NCL Gem

JellyBean07

I was on the Gem in June. Saw Blazing Boots in the main theatre and it was highly entertaining. Even my partner, who doesn't like country music, really enjoyed the dancing.

Throughout the ship there was also excellent live entertainment at the bars, lounges, and in the atrium. There was a French lounge singer accompanied by a man on guitar and one on upright bass, called Sunset Trio... they were great! There was a band composed of three guys and a girl who did a Beatles tribute and did other rock/pop music that we caught whenever we could. There was a female singer playing acoustic guitar who was really really good. And there was a guy playing piano and singing Frank Sinatra-style music who I only caught once, but was excellent.

I was on the Gem in June. Saw Blazing Boots in the main theatre and it was highly entertaining. Even my partner, who doesn't like country music, really enjoyed the dancing.

Throughout the ship there was also excellent live entertainment at the bars, lounges, and in the atrium. There was a French lounge singer accompanied by a man on guitar and one on upright bass, called Sunset Trio... they were great! There was a band composed of three guys and a girl who did a Beatles tribute and did other rock/pop music that we caught whenever we could. There was a female singer playing acoustic guitar who was really really good. And there was a guy playing piano and singing Frank Sinatra-style music who I only caught once, but was excellent.

Does the entertainment in the main theatre change nightly like other cruise lines or is it the same show for the whole cruise?

Woo hoo!! That's good to know that there was plenty of music to go listen to around the ship. Hopefully it stays that way until March! ;p Question, did they play in open areas of the ship or in a closed room? I find that when it's in an open area of the ship they stop playing around 10ish! Would be nice to listen to music and dance later than that beside the night club!

Woo hoo!! That's good to know that there was plenty of music to go listen to around the ship. Hopefully it stays that way until March! ;p Question, did they play in open areas of the ship or in a closed room? I find that when it's in an open area of the ship they stop playing around 10ish! Would be nice to listen to music and dance later than that beside the night club!

Open areas, like the little stage/seating area near Magnum's, the Atrium, and the pool deck. But they also did some in Spinnaker.

There are definitely different shows, but the only one I attended was Blazing Boots.

Do you remember what time the shows in the main theatre were at? Most of our dinners are at 6:00 pm so wondering if we will make the early shows or not. Some cruise lines’ main shows are at 7:00 and 9:00 and others are at 8:00 and 10:00. You have been very helpful, thanks

Do you remember what time the shows in the main theatre were at? Most of our dinners are at 6:00 pm so wondering if we will make the early shows or not. Some cruise lines’ main shows are at 7:00 and 9:00 and others are at 8:00 and 10:00. You have been very helpful, thanks

Theater shows were at 7:00 and 9:00 on my sailing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Justin Golan, Piano Player/Entertainer ... fantastic shows.  PACKED venues everywhere he played.  The best shows were in Magnums.  BEST drinks in this lounge also.   If interested .... he has a show in NY Dec. 22, 2018. 

Patrick Duffy & Justin Golan’s Piano Bar Show
Presented By The Duplex
Saturday, December 22nd at 7:00pm EST
Online sale ends: 12/22/18 at 5:30pm EST
The Duplex Cabaret Theatre
61 Christopher Street (at the Corner of 7th Avenue)
New York, NY 10014

Patrick Duffy and Justin Golan presents: NYC Piano Bar Showdown!  Come join us for a night of classic singalongs, but stay for the laughs!  This duelling piano show is the perfect gift for your friends, family or mistress. 
Justin Golan the beatbox/piano man

Justin is a professional Piano Bar Entertainer and Beatboxer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked for several major cruise lines  as a Pianist, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director. With over 15 years experience as a vocal percussionist (beatboxer), Justin pushes the boundaries of the human voice and captivates audiences with his abilities. As a Piano Bar Entertainer, Justin puts on a high energy show with improvisational roasts and toasts, spontaneous beatboxing, and sing alongs!

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2018 at 8:09 AM, pmoniz said:

Woo hoo!! That's good to know that there was plenty of music to go listen to around the ship. Hopefully it stays that way until March! 😜 Question, did they play in open areas of the ship or in a closed room? I find that when it's in an open area of the ship they stop playing around 10ish! Would be nice to listen to music and dance later than that beside the night club!

Justin Golan, Piano Bar Entertainer and Music Director, will be back on  NCL Gem in March 2019.   Following his wildly successful shows in NY in December 2018, Justin has added 2 more shows in February and March 2019.   If you want to see him perform before your cruise ...   Please view the details below.  

https://www.theduplex.com/site/calendar

We went (Dec. 2018) to the opening show, blazing boots, the magician, the aerialists , and the 70's tribute show on the Gem. All were very good and worth seeing except possibly the opening show. It was really just a preview of what was to come plus an introduction of the senior officers.The duo of Russian aerialists were fantastic. As far as I was concerned, the shows could have been 15 or 20 minutes longer. We really did not listen to the musicians performing around the ship. As I recall, all the shows except for one were at 7 and 9. I do not recall which one was at a different time. Have a nice day.