re meat pies

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:41 AM.
Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
I have never heard of a chicken and eel pie before.
Sounds nice, have to put it on our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels menu at our board meeting tomorrow. We do have MyChef Chicken Mornay and rice, but not Chicken and moray pie, do they bite? The pie I mean not the eel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Sounds nice, have to put it on our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels menu at our board meeting tomorrow. We do have MyChef Chicken Mornay and rice, but not Chicken and moray pie, do they bite? The pie I mean not the eel.
LOl, would be interesting combination, funnily enough, I would likely try one.
86 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by GUT2407
Not sure what bus you mean? They have a couple of routes

https://www.bigbustours.com/en/sydne...SACEgKZJvD_BwE

There is a Harry's on George Street near Capitol theatre I'd guess getting off at Central and a short walk down George would be the way to go.
Maybe a walk down George St is not a good option with all the construction going on at the present time ,I believe the Drop Bears are very aggressive
Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by beatleman
Maybe a walk down George St is not a good option with all the construction going on at the present time ,I believe the Drop Bears are very aggressive
Isn't the construction is further down the towards Wynyard and Circular Quay rather than Central however the drop bears can be an issue anywhere along that stretch.
Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I was just at Woolworths and a tube of Pringles - Meat Pie flavour, jumped into my trolley. I think they were mentioned on here a few weeks ago by Mr Gut? Anyone tried them.

Have to wait until wine'oclock to sample them. So sad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

86 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
I was just at Woolworths and a tube of Pringles - Meat Pie flavour, jumped into my trolley. I think they were mentioned on here a few weeks ago by Mr Gut? Anyone tried them.

Hope yo survive the ordeal Uncle Lea, I believe they are Canada's answer to the Scot's Deep Fried Mars Bar
Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by beatleman
Hope yo survive the ordeal Uncle Lea, I believe they are Canada's answer to the Scot's Deep Fried Mars Bar
Crikey, I might have to smother them in Aldi tomato sauce. Give youse all a report later, if I am still alive.lol.

I actually did try a deep fried Mars Bar in the UK a few years ago, purchased it at a fish and chipper in Essex, not Scotland, so probably not ridgey didge. I ate it but did not like it, perhaps I should have put salt and malt vinegar on it like the cod and chips.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
If they give you heart burn, then they may be authentic.
Or if one starts highland dancing after consuming the said delicacy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

South East Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia
273 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
DH and I have been in south west Victoria the past three days visiting my parents at Warrnambool. Yesterday we drove to Port Fairy and had lunch at Cobb's Bakery. I had a fabulous beef and veggie pastie and DH had potato/cottage pie and a beef and kidney one which he was most impressed with. They have a wide range of pies, pasties and sausage rolls plus I saw apple turnovers! Other district bakeries that produce great pies are Chitticks and Browns at Warrnambool and Clarkes at Mortlake. The Terang Country Bakery which has recently opened has already won places in the Great Australian Pie Competition.

Leigh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pacific Dawn 15-9-2012 New Caledonia and Vanuatu
Pacific Pearl 7-4-2014 New Caledonia
Diamond Princess 27-3-2015 Singapore
Voyager of the Seas 26-3-2017 New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji
Golden Princess 24-02-2018 from Melbourne to New Caledonia and Vanuatu
Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006

Well just had a couple of Pringles - meat pie flavour. Smaller box = smaller Pringles. look the same as others, and they have the Pringle crunch and I can taste a burnt taste like something remotely resembling a meat pie, - burnt pastry and meat flavour. Not bad, but not great, 6/10. Maybe the Teachers Scotch and Schweppes dry ginger ale was not the right adult beverage to accompany the Pringles.

Forwarded for information.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Well just had a couple of Pringles - meat pie flavour. Smaller box = smaller Pringles. look the same as others, and they have the Pringle crunch and I can taste a burnt taste like something remotely resembling a meat pie, - burnt pastry and meat flavour. Not bad, but not great, 6/10. Maybe the Teachers Scotch and Schweppes dry ginger ale was not the right adult beverage to accompany the Pringles.

Drop the pringles and the dry and you are set for the evening.
essex uk and calabria italy
784 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Crikey, I might have to smother them in Aldi tomato sauce. Give youse all a report later, if I am still alive.lol.

I actually did try a deep fried Mars Bar in the UK a few years ago, purchased it at a fish and chipper in Essex, not Scotland, so probably not ridgey didge. I ate it but did not like it, perhaps I should have put salt and malt vinegar on it like the cod and chips.
ESSEX,are you sure,or is this a wind up lol.
Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by brian1
ESSEX,are you sure,or is this a wind up lol.
No wind up Brian, I have relos in Benfleet and Rayleigh. I got the deep fried mars bar in Sarfend on Mud. They are quite common in London, I do believe.

Maybe you have been in exile in Calabria for too long old son, lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
9,732 Posts
Joined Mar 2006

Made in Malaysia, not buying them anymore. Pringles used to be made in Belgium.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Melbourne
496 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
John Birmingham's reason 10 for voting no (satirical):

Because have you ever seen a gay man eat a pie?. When the gay marriage law enslaves the bakers of the nation and forces them to make gay wedding cakes and nothing else there will be no more pies.
I come from a land down under
22,980 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Docker123

Because have you ever seen a gay man eat a pie?. When the gay marriage law enslaves the bakers of the nation and forces them to make gay wedding cakes and nothing else there will be no more pies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canberra Australia
38,116 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Docker123

Is he related to Billy?
Melbourne
496 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Is he related to Billy?
I don't think they are related.

John came from Qld, wrote He Died With A Felafel in His Hand.

Billy, 12th Man, is from Sydney.