Orchestra or Preziosa for Hamburg to Genoa?

hun

This would be our first MSC Cruise for September 2019. We’ve cruised on RCCL, NCL and Celebrity in the past and have matched to gold for MSC.

We were originally looking at the Seaside 7 night western med, but we just noticed the Hamburg to Genoa trips on the Orchestra (11 night) and Preziosa (10 night). The price difference isn’t much - although there are three sea days, which we’re a little hesitant about - but we do really like the itineraries.

Looking for opinions for any preferences/pros/cons for either the Orchestra or the Preziosa? I’ve seen negative comments, mostly about the Orchestra and the food, but would greatly appreciate your input on which you’d choose over the other? (And any comments about MSC sea days in Europe would be appreciated too!)

Thanks! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good evening!

I have been on both the Orchestra and the Fantasia which is a sister ship for the Preziosa. Well once I don't know really what the itineraries are, I would consider first what of the ports you have more interest on visiting. At least a good cruise is the good mix of a good itinerary and a good ship. That said, and considering only the ships or that both itineraries are adequate to you, once there are a few sea days in both itineraries, I would personally to choose the Preziosa. She is a newer, larger ship, with more and sort of better amenities, like a larger Venchi gelato place; she has a better crowd management scheme so even though the ship caries more passengers she doesn't feel so crowded. Food is subjective, but once they are doing similar itineraries they'll use same menus in both ships. Perhaps you'll have better luck here or there, but it will be relative. Crew will most likely be doing their first or last cruise in season, so be comprehensive with them once they are both expectant to go home and / or they are adjusting to return their work. A few "bugs" are usually expected on those repositioning cruises.

Hope to have helped a little bit. Have a nice day!... :)

Good evening!

I have been on both the Orchestra and the Fantasia which is a sister ship for the Preziosa. Well once I don't know really what the itineraries are, I would consider first what of the ports you have more interest on visiting. At least a good cruise is the good mix of a good itinerary and a good ship. That said, and considering only the ships or that both itineraries are adequate to you, once there are a few sea days in both itineraries, I would personally to choose the Preziosa. She is a newer, larger ship, with more and sort of better amenities, like a larger Venchi gelato place; she has a better crowd management scheme so even though the ship caries more passengers she doesn't feel so crowded. Food is subjective, but once they are doing similar itineraries they'll use same menus in both ships. Perhaps you'll have better luck here or there, but it will be relative. Crew will most likely be doing their first or last cruise in season, so be comprehensive with them once they are both expectant to go home and / or they are adjusting to return their work. A few "bugs" are usually expected on those repositioning cruises.

Hope to have helped a little bit. Have a nice day!... :)

Thank you! The itineraries are very similar - the Orchestra has an extra port in Portugal and goes to Cadiz instead of Vigo (there’s a cost difference of only $50).

Been on both ships, would not say anything bad about the Orchestra. Beautiful ship, everything smooth.

But of cause the difference to the much younger Preziosa is enormous. The Preziosa is the master piece of MSC, I even would rank it above the Meraviglia. Best ship I ever have cruised with so far. Alone the infinity pool is worth to choose the Preziosa even if you net intend to go inside.

So, I would not turn away the Orchestra for a good route with a good price, but with similar itineraries and a not unreasonable price gap I definitly would choose the Preziosa.

This is my first MSC as well. Are you on the Sept 22, 2019 sailing from Hamburg as well? We booked a few weeks ago. Terrific price! Long way off, but looking forward to the cruise!

We are! [emoji4] yes, great price and itinerary!

Elisa