Sharing drinks packages

Hi everyone

This is a general observation really since my cruise is over and I wasn't drinking while I was on it given I was cruising alone with my children.

Anyway, I was chatting with a couple who were both drinking a fair amount and I commented on the price of the drinks on board. They said they had purchased one drink package but both were sharing it. Just one of them technically had it and would go up to the bar and get a drink every 20 minutes or so it seemed.

Anyway, I thought you couldn't do that but it didn't seem that hard for them which made me wonder if that was the reason why the drinks are so expensive in the first place - because RCCL expects this to happen and up the prices for all of us to account for people doing that. Kind of irritating. Or is that allowed between people sharing a stateroom or for Diamond plus members or something?

Hi everyone

This is a general observation really since my cruise is over and I wasn't drinking while I was on it given I was cruising alone with my children.

Anyway, I was chatting with a couple who were both drinking a fair amount and I commented on the price of the drinks on board. They said they had purchased one drink package but both were sharing it. Just one of them technically had it and would go up to the bar and get a drink every 20 minutes or so it seemed.

Anyway, I thought you couldn't do that but it didn't seem that hard for them which made me wonder if that was the reason why the drinks are so expensive in the first place - because RCCL expects this to happen and up the prices for all of us to account for people doing that. Kind of irritating. Or is that allowed between people sharing a stateroom or for Diamond plus members or something?

No, it's never allowed and I'm very surprised they got away with it. Every cruise I've been on since th packages came in the staff have been checking closely for this kind of behaviour.

This is simply a question of ethics and honesty. If someone chooses to steal, so be it. Problem is, and why we get irate, it effects all of us. This is EXACTLY why other cruiselines require all people in a cabin 21 or over to purchase the package. RCCL doesn't That'll change because of these people. They can justify it as they wish, but it's still totally unethical and a form of theft. Amazing how people feel it's ok to do this. Speaks highly to character.

It's essentially theft. It seems like now, even as affordable as cruising is today and the value it is compared to traditional vacations lots of passengers still try to get one over on the cruise lines. There's nothing wrong with a free drink or something here and there and a certain amount of product "walking" out the door is factored into every business but it doesn't mean the person doing the walking isn't still cheating. I've heard more than once lately of folks getting caught doing this, having their package canceled, charged the full price and cut-off from purchasing any more liquor on board.

It's essentially theft.

Yes

. There's nothing wrong with a free drink or something here and there

Yes there is. See your opening statement. It may be factored in, but it is still theft.

I've heard more than once lately of folks getting caught doing this, having their package canceled, charged the full price and cut-off from purchasing any more liquor on board.

Why would they cut you off from purchasing more liquor on board? They aren't going to stop you from spending even more.

I was chatting with a couple who were both drinking a fair amount and I commented on the price of the drinks on board. They said they had purchased one drink package but both were sharing it. Just one of them technically had it and would go up to the bar and get a drink every 20 minutes or so it seemed.

I saw this on the Liberty also when we sailed in April. It was actually someone who recognized me from where I work! They would get a drink at one bar then walk to the next bar for another one. If you can be that dishonest on vacation, what are you like when you're home?

People like them end up ruining it for the rest of us!

Laurie

So...I'm diamond as is my mom ....we each would get three drinks a nite 5-8 ...i get the drink package because i like to drink what i like . So she might have one a nite ...now if i hand her one drink a day by the pool is it really stealing since we leave five drinks a day on the table???? Just a thought... last cruise i handed her one pina colada in 12 nites ..she bought others .I would never share a package with a drinker .....

Yes, sharing a drink package is wrong (…and it is stealing). The other side of this is that drinks prices on RCI are outrageous. Are they “stealing” from me every time I buy a drink? No, because I choose to buy it but I feel like is an abuse that they can get away with. Do I keep coming back to RCI to cruise? Definitely because at the end of the day I am happy with my (fewer) drinks and my cruise.

Two wrongs don’t make it right. Another choice is to cruise with another line (Princess needs to start sailing from Port Canaveral…).

