Tell me why I should(n’t) sail Radiance

I was thinking you need to fold up in the chair as well, but what ever.

I can walk far enough to get in the cabin. Even at the worst of times, some days I don’t need a chair at all. The big problem is you never really know when a bad day (or a string of them) will hit so need to have the chair wth me.

I can walk far enough to get in the cabin. Even at the worst of times, some days I don’t need a chair at all. The big problem is you never really know when a bad day (or a string of them) will hit so need to have the chair wth me.

Yeah, you never know when they are going to come.:(

Hi Mr Gut

It may not matter anymore (although I hope your TA finds you a deal), but we took Radiance out of Sydney 2 years ago, to go around NZ. Great cruise itinerary but we won't be sailing RCCI again unless the itinerary is great.

A brief summary of why:

Food in the buffet was terrible (even if we all agree food is subjective), I found it difficult to find decent eggs in the morning or the ability to make a simple sandwich for lunch. Sandwich "meat" was things I never heard of and looked sketchy, not like sliced turkey or beef, or even tuna or chicken salad. And I found the buffet way too crowded to move around in. DH had a salad each day and had to wander around to multiple stations just to make a nice salad.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Park Cafe, which we liked. Except for the fact that they turned their back to you when you approached them to get something and then ignored you for minutes on end. Had to cough or something to get them to pay attention. And they treat bags of crisps like an endangered species--only a limited number of bags available each day and it was hard to get one. DH and I thought it was very odd.

I had the bev package and getting a decent amount of an after dinner drink took 3 trips! And only got ice with the first one.

MDR food and staff were fine but the MDR is hard to maneuver around--tables and chairs way too close to squeeze by, no matter how trim you are :D

But, we enjoyed the cruise except for these relatively small things. it wasn't like we starved or anything!

The ship was nice and bright, not too crowded and our cabin (an aft balcony) was great.

Hope you get a good deal and can try her out.

ML

Hi Mr Gut

It may not matter anymore (although I hope your TA finds you a deal), but we took Radiance out of Sydney 2 years ago, to go around NZ. Great cruise itinerary but we won't be sailing RCCI again unless the itinerary is great.

A brief summary of why:

Food in the buffet was terrible (even if we all agree food is subjective), I found it difficult to find decent eggs in the morning or the ability to make a simple sandwich for lunch. Sandwich "meat" was things I never heard of and looked sketchy, not like sliced turkey or beef, or even tuna or chicken salad. And I found the buffet way too crowded to move around in. DH had a salad each day and had to wander around to multiple stations just to make a nice salad.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the Park Cafe, which we liked. Except for the fact that they turned their back to you when you approached them to get something and then ignored you for minutes on end. Had to cough or something to get them to pay attention. And they treat bags of crisps like an endangered species--only a limited number of bags available each day and it was hard to get one. DH and I thought it was very odd.

I had the bev package and getting a decent amount of an after dinner drink took 3 trips! And only got ice with the first one.

MDR food and staff were fine but the MDR is hard to maneuver around--tables and chairs way too close to squeeze by, no matter how trim you are :D

But, we enjoyed the cruise except for these relatively small things. it wasn't like we starved or anything!

The ship was nice and bright, not too crowded and our cabin (an aft balcony) was great.

Hope you get a good deal and can try her out.

ML

Thanks for the detailed opinion.

If we can get a suitable cabin at that original fantastic price we will probably take the chance otherwise look at another circumnavigation with another line.

Probably either Princess or a few years ago Cunard offered a slightly shorter version that may attract us.

We've done two half circumnavigations of Australia on Radiance and was happy with both of them, except when the toilet developed a flushing problem that was quickly fixed. No complaints about the food at all. We did eat in the Solarium often for breakfast. The buffet did get a little crowded but only in peak times but we could always find somewhere to sit. We took all our dinners in the MDR and found it no more or less crowded than on other lines. No service complaints either. I said in a review of our second c'navigation, the Radiance fitted us like a comfy old shoe. Celebrity is our favourite but would consider Radiance again if the itinerary suited.

We've done two half circumnavigations of Australia on Radiance and was happy with both of them, except when the toilet developed a flushing problem that was quickly fixed. No complaints about the food at all. We did eat in the Solarium often for breakfast. The buffet did get a little crowded but only in peak times but we could always find somewhere to sit. We took all our dinners in the MDR and found it no more or less crowded than on other lines. No service complaints either. I said in a review of our second c'navigation, the Radiance fitted us like a comfy old shoe. Celebrity is our favourite but would consider Radiance again if the itinerary suited.

