Xpedition -- silly questions

dedlaw

Based on reading various posts about Xpedition and other Galapagos vessels, I have a few questions which might seem silly:

1. I've read that shoes worn on any island are not allowed to be worn on the ship, which makes sense. I've also read that on some vessels the shoes are thoroughly hosed down to take the cross-contamination avoidance one step further. Do that do that sort of washing on the Xpedition and, if so, how wet do your shoes get/stay?

2. I've read conflicting things about wet landings as to whether barefoot works vs. needing water shoes or water socks. Any thoughts on this?

3. How do they manage a dozen or more 60- and 70-year-old bladders for multi-hour journeys away from the ship?

Thanks.

1) I don't remember

2) wet landings are usually just stepping into a couple of inches of water because the zodiac can't pull far enough on the beach. Since the bottom is not always sand, I would suggest water shoes. Teva sandals or other waterproof sandals would be perfect.

3) There are trees :)

As far as getting back on the ship. When we got off the zodiac they a had shoe washing hose on the lower deck.

It only took a minute to rinse off the shoes.

For water landings it depends what the conditions were. If I remember correctly at the meeting the night before they told us about the landing. I wore water shoes and did barefoot.

You are not gone that long. Most of the time we were gone 3 to 4 hours.

• 3 months later...

We have just come back from a wonderful outer island trip. There is nothing negative that we can say. Not a big deal to wash off the bottoms of your shoes. Wet landings are simple... wear shoes that can be wet and you can walk with. Celebrity does everything to make life easy.  The walking sticks they provide are a great help on some of the trickiest hikes. Take the advice of some of the posters who recommend bringing magnetic hooks to hang your clothes . And even a clothesline is helpful. The deep water dives are great! Don't miss them, if you are a good swimmer. A great trip and very well planned.