Canadians on Cuban Fusion Discovery 2

Hi will be on Discover 2 April 3 rd Cuban fusion. Not sure of the process once you fly into Montego Bay from Toronto. Do we retrieve our luggage go thru customs and then onto the coaches or is our luggage taken directly to the coaches off the plane.

Please advise.

Than you

You have to go thru the usual formalities at the airport, incl the luggage carousel.

A rep will meet you in the arrivals hall & direct you to your bus.

Your driver will load your luggage,

At the port you will have to identify your luggage, but at that point you can then leave it and it will be delivered to your cabin door.

(this applies to all passengers - including those on chartered fly-cruise packages from the UK, because some of those on the aircraft are booked for the cruise & others for land vacations.)

BTW, ship's currency is GBP and yours is presumably CAD.

So during the cruise you may be asked if you would like your on-board account to be converted to CAD before charging your credit / debit card, "for your convenience".:rolleyes:.

DECLINE that kind offer, & allow your card to be charged in GBP - your card issuer will convert at a much better exchange rate

(applies to all cruise lines where passenger's currency isn't the same as ship's currency.)

JB :)

I have to disagree with John Bull addictedcruiser. I have flown to Montego Bay 4 times and will also be arriving on 3rd April Unless there are different rules for Canadians your luggage will be bonded at Toronto airport and you will be given a cabin no label You will not see your luggage again until it is put outside your cabin up to 2 hours after arriving at the ship. At Montego airport you will be classed as 'in transit' and will be fast tracked through the airport (although this isn't always fast) You do not go through the main airport and do not collect your luggage I believe the Canadian cruisers do not do stay and cruise and therefore do not need to go through the main airport. At the end of the cruise your luggage will go straight to the airport from outside your cabin and you collect it in Toronto airport.

I have to disagree with John Bull addictedcruiser. I have flown to Montego Bay 4 times and will also be arriving on 3rd April Unless there are different rules for Canadians your luggage will be bonded at Toronto airport and you will be given a cabin no label You will not see your luggage again until it is put outside your cabin up to 2 hours after arriving at the ship. At Montego airport you will be classed as 'in transit' and will be fast tracked through the airport (although this isn't always fast) You do not go through the main airport and do not collect your luggage I believe the Canadian cruisers do not do stay and cruise and therefore do not need to go through the main airport. At the end of the cruise your luggage will go straight to the airport from outside your cabin and you collect it in Toronto airport.

Hi Vitalsign,

Hmmm, twice we've sailed Thomson from Mo' Bay, and both times it was as I described. Ditto a couple of months back on a Thomson Canaries fly-cruise, and some years ago Thomson Red Sea cruise.

The way you've described - not even going into the airport terminal - is as we've found with P&O and CMV chartered fly-cruises from Barbados. This is because all pax on those chartered flights were on the cruise, hence passengers go direct from aircraft to bus & luggage direct from aircraft to truck, all done on the apron, and then going "in transit" direct to the ship.

But our Thomson flights have included folk on the aircraft going to hotels (island-only, or stay-then-cruise), hence usual formalities.

And regardless of flights ex-UK, the OP will surely be flying a scheduled aircraft from Toronto, not one dedicated to Thomson passengers. In fact I'll wager the OP's party will be the only one on that flight destined for the ship. So who's going to go thro his flight's luggage looking for his bags, & putting them onto ship-bound transfer bus??

So even if my info ex-UK is out-of-date, I'm pretty sure yours doesn't apply to a flight from Toronto.

I guess between us we've left the OP no further forward.

Hopefully Thomson will let them know in good time.

The Canadians fly charter arranged by Sunwing in conjunction with Marella April 3rd cruise is the last of the winter season before the ship returns to the Med on the 10th.

With regard to TUI UK flights any passengers on the plane not cruising when they land go through normal immigration at the airport and all cruisers exit the airport through a side door and on to the coaches.

On previous cruises from Montego Bay with Marella there have been a number of Canadians and there have been a number of posts from Canadians requesting information for this very cruise so they won't be the only ones on board

Bonded luggage applies to Montego Bay, Barbados, the Dominican Republic and Dubrovnik for current Marella cruises

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean VillageFeb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean VillageAug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean VillageMar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson CelebrationApr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 EasternCaribbean

Thomson Majesty​​Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty​​June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream​​Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream​​April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream​​June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson CelebrationJan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream​​April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Spirit​​June 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

MarellaCelebrationJan 2018 Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2 April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2 April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2June 2018 Aegean Meze

MarellaDream​​Sept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

Hi all!

We flew from Toronto Feb 13 for the Pride of Panama cruise & did have to claim our luggage after going through customs where the clerk will give you a little departure form to be filled out. We thought oh she must mean when we come back but oh no fill it out as you are departing Jamaica on the cruise. (duh) We got our luggage from the carousel & took it to the transfer bus where it was loaded on. At the terminal we did the health paper & got our luggage tags with the cabin number. I was really ticked as a guy approached us to put the tag on our bags, which we could easily have done ourselves, then had the nerve to ask for a tip. I had my hands full of things but he stayed there 'til I got the money out!!!! Somehow we missed getting our ship card activated & having our embarkation picture taken so watch for that if it's important to you.

We loved Discovery 2 & I almost cried when we had to leave.

BTW Captain Chris said there are about 200 Canadians aboard each week but we only ran into a handful.

Have a great time!

~ Jo ~:)

~

Edited by retiring soon
thought of something else

Retiringsoon glad you had a great cruise and Thankyou for confirming the Canadian cruisers procedure both at Toronto and Montego Bay airports for your compatriot

....... err, not quite confirming, Vitalsign, since retiringsoon did have to collect their own luggage from the airport carousel & take it to the bus - which was what the OP asked.

But I'll concede that you got it a lot less wrong than I did. :D

And I didn't know that Thomsom/Marella/Tui offered charter air from Canada.

A couple of hundred per week sounds like just the flight from Toronto?

....... err, not quite confirming, Vitalsign, since retiringsoon did have to collect their own luggage from the airport carousel & take it to the bus - which was what the OP asked.

But I'll concede that you got it a lot less wrong than I did. :D

And I didn't know that Thomsom/Marella/Tui offered charter air from Canada.

A couple of hundred per week sounds like just the flight from Toronto?

Me again,

What I wrote was just what took place at Montego Bay airport.

Sunwing is the Canadian company that sells the Thomson/TUI/Marella product & use their own planes. I sure hope they do so again next year. We sailed the Dream two years ago & Discovery 2 this year & really enjoyed them both.

Jo

Sent from my UMI TOUCH X using Forums mobile app

John Bull - I didn't mean confirming what I said, I meant confirming the procedure Also I did say in my original post 'I believe' but that is not the case as retiringsoon has pointed out so my apologies to you as you were right about the Canadians collecting their luggage but not UK cruisers