Advice for Silhouette out of Southampton in May.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:51 AM.
188 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Hi Everybody. We've done 2 NCL med/ canaries cruises.
We fancy something different this time and have the opportunity for a 14 cruise to Copenhagen, St Petersburg etc.
We've had inside cabins before but thought we'd have a balcony this time.

Any general advice/opinions on the line/ship/route would be appreciated.

Thanks
14,671 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
You can read several reviews of this ship and this itinerary in the Reviews section of Cruise Critic. I'd start my research there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
...…..1031 Days At Sea...….(837 on Celebrity)...and I'm counting all 7 days on the ill-fated Millennium even though my cruise was shortened!)
Nottingham, England
2,204 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I love NCL ships but also love Celebrity ships too. Not been on the Silhouette but hoping to change that next May as well but only on a 3 night cruise. I loved her sister ship the Reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMING UP!!!

MSC MERAVIGLIA - JULY 2017

SAILED!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Mini Cruise to Bruges - May 2017 - 2 nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2502268
Celebrity Reflection - Miami to Puerto Rico, St Thomas & St Maarten - April 2016 - 7 nights - (Aqua Class Hump Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2334071

NCL Escape - NCL - Inaugural Cruise from Hamburg to Southampton - Oct 2015 - 3 nights - (Spa Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW - Still not finished - sorry!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Norwegian Fjords - June 2015 - 7nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2230373

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)

REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)
Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)
Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)
Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)
594 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Trickster999
We fancy something different this time and have the opportunity for a 14 cruise to Copenhagen, St Petersburg etc.

Thanks
We returned a few days ago from 14 days to the Baltic on the Silhouette. It was a great cruise, hopefully you'll enjoy it. A couple of thoughts, we were very fortunate with great weather the entire trip but you need to be prepared for cool wet weather. We took some great walking tours that would have been a lot less fun if we were cold and wet. You may want to consider that in selecting your tours. You should select an itinerary that best suits your needs. Variations include 2 or 3 nights in St Petersburg and another overnight stop in Stockholm, Copenhagen or somewhere else. St Petersburg was great but 2 days for us was enough. Most people take organized tours that are part of a multi-day package that are great but are also long days. Two days is usually good to hit the highlights in St Petersburg and many people spend a third day taking a train to Moscow. That would be too much for us. We enjoyed the overnight in Copenhagen. We docked in the area by the Little Mermaid which is a nice area with a short walk or cab ride to the central city. The cruise into/leaving Stockholm is great.

It was a great trip and well worth the time and investment.
Near the Sea
1,328 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
We sailed the Eclipse on a Baltics itinerary. Highly recommended.
If you are touring in St P (we had 2 days there) spring for a private tour to avoid the big bus schlep. You skip the lines, can customize your days and get in nice lunches.

Enjoy
We'd do the Baltics again for sure.

Oh and enjoy the archipelago going into Stockholm. Its amazing
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4 days Cuba NCL Sun 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Silhouette 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Reflection 2016
15 days Baltics Celebrity Eclipse 2015
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Sunshine 2014
4 days Bahamas Carnival Sensation 2011
8 days Alaska Regent Seven Seas Navigator 2010
11 days Southern Caribbean Celebrity Constellation 2007
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Miracle 2006
7 days Eastern Caribbean Disney 2001

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly shouting, "'Wow! What a ride! Thank You, Lord!'" --Beth Moore
594 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
In St Petersburg, we used private tour company. There are several good companies, we used SPB Tours. Groups are usually much smaller than the cruise ship tours and they arrange for the visas in Russia. Group sizes are usually between 12 - 16 people. We also used SPB for tours in Stockholm and Berlin and were highly satisfied with all of their tours.
Shalimar FL
5,565 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
If you are looking at the Baltic cruise out of Southampton, here are some suggestions:
1. Celebrity does do a great Itinerary for that cruise and the S-Class Silhouette is a fine ship for it.
2. We flew into Heatrow and took the National Express bus. It much cheaper than most shuttles and certainly private car. It’s very quick, usually one stop going down if that. Comfortable, clean and has free internet. Much like all the tour buses we use on port tours.
3. We went out of Southampton twice. Stayed in a B&B in Southampton and enjoyed, but next time, stayed in a hotel in Winchester which is a short distance north and is a great walking, exploring town with the Winchester Cathedral and tons of history. Highly recommend Winchester for a few days prior. Taxi to dock was cheap.
4. We used a tour company called SPB Tours. They offered tours in most of the Baltic ports especially St Petersburg. Took the Berlin tour which is a bit of a bus drive but well worth it; took the Helsinki tour - it was OK but probably would do it on our own; St Petersburg was a two-day - I’d recommend that you talk to SPB about adding a bit of change from seeing one palace after another - St Petersburg has a lot to see about the Revolution and as Leningrad, one of the major WWII seiges was there. our tour didn’t cover any of that and concentrated on the Tzars. Got tired of gold gilted walls.
5. Strongly recommend a tour in St Petersburg. If you don’t take a ship or organized tour in Russia, it costs you $300pp to go on your own - that was 3 years ago.