BTW - we've cancelled our drink packages for our upcoming cruise (we liked the idea/concept) but the math does not add up, no savings, etc. We’ll buy drink’s as we go and I know we won’t even come close to the price of the package.

Edited by Rafa

So...I'm diamond as is my mom ....we each would get three drinks a nite 5-8 ...i get the drink package because i like to drink what i like . So she might have one a nite ...now if i hand her one drink a day by the pool is it really stealing since we leave five drinks a day on the table???? Just a thought... last cruise i handed her one pina colada in 12 nites ..she bought others .I would never share a package with a drinker .....

yes it is still stealing.

doesn't matter if you cheat on one drink or three dozen. its people like you who try and twist things to their advantage that will lead to the END of the 3 drinks vouchers altogether and the reintroduction of EVERYONE having to buy a drinks package.

As far as I know there are no restrictions as to how you use those three free drinks. Sharing drinks from a package is, as noted, out and out theft.

yes it is still stealing.

doesn't matter if you cheat on one drink or three dozen. its people like you who try and twist things to their advantage that will lead to the END of the 3 drinks vouchers altogether and the reintroduction of EVERYONE having to buy a drinks package.

Though I agree about the stealing, I don't agree with your predicted consequences. The 3 free drink vouchers have nothing to do with drink packages or people sharing them. As for the need for everyone in a cabin to have a package, I doubt it. Remember they tried that initially. The drink packages exist to generate revenue and any change that decreases revenue is unlikely to happen.

Though I agree about the stealing, I don't agree with your predicted consequences. The 3 free drink vouchers have nothing to do with drink packages or people sharing them. As for the need for everyone in a cabin to have a package, I doubt it. Remember they tried that initially. The drink packages exist to generate revenue and any change that decreases revenue is unlikely to happen.

All I was saying is they save "30" free drinks on my average cruise which is typically 10 days since I don't use my perks .. I am well aware they are two different things ..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is not personal but I always laugh when the "drink police" come into these threads and keep harping the same old story. I laugh because the majority of cruisers bring on their own water, soda or whatever -including said police.

Both are against the rules and yet I never see the "non-alcoholic drink police" around. It still takes money away form RC.

Both of these rules will continue to be broken until changes are made or are better enforced but that's on royal not us and, in until that time, people will do what they will do.

Do I care if someone shares a package, not one bit. Just like I don't care if someone brings 2 cases of bottled water on board. Either way, there is consequences if RC starts enforcing, as long as those people realize what those consequences are then that's all that matters.

Cheers.

popcorn.gif

Edited by csnarpy

This is not personal but I always laugh when the "drink police" come into these threads and keep harping the same old story. I laugh because the majority of cruisers bring on their own water, soda or whatever -including said police.

Both are against the rules and yet I never see the "non-alcoholic drink police" around. It still takes money away form RC.

Both of these rules will continue to be broken until changes are made or are better enforced but that's on royal not us and, in until that time, people will do what they will do.

Do I care if someone shares a package, not one bit. Just like I don't care if someone brings 2 cases of bottled water on board. Either way, there is consequences if RC starts enforcing, as long as those people realize what those consequences are then that's all that matters.

Cheers.

popcorn.gif

Not sure how I feel about this, but you DO make a very valid point. I don't see a difference in the two either.

Hi everyone

And people complain about prices going up. Here is an example why. Choosing to "steal" from the cruise lines affects all of us.. Can't afford it, don't do it. Don't cheat or steal to accomplish your goals. That is what we taught our children.. Good role models, this couple is.. :rolleyes:

Not sure how I feel about this, but you DO make a very valid point. I don't see a difference in the two either.

Never brought any bottled water or soda on board. I also always abide by the suggested dress code and have yet to hog a pool side deck lounger. Believe it or not, there are people who don't see a need to break any rules big or small regardless of personal opinion on a subject. I may not like that the cruise line does not want me to bring soda on board, but I am not going to disregard their request either. Their house, their rules

Sent from my iPad using Forums