Thanks Is the Solarium similar to Aqua SPa Cafe on Celebrity?

Celebrity don’t seem to be offering it next season, when we did it on Princess the alternative was three Cekebrity cruises, Syd-Auk, Auk-Perth, Perth-syd can’t find that combination on offer next season.

Thanks Is the Solarium similar to Aqua SPa Cafe on Celebrity?

Celebrity don’t seem to be offering it next season, when we did it on Princess the alternative was three Cekebrity cruises, Syd-Auk, Auk-Perth, Perth-syd can’t find that combination on offer next season.

The Solarium is like Aqua Spa. We also did the Celebrity Solstice Perth/NZ/Sydney earlier this year. Radiance had an extra stop in Esperance. Celebrity skipped Napier but included Picton. Otherwise same as Radiance for ports.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, we're from the US and booked Aus/NZ cruise in January.

Glad to hear some positive comments about Radiance but still concerned. We only eat in the buffet or someplace similar where we can take our own food. Any more comments on food? Is there food service near pool with burgers, salads, fruit? Anyone use the gym? Is there a spa? Sea days?

The itinerary is most important to us but we still want to feel comfortable on the ship. So many comments on another link that ship is old and dated.

We prefer ports rather than sea days. Anyone know why there are many stops in NZ and only 2 in Australia?

Wish there was one more in Australia. We'll go several days early to tour Australia on our own.

Please post any comments about ship. Thanks!

I would not be too concerned about comments you've read about Radiance being dated. Yes, it is getting a bit long in the tooth but not to the detriment of the cruising experience - don't worry. We've done two half circumnavigations of Australia on her, a total of 32 days and would not hesitate cruising on her again. We are also more port oriented. We have never had any major problems with the food in either the MDR or the buffet. You get the occasional dud meal on most any ship. The buffet has an excellent variety of food and I'm certain there is plenty to satisfy most .any taste. The burger station is in the buffet area. There's always fresh fruit and plenty of salads. The types of salad at the salad station is varied each day too. We often used the Solarium for breakfast and lunches, kid free and relaxing. Have never had a problem finding a table to eat at, and we are happy to share a table with welcoming strangers having said that it can still get crowded at peak times but if you get there just a little earlier you're good. After a day or three you can get an idea of when the peaks are and you can adjust your dining times to suit.

There are more stops in NZ than Australia because the majority of pax are Aussie and they want to visit a 'foreign' land rather than their own. For a non Aussie wanting to see Australian ports the a circumnavigation cruise would be the way to go. The two we've done both took in NZ but you need the time, either 16 (half) or 32 days (full) and many visitors don't have that much.

We've visited and cruised the US several times and know that one would not get to know the country just by visiting 5 or 6 ports, it's the same here. Would a US cruiser going to the Bahamas or Caribbean worry about the lack of US ports on the way.

Having said all the above I now realise I have previously responded on this thread. Old timers strikes again.:D

We have returned recently from a TP, Syd to Hawaii on the Radiance. We hadn't sailed with RCCL for 10 yrs, having been with Princess, Celebrity and US Carnival. We were pleasantly surprised. In fact I would go as far as saying it was the best cruise we have had. We were concerned re the 2 lots of 5 sea days, but had the best time ever. Food was great in all areas of the ship, entertainment was top notch, our balcony was great....and we didn't want to disembark. We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Radiance again. It has a happy relaxed feel, esp with all the glass surrounds. Cannot think of one negative comment about this ship.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We mainly Cruise Princess.

Have had a couple on Celebrity.

Like them both.

P&O left us a bit cold.

Cunard was a bit posh for my tastes.

Looking at 34 days on Radiance.

What say Ye?

We have a preference for smaller ships rather than mega ships, and prefer Timber and Brass to Chrome and Glass.

No real interest in bells and whistles, don’t need activities around the clock to entertain us.

Have done a similar itinerary on Diamond Princess so know that doesn’t really factor in.

Thanks all.

Have sailed with Princess, P & O, and Royal Caribbean and Radiance of the Seas is our favourite ship. Size is perfect for us and is an older style ship with lots of quiet areas to sit and relax. Its' atrium is the nicest of all ships I have been on. Very open with lots of chairs and couches. (Also very close to the bar!!)

Doesn't have all the bells and whistles and with longer itinerary, there is little likelihood your cruise will be overrun with young children and even mentally younger teens.

I'm sure you will enjoy Radiance as much as we do.