This is a great tour. Nothing quite like sailing into/out of Stockholm with all the small islands. Fantastic. We loved Tallin Estonia - one of our favorite ports we did on our own.

Have fun!

Den
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crystal Symphony-W Caribbean 15 Dec 2018
Carnival Inspiration - West Coast 28 Dec 2018 Family Cruise
B2B: Celebrity Edge-E Carribean 24 Mar 2019/W Carribean 31 Mar 2019
Viking Alruna - Rhine Gateway Amsterdam to Basel 11 May 2019
Vancouver, BC
6,715 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Very good advice from bigbeergut and Denny. We sailed on Eclipse also, out of Southampton. We went with DenRus in St P and really enjoyed the tour. They also came back to the ship in the evening to take us to the ballet. I understand they have been sold to a Russian company, so maybe not the same now.

I would spring for a balcony, because one of the most special memories of that sailing was getting up at 5AM on the day we approached Stockholm, to sit on our balcony with our coffee and watch the amazing scenery in the Archepeligo, as we sailed by. So glad someone told us about this.

Don't miss the Vasa museum in Stockholm

We sailed May 30 and only got rain in Copenhagen.

Silhouette is my favorite Celebrity cruise ship and this itinerary one of our favorites also.
Tucker, Georgia (Atlanta)
1,535 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
We did a Baltics sail early May - I should have taken a winter! coat. We went early from Amsterdam because we wanted to see the tulips but otherwise I'd suggest a later sailing unless you don't mind chilly I was also going to say you might not get much use out of your verandah but the sail into / out of Stockholm is charming (but you could go up to the lounge). We ended up being able to get a very nice inexpensive upgrade after final payment because of light bookings but not sure X is till doing that - now it's bid for a move up?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
upcoming cruises:
HAL Rotterdam New England / Canada Sept. 2018
Celebrity Reflection TA Oct. 2018

past cruises:
Princess Pacific Coastal April 2018
Princess Alaska July 2017
Celebrity Pacific Coastal May 2016
Celebrity Baltics May 2015
Celebrity Infinity Wine Cruise Oct. 2014
Celebrity Silhouette Italy and Croatia Oct. 2013
Alaska Oosterdam June 2013
Celebrity Constellation: Wine Cruise, France, Spain, Portugal Sept. 2012
Azamara Journey: Rome to Lisbon Oct. 2011
Celebrity Eclipse: Western Caribbean, March 2011
Azamara: Rome to Athens, Oct. 2010
Azamara: Rome to Barcelona, May 2010
GCT River Cruise: Provence and Cote d'Azure, Oct. 2009
Oceania Nautica: Athens to Istanbul, May 2009
GCT River Cruise: Danube, Budapest to Prague, Oct. 2008
Celebrity Constellation: Barcelona to Venice, May 2007
Carribbean crusies on Celebrity, RCL, HAL and Costa!
Shalimar FL
5,565 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I agree about the Balcony! I try not to ‘help’ people spend more money - well, thats not true, I’m always suggesting tours, cruises, etc that cost people more! - but of any cruise itinerary, this is one that you might strongly think of upgrading to a Balcony SR. The sites coming into Copenhagen, and especially Stockholm, you want to see all you can on that. And I don’t think it matters which side.

If you can afford the upgrade, do it. But then I just starting thinking about other itineraries where a Balcony is a great idea: Panama Canal, S America, to name a few.

Den
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Crystal Symphony-W Caribbean 15 Dec 2018
Carnival Inspiration - West Coast 28 Dec 2018 Family Cruise
B2B: Celebrity Edge-E Carribean 24 Mar 2019/W Carribean 31 Mar 2019
Viking Alruna - Rhine Gateway Amsterdam to Basel 11 May 2019
USA/Lake TahoeNevada
3,134 Posts
Joined May 2010
The entire trip was wonderful. If you are very interested in St. Petersburg, we did a two-day tour with SPB for just the two of us...Wow! You see everything you want to see and seem to have plenty of time, even for places not seen by most tours. You are treated like royalty, but you pay a premium. If you are not really a Russian history buff, you can do a smaller group and still see the highlights without being on a big bus tour...do not opt for that type of tour...

All the ports, IMHO, were wonderful! Stockholm was great on your own, as we were first to view the Vassa Museum. Then we took the rest of our hop on hop off bus to visit other venues and stopping for lunch. The cruise was very port intensive, but there was just so much to see! Enjoy! It is always great to have a balcony to take in the views, but you know your budget, priorities and preferences.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity EDGE First Trans-Atlantic: 4/28/19
Celebrity - April 27, 2018 - Italy and Greek Islands
Celebrity - April 22, 2017 - Trans-Atlantic!
Celebrity - May 20, 2016(ALASKA) and land tour
Celebrity - June 27, 2015
Russia
Celebrity - June 21, 2014 Med.
Celebrity - May 22, 2013 Adriatic
Celebrity - September 15, 2012 E. Med.
Celebrity - May, 2011 W. Med.
RCCL - Caribbean
NCL - Alaska - 2005
NCL - Caribbean
188 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
First of all many thanks for all the input.
I apologise for not replying. I'm normally very good at that, and in fact I forgot I had made the post. I have done quite a bit of research on TA.

