Corporal carried 1000 rounds; they didn’t need it every day they were on patrol, but darn it, they carried that load everywhere when they were outside the wire...you may never need it, but you’ll be glad you had it? Just have to read the fine print on all policies, not just travel insurance, or insurance for that matter...

Nick

Brunei

Thanks Nick, one would have thought the British Army would have covered travel insurance for the soldiers and/or their families. A bit rude on a posting army families having to insure themselves. My late father was in the British Army from 1940 to 1964, (Northamptonshire Regt/East Anglian Regt/Royal Anglian Regt.) We travelled overseas to Gibraltar, Germany, Hong Kong, Malaya with him, mainly by troopship, not sure if we had travel insurance back then, probably was not invented.

Soldier on old son.:cool: Stay safe it is a jungle out there, even in the desert.

Yes read the fine print, essential for any insurance policy.

Thanks Nick, one would have thought the British Army would have covered travel insurance for the soldiers and/or their families. A bit rude on a posting army families having to insure themselves. My late father was in the British Army from 1940 to 1964, (Northamptonshire Regt/East Anglian Regt/Royal Anglian Regt.) We travelled overseas to Gibraltar, Germany, Hong Kong, Malaya with him, mainly by troopship, not sure if we had travel insurance back then, probably was not invented.

Soldier on old son.:cool: Stay safe it is a jungle out there, even in the desert.

I’m one of the permanent civilian staff that assist the Army out here. Working with the Gurkha’s, nice lads.

It was more to do with some families purchasing personal travel insurance, so for visiting family members (ie siblings, parents, friends etc), they may be covered flying out of/in to the UK, but travel from Brunei was not covered.

As far as I’m aware the immediate family unit itself (service member, spouse and dependants) are covered by the respective insurances that currently exist. Duty Travel is obviously covered, but please do not quote me on this, there are quite a few policies regarding this that is available on the intranet that I don’t have access to.

It’s just to cover aeromedical evacuation and hospitalisation, from my understanding. Some is included, some is not, and to travel from this end back to the UK is a pretty penny, to say the least.

Old school travel would be well different than what it is now, it’s all a matter of litigation and privileges...definitely a jungle out here too, currently 34°C and 85% humidity...but my office is by the beach, can’t complain too much.

IMG_1519018319.599832.thumb.jpg.a3a732bcb0a25d812562e03af84e7274.jpg

Nick

Brunei

I’m one of the permanent civilian staff that assist the Army out here. Working with the Gurkha’s, nice lads.

It was more to do with some families purchasing personal travel insurance, so for visiting family members (ie siblings, parents, friends etc), they may be covered flying out of/in to the UK, but travel from Brunei was not covered.

As far as I’m aware the immediate family unit itself (service member, spouse and dependants) are covered by the respective insurances that currently exist. Duty Travel is obviously covered, but please do not quote me on this, there are quite a few policies regarding this that is available on the intranet that I don’t have access to.

It’s just to cover aeromedical evacuation and hospitalisation, from my understanding. Some is included, some is not, and to travel from this end back to the UK is a pretty penny, to say the least.

Old school travel would be well different than what it is now, it’s all a matter of litigation and privileges...definitely a jungle out here too, currently 34°C and 85% humidity...but my office is by the beach, can’t complain too much.

[ATTACH]414767[/ATTACH]

Nick

Brunei

Thanks Nick and come onto our Aussie board anytime. 34C and 85% humidty, just like here sometimes and like that in Qld most of the time. Thank God for A/C !!:halo: Are you a cruiser yourself?

Good to see you supporting the Gurkhas, as you would probably know, a lot of ex Gurkha Soldiers get jobs with the cruise lines as security staff, seen plenty of them in my travels on the ships. Great blokes, soldiers. I could tell you a story as kid in HK in the mid - late 1950's going to school in an a Gurkha Armoured Car, we were safe from the rioting Chinese. The Kukris reign supreme.:cool: All the best.

(I will be in England's green and pleasant land in May/June/July, bit of cruisin', bit of driv'in. )

Thanks Nick and come onto our Aussie board anytime. 34C and 85% humidty, just like here sometimes and like that in Qld most of the time. Thank God for A/C !!:halo: Are you a cruiser yourself?

Good to see you supporting the Gurkhas, as you would probably know, a lot of ex Gurkha Soldiers get jobs with the cruise lines as security staff, seen plenty of them in my travels on the ships. Great blokes, soldiers. I could tell you a story as kid in HK in the mid - late 1950's going to school in an a Gurkha Armoured Car, we were safe from the rioting Chinese. The Kukris reign supreme.:cool: All the best.

Agreed wholeheartedly on the A/C...used to live in 2795 for 8 years and 4556 for 2.5 before I came back, we’ll used to an Aussie summer, especially out west a bit...thanks for the invite to the board; an upcoming cruise in March is my second, but first with RCCL.

When I was in 4556 I wanted to do cruise security on P&O or similar, I was a licensed QLD security officer (un armed, armed and crowd control) and a supervisor in places like Bribie Is and Narangba, of all places, but I was two months short of even having a look in. Would have changed the opportunities and where I am now, but such are the ways of life.

1950’s HK would have been an interesting place; that CPL I was telling you about is one of the last that was under 10 GR just before the amalgamation into the current day Royal Gurkha Rifles and handover in 1997, retiring in a few months, but hard as nails. Great bloke...

Nick

Brunei