Sol Y Mar Beach Club

Mimi19510

Here is my thread from the beginning of the year and I didn’t get any replies from anyone who had actually visited. We didn’t have time to call in and check it out in the end but we did pass it and it is quite close to the port.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2585308&highlight=Sol

There are several reviews on TripAdvisor and I would consider trying it another time for convenience so long as reviews don’t suggest it has become overdeveloped. You can arrange day pass directly and transport through the resort, or have a private driver and just pay an entrance fee. Please report back if you go.

• 3 weeks later...

We are planning to go there in June as well. We have booked the day with Ronys and plan to go to Little Daniels Monkey and sloth Hangout. Then to head off to Infinity Bay Beach club on West Bay. But looking at the map, I think we would spend an hour just riding from Little Daniels to infinity Bay. My understanding from Rony is that Sol Y Mar is much closer to Coxen Hole. And very nice. Less time traveling, more beach time. Only downside, no pool. :(

• 1 month later...
We are also to this resort in June. Hopefully we made a good choice!

We are planning to go there in June as well. We have booked the day with Ronys and plan to go to Little Daniels Monkey and sloth Hangout. Then to head off to Infinity Bay Beach club on West Bay. But looking at the map, I think we would spend an hour just riding from Little Daniels to infinity Bay. My understanding from Rony is that Sol Y Mar is much closer to Coxen Hole. And very nice. Less time traveling, more beach time. Only downside, no pool. :(

Any updates on this resort?

• 1 month later...

I’m so sorry, we got busy when we got home and I forgot all bout it. The resort itself is beautiful. Music, dancing, the Buffett ( which was really just a plate served to you with different foods) was good and decently priced. They had plenty of chairs and the service was excellent. But! The beach itself is horrible. It wasn’t bad, just ok. There seemed to be lots of sand fleas, and it’s not really in one of the prettier locations. We’ve done West Bay before and all we could talk about was how incredible the water was. You could snorkel right there off the beach. At Sol Y Mar that was t the case. Maybe it was just that way the day we went, but I’m not sure. If you are going to sit on the beach and relax and just play in the water it’s fine. If you plan on going for spectacular water and snorkeling I would go elsewhere. I’ll include some picture and you can decide for yourself. I will say this, it was very nice not having vendors constantly coming up to you. WiFi was spotty but otherwise they were an ok resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2f7ae1e2d6c9d381cdcf6d4be955a592.jpg

Thanks for the report I have been waiting to hear from someone who has actually been!

Given the convenience of the location and lack of vendors seems it might be worth a try. Looks like plenty of loungers but was there plenty of shade? Sand fleas can be an issue anywhere on Roatan on any given day.

Thanks for the report I have been waiting to hear from someone who has actually been!

Given the convenience of the location and lack of vendors seems it might be worth a try. Looks like plenty of loungers but was there plenty of shade? Sand fleas can be an issue anywhere on Roatan on any given day.

I’d say give it a try. The sand fleas are definitely an issue on Roatan anywhere so that kinda makes it not an issue I guess, lol. They had pretty of loungers and shade seemed to be 60/40. We didn’t get there until around 11 that day and it was pretty crowded so they didn’t have an umbrella for us but we did get out near a tree that provided some shade. They did have other stuff that we didn’t try out as we were there mainly to swim and snorkel. The whole port for us that day was kind of a bummer as Roatan is our favorite stop but it happens! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes! Ps I also recommend Victor Bodden tours. We did a private tour that basically took us all over, and playing with the sloths ended up being our favorite part of the day!

I’d say give it a try. The sand fleas are definitely an issue on Roatan anywhere so that kinda makes it not an issue I guess, lol. They had pretty of loungers and shade seemed to be 60/40. We didn’t get there until around 11 that day and it was pretty crowded so they didn’t have an umbrella for us but we did get out near a tree that provided some shade. They did have other stuff that we didn’t try out as we were there mainly to swim and snorkel. The whole port for us that day was kind of a bummer as Roatan is our favorite stop but it happens! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes! Ps I also recommend Victor Bodden tours. We did a private tour that basically took us all over, and playing with the sloths ended up being our favorite part of the day!

Thanks, nothing scheduled right now but always on the look out for new places on Roatan.

We prefer quieter places and were not that impressed with West Bay and the crowds but I can understand if you mainly want to snorkel. We actually found a very quiet place last time in West End but didn’t find the route that exciting and would prefer not to have to travel so far if possible. Again thanks for your review doesn’t seem like many people have found it yet.

I’m so sorry, we got busy when we got home and I forgot all bout it. The resort itself is beautiful. Music, dancing, the Buffett ( which was really just a plate served to you with different foods) was good and decently priced. They had plenty of chairs and the service was excellent. But! The beach itself is horrible. It wasn’t bad, just ok. There seemed to be lots of sand fleas, and it’s not really in one of the prettier locations. We’ve done West Bay before and all we could talk about was how incredible the water was. You could snorkel right there off the beach. At Sol Y Mar that was t the case. Maybe it was just that way the day we went, but I’m not sure. If you are going to sit on the beach and relax and just play in the water it’s fine. If you plan on going for spectacular water and snorkeling I would go elsewhere. I’ll include some picture and you can decide for yourself. I will say this, it was very nice not having vendors constantly coming up to you. WiFi was spotty but otherwise they were an ok resort.

Thank you so much for coming back to check on us wondering how things are at Sol Y Mar!! Now I'm not sure what to do. Is the water clear there? We plan to snorkel at a few places during our trip, so I'm not so disappointed if we can't snorkel there, but I do prefer clear water. I won't even get into the water at the beach here because I can't see what's around me. Haven't actually swam in the ocean locally since Jaws was released, so that's been quite some time!! :o:oAlso, is there a choice on your food? Hubby is allergic to shrimp and I don't eat them, so that might be an issue. Thanks again for coming back!!