First Time Cruise Food Related Questions - NCL Sky (but questions are general)

laur371

Hi all, I am posting for my parents, who are taking their first cruise (3 day NCL Sky from Miami). I have all sorts of basic questions:

1) Do they have to make reservations at the restaurants (non-specialty restaurants)? Even if they don't have to, would you recommend it?

2) How do most people eat breakfast on a cruise (I am sure it depends). Are the options the restaurant/cafe, the buffet and/or having it delivered to your room?

3) If my parents eat a restaurant, but for whatever reason are hungry and want to go to the buffet later, can they? Or is that not allowed?

4) How do most people eat lunch at their port day (Great Stirrup). I read its a tender port, so I guess its not easy to go back on the boat, right? So I guess they should buy lunch on the island?

5) I dont know what I don't know - anything else you'd recommend when it comes to dining on an NCL cruise for first timers?

Thank you in advance!

1. Not necessary, and I personally have never done it. We have never had any trouble getting into complimentary places, although we tend to eat fairly early. Some people have reported having to wait at peak times. I would still not bother booking even then, as you can get a buzzer and wait in a bar. If you have shows that you really need to make then it may be different.

2. The main options are buffet, main dining room or room service. Room service has quite a limited menu (with a charge if you order some items). We usually go to the buffet, but many people enjoy the MDR. There is also the 24 hour place, although I haven’t been on the Sky, so can’t say what that is (if at all),

3. Yes, you can eat as many times as you like. You could even go to the dining room twice if you wanted.

4. On most port days the food options are the buffet or 24 hour place. The main dining room is usually not open on a port day. I can’t comment specifically on that port.

1) Sky reservations aren't needed for MDR. Reservations are needed for specialty or ships with 3000+ passengers

2) Freestyle daily is delivered to the cabin each night, for the next day, all dining options will be listed with the times they are open

3) eat as much as you want, order 2 entrees, go to more than one restaurant, no crew person will comment

4) haven't been to GSC

5) Short cruises have more or a "party" atmosphere, Your parents should be able to find quiet space on Deck 6, or Deck 12 - Far Forward or Far AFT from the pool

1) Do they have to make reservations at the restaurants (non-specialty restaurants)? Even if they don't have to, would you recommend it?

Make them ahead of time or you will get the left over dining times (if any are even available.

2) How do most people eat breakfast on a cruise (I am sure it depends). Are the options the restaurant/cafe, the buffet and/or having it delivered to your room?

With their mouths. You can do room service for a fee (continental breakfast is no charge). A handful of comp dining will be open for breakfast as well as the buffet.

3) If my parents eat a restaurant, but for whatever reason are hungry and want to go to the buffet later, can they? Or is that not allowed?

You can dine as much as you want any time you want when a dining facility is open.

4) How do most people eat lunch at their port day (Great Stirrup). I read its a tender port, so I guess its not easy to go back on the boat, right? So I guess they should buy lunch on the island?

Again with their mouths! There is a comp buffet on GSC. Most dine there.

5) I dont know what I don't know - anything else you'd recommend when it comes to dining on an NCL cruise for first timers?

Don't try to do everything, you will end up missing it all. Kick back and enjoy. You will go again some day! Edited by Maniacal Cruiser

Thanks, both! My question on the port day wasn't clear.. Please keep in mind I've never cruised.

If one gets off the ship at 8AM, is it common to GO BACK ON the ship to eat lunch? I heard this was a Tender port so that may make it harder to go back on the ship for lunch and not waste time. Does that mean people buy food on the island? What would you do?

Thanks, both! My question on the port day wasn't clear.. Please keep in mind I've never cruised.

If one gets off the ship at 8AM, is it common to GO BACK ON the ship to eat lunch? I heard this was a Tender port so that may make it harder to go back on the ship for lunch and not waste time. Does that mean people buy food on the island? What would you do?

There is free food available on GSC that is pretty good. Most stay there and eat.

I am hoping someone who has been to GSC, will confirm but I believe everything is included, so if they are enjoying the beach, stay there, go back to the ship with they have had enough beach time. I have tendered at other ports and always plan to be back at least an hour before last tender boat, so the lines are shorter

Tenders run back and forth from the ship to The Island all day.

Information about the exact times for the tenders will be in the Freestyle Daily delivered to each cabin each evening.

The last tender to the ship is about 30 minutes from the scheduled departure time.

If your parents find that the Island is not their thing, they can go back to the ship anytime. Lots of people enjoy staying on the ship when others are enjoying the day at the Island. I usually go to the Island for about an hour to an hour and half and then come back.

Yes, food on the island is free, it is bbq style the bars will be for a fee. They can also stay on the ship if they choose. Just be aware that sometimes weather/sea conditions don't allow the ship to tender so they will have another sea day.

Main Dining Room does not need reservations, its just like a land restaurant. You show up and will be seated, if it is a popular time you may be required to wait for a free table....not a big deal.

That cruise will be a party ship -- but I hope they have a great time!

I am hoping someone who has been to GSC, will confirm but I believe everything is included, so if they are enjoying the beach, stay there, go back to the ship with they have had enough beach time. I have tendered at other ports and always plan to be back at least an hour before last tender boat, so the lines are shorter

I have been there more than once. The food is free. You CAN use your UBP there as well.

Not only is there a barbecue on Great Stirrup Cay but your parents will be on a cruise with included drink package, so the bars on GSC will be free. They should keep in mind, though, that with this package only basic drinks are included free. Others will have an upcharge that will be clearly listed in the bar menu. If there is no menu available they should ask the server or bartender if there is a charge for whatever they want to order, so that they won’t end up with any surprise bills.

We’ve been on 4 NCL ships with our family of 7 (spirit, jewel, breakaway, gem), have never made reservations in the free MDR’s, and have never waited for a table. I was actually looking forward to getting a buzzer and heading to a bar, but it never happened.

I just got off the Sky this morning. We did make reservations at the main dining rooms- both the Crossings and Palace two nights then just showed up another evening. We did not have to wait when we did not have reservations, but did have an ocean view with reservations. We enjoyed the food and the dinings rooms always had empty tables. There is an electronic message board that gives updates on availability and whether there is a wait. Both dining rooms have the same menu.

We ate breakfast at the buffet. There are made to order omelettes/eggs and bread items along with buffet lines.

You can eat whenever, wherever and as many times as you want. No one tracks the buffet lines. We would eat in the main dining room then go to the buffet to check that out. There is always an area open.

Lunch and drinks are included at GSC. It is a buffet- lots of food- hamburgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken, pizza, whatever. It was very easy to leave and return to the ship. You just need an ID and your cruise card.

As for being a party ship, I would not necessarily say it was. There were all kinds of people. There were activities for all age groups and several couples married 50 or more years.