We have booked the cruise, leaving next May.
Out niece has organised it. Her and husband, her parents, us.
She is an online travel agent, so we got a good deal. This includes balcony cabins, drinks package and gratuities.

I would be grateful for info on the ports. ( apart from Southampton)

They are .....
Copenhagen, where we have an overnight. Arrive 1400 and leave 1500 the next day
Talin 1000- 1800
St Petersburg where we have an overnight. Arrive 0700 leave1800 next day
Helsinki arrive 0700 leave 1600
Stockholm (Nynashamna) 0800-1700
Wanemundee 0700- 2130

I refuse to pay the extortionate ship's excursion prices.

In St Pete we intend to take the two day excursion with TJ Travel @ about £200. Because I understand you can't just walk off the ship and do your own thing. The travel company deals with the visas.
The other ports .......can you tell me how easy it is to get into the cities from the terminal. We just want to wander round on our own.
Stockholm might be a problem as I understand Nynashamns is a good hour away.

I would be greatful for any advice on this.

Thank you
Near the Sea
1,328 Posts
Joined Aug 2007

Thanks
We did a similar trip on the Eclipse several years ago It is a great great trip.
Take/dress in layers-- and something if it rains.
Adults 18 and older can drink --as it's out of Southhampton
We used Dancing Bear for a private tour in St P -- spendy but well worth it
Sail Away from Southhampton is lovely--VIEWS are very different from ports like Miami...
We used a car/tour service to meet us at the airport--and bring us to Southhampton (arriving EARLY) as we flew from NYC
We used the same service for a Stonehenge private tour - taking us back to London to fly out.
When going into Stockholm-- the sail through the archipelago is amazing
AND the ship will pass under some amazing bridges on other parts of your route.
Well worth it
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4 days Cuba NCL Sun 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Silhouette 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Reflection 2016
15 days Baltics Celebrity Eclipse 2015
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Sunshine 2014
4 days Bahamas Carnival Sensation 2011
8 days Alaska Regent Seven Seas Navigator 2010
11 days Southern Caribbean Celebrity Constellation 2007
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Miracle 2006
7 days Eastern Caribbean Disney 2001

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly shouting, "'Wow! What a ride! Thank You, Lord!'" --Beth Moore
1,164 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Trickster999

If you have the flexibility to change your sailing date, I would recommend checking out the Silhouette itineraries that actually go into Stockholm. The cruise into and out of the port is spectacular. I think your cruise will be berthed about an hours coach ride from the city.

Getting into the ports.

Copenhagen. A pleasant 25minute stroll into town via the Little Mermaid and the riverside.

Tallin. About 15mis walk into town.

St Petersburg. You will need either a ships tour or one of the private excursions - otherwise you will need an expensive visa.

I'm not sure about Helsinki - I was there many years ago.

Warnemunde. A very pleasant seaside town about a 15 minute walk from the ship. Otherwise catch a train from the station opposite the berth and go to Rostock - about 20mins away.

Alan
Birmingham - England
91 Posts
Joined May 2009
In Warnemunde we had plenty of time so travelled to Bad Doberan to see the Molli train. The trip is via Rostock which we visited on the way back, then walked around Warnemunde, quite a cheap but interesting day out which we chose instead of the offered lengthy trip to Berlin. We booked the train to Bad Doberan in advance on the DB web site, easy and cheap. Depending on your interests its another option.
Southwest Florida
11,425 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
We'll be in SPB in August...priced out various options and found that a four person tour cost about twice as much as joining a 16 person tour. Very easy to find two folks on the CC roll call and we're good to go. We've done this before and done tours with some wonderful folks around the world.

We've learned from experience that fewer is far better on tours. Nothing like having one person who just has to linger at every stop holding up the group of 16 (or 40). We also enjoy local foods around the world so another advantage is that you can eat in a non-tourist restaurant and order what you want for lunch. Finally, we can tailor the tour, even on the fly, to what we want....much harder with a large group.

Small is better
BC, Canada
533 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Thanks for the input folks.

We can't change our sailing date so we are stuck with the terminal well away from Stockholm

Has anyone gone in from there?
Trickster, you might want to take a look in the Northern Europe forum for answers to many questions about transportation, sightseeing, etc. I wrote a fairly detailed review on a Baltic sailing last year; most of the "review" is about the ports rather than the ship. The itinerary was slightly different from yours so it may not be all that useful, but if you want to take a look at it, click on the link in my signature below.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Photo review: Celebrity Silhouette Baltic (+ Berlin) May 19 2017
Photo albums from some past cruises:
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean, November 30 2015
Celebrity Solstice, Alaska, May 1 2015

Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Mediterranean, May 12 2014
Celebrity Solstice, Pacific Coastal, May 5 2013
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbbean, December 9 2013