Uber loses London licence

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
British Isles/Western Europe
Amsterdam, Brugge, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (Dover, Harwich, Southampton)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:59 PM.
Redditch England
1,856 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by newport dave
Find it amazing how many people suddenly can't function in life without Uber. Its only been going for a few years, what did they do beforehand???

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
I confess to being more than a little suspicious about these vast numbers of people supporting Uber. The appeal of the app based system is obviously convenience. Before Uber, you could either stand on the kerb and flag down a passing cab, or phone a private hire company who would invariable tell you "be there in ten minutes guv" and actually turn up sometime in the next hour, if at all.

Pre-booked private hire is a lot more reliable; partly because the scheduler has more time to plan the journey in, and partly because they rely on that business and do not want to see bad reviews.

It takes a long time to qualify as a black cab driver; hundreds of hours driving a moped around London's streets "doing the knowledge". The problem is that, as satnavs have become more and more sophisticated, with live traffic updates etc, all that hard work is becoming less relevant.

Maybe TFL need to look for a better solution.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Søren Kierkegaard
1,258 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
It doesn't surprise me at all.

If Uber have 40,000 drivers in London (and TFL would know as it is TFL that actually licence them) that is an awful lot of customers to fill those cars even if some of the drivers are part time.

As to why they have been successful...

Black cabs are terrible. Overpriced, wouldn't take anything other than cash, wouldn't go to certain areas, wouldn't pick up certain types of customer.

Minicabs. You book it and it doesn't turn up and when you call they are always five minutes away. And when they did turn up the cars were horrible.

And don't forget that Uber built this from nothing in a city that has one of the best public transport systems in the world.
18,481 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by tartanexile81
I haven't used Uber in London but I have in the USA and maybe I've been lucky but Uber drivers have been far better and much cheaper than registered taxi drivers, particular in New York and Florida.

Ditto. Uses Uber here in the USA but was satisfied with the taxi, price-wise in getting around, and limo service from port to airport. Won't miss Uber in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Zürich / Switzerland
401 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by pliskin
Just spent two weeks in London and used uber everywhere and they were great and affordable. In fact uber was cheaper than the tube most of the time. I also ordered from uber eats twice. Yes, black cabs are more professional but they are insanely expensive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Your kidding, cheaper than 2 £ 40 ? (yes that's the price for a ride with the tube, if you got an Oyster Card)
In my country Switzerland, that's the price you pay, just to get into a taxi....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Berkshire UK
254 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Agree, buses, tube, bike or walk are all cheaper than uber. Often black cabs are as well as the drivers speak English, know the route, how to avoid traffic and have entertaining conversation in a safe environment. Also the fares don't vary by time of day and are metered, with uber you do not know, plus the drivers rely only on sat nav ,London cabbies are the best compared to other cities where the drivers have no clue where they are going especially in the states I.e. NY.
Cotswolds, UK
2,349 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We have had this "Uber is cheaper than the tube" comment several times recently. It only holds up if you are comparing multiple people doing a small number of journeys on a given day, and usually comparing the very high single cash fare (£4-90) rather than the £2-40 contactless single or £6-60 daily cap on the tube. But it explains why there are so many of the darn things on the roads!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Marina del Rey, CA
357 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
More than one person to/from Heathrow. Runs £25 per person just for the express from Paddington.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2018 Norwegian Getaway
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,419 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
More than one person to/from Heathrow. Runs £25 per person just for the express from Paddington.

Only if you leave it till the last minute. Plan ahead and its cheaper.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Celebration - Best of the Black Sea 6th Oct 2014 - We cancelled due to Putin's ongoing KGB tactics in Ukraine.
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Marina del Rey, CA
357 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I still prefer uber so I don't have to deal with dragging luggage from an international flight on the tube and having to change trains, platforms, etc.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2018 Norwegian Getaway
Cotswolds, UK
2,349 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Just spent two weeks in London and used uber everywhere and they were great and affordable. In fact uber was cheaper than the tube most of the time. I also ordered from uber eats twice. Yes, black cabs are more professional but they are insanely expensive.

That's a very valid point of view, of course. But it is a long way from your original statement that, "In fact uber was cheaper than the tube most of the time"

Transport choices are always a balance of convenience, speed and price, so there is seldom an absolute best choice, particularly in London with its numerous options. From the airport, a private transfer waiting for you in a terminal would be about the same price as Uber, but we should probably mention them more often as an option (they are easier to arrange, of course, with the app on the day).

Did you have to wait long for the Uber to come in from their authorised area (they are not allowed to circulate the airport) and how easy was it to find the meet point in the car park?

Cotswolds, UK
2,349 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
For what it's worth, reading the mood music, I think Uber and TfL will come to an agreement, whereby they keep their licence. They will no doubt have to do more on compliance and safety, and it remains to be seen if that would mean higher (more economically realistic) fares.

In the meantime, hopefully both black cabs and traditional private hire firms will continue to innovate on both customer service and price to compete.

1,258 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Cotswold Eagle
In the meantime, hopefully both black cabs and traditional private hire firms will continue to innovate on both customer service and price to compete.
Private hire firms will, but black cabs will just keep moaning "it's not fair" and continue to do everything to make the product they offer undesirable.
240 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by onyx007
Your kidding, cheaper than 2 £ 40 ? (yes that's the price for a ride with the tube, if you got an Oyster Card)
In my country Switzerland, that's the price you pay, just to get into a taxi....
Uber works particularly well, if you have large group. We had a group of 6, and it was cheaper oftentimes, to just order an UberXL for the group of 6, rather than pay 6 x oyster card fare.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature