[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:38 AM.
Lower Mainland,BC canada
2,799 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by travelwide
We are leaving Rome the Equinox, November 28th. coming back to Ft. Lauderdale.I hope all of the rough weather is gone by the time we get to Europe. Not sure I want to have this experience.

We have done several fall / winter crossings and never had bad weather. Counting on our luck holding out this year!!
Hi,
This TA season has been exceptionally rough so far, weather-wise....Normally, most,if not all TAs from early october onwards are smooth with a few bounes here and there.
But then, we all know how nasty Mother Nature has been this year, both sides of each big oceans and everywhere in between...The Med/ Southern+Western Europe area has seen way way more torrential rains, floodings, high winds than normal since early October....and our own hurricane season in North America has been rough....
You ought to be quite OK for that crossing. Clients are on that one...their 3rd ;'' late november'' TA...the first two were of the ''bath tub'' variety, ...that smooth !

Cheers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past waves & great memories: Island Princess ( x2), Dawn Princess, Regal Princess, Coral princess, X Summit ( 2 ), X Mercury ( x2 ) , X Century ( X 3 ), X Infinity, X Millenium ( x 3 ). NCL Star.HAL's Oosterdam, RCCL Mariner of the Seas. X Constellation .X Solstice

Claude G.

canada
145 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
What can I expect the seas to be like on a TA in late April? Will it be warm enough to lay out in the sun?
( TA from NJ to ROM)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Valor 05/06
Caribean Princess 05/08
Carnival Sensation 10/08
Norwegian Sky 11/09
Norwegian Jewel 04/10
HAL Eurodam 10/11
Celebrity Silhouette 04/12
Celebrity Summit 10/13

North Coastal San Diego county
8,694 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Curious was that a North Atlantic crossing ? Reason we ask is that we have done 2 south Atlantic crossings ,one was April & one was November .Both crossings were as smooth as silk .
Las Vegas & Miami Beach
1,278 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by travelwide
We are leaving Rome the Equinox, November 28th. coming back to Ft. Lauderdale.I hope all of the rough weather is gone by the time we get to Europe. Not sure I want to have this experience.

We have done several fall / winter crossings and never had bad weather. Counting on our luck holding out this year!!
My wife and I are on that cruise as well. However, we also just returned home from a transatlantic crossing on RCL's Voyage of the Seas that departed Barcelona on October 30th. As our last port of call, we were supposed to go to Ponta Delgado in the Azores, but because of the storm in the atlantic (most likely the same one in the video), our captain decided to sail south from Cadiz to the Canary Islands instead and then take a more southerly route. After viewing that video, I'm damn glad he did, lol!
Moncton, NB, Canada
95 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by bhughey
(...)Funny you mention Hawaii - we were actually just talking about it - so it's on the radar! I hear the Pacific can be a bit crazy, too!
We'll be on the Century out of San Diego on Nov. 4th, 2012. Would be nice to see you two there!

Cheers,
Luc & Suzanne
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2,221 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
[quote=Sailone1;56526485]Hi. I was on that cruise too, teaching watercolor painting. So glad to see your video to send to my friends.
Happy cruising[/quote )
This cruise was in 2011.
Wheaton, IL USA
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2000
I am definitely not showing this to DH as we are booked for a TA this November. He remembers crossing the North Atlantic in December, 1951 with his parents when they emigrated to the USA.
Of course, their "ship" was a cargo ship which had been converted for troops during WWII and like a cork on the ocean as far as movement went.
We have crossed the Pacific twice and the worst was 8-12' waves in a January trip to Hawaii.

Sue
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising since 1993. Celebrity-7. Princess-4, Royal Caribbean-3.
Lacey. WA
505 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Just for fun... a little video montage of some of the rough seas we encountered on our recent Silhouette transatlantic! Pardon our goofy commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgB7K...&feature=share
Thanks for sharing. My wife and I were on that cruise and, like you, we watched the storm from the Sky Lounge during the elite cocktail hour. I took several still shots and wondered if anyone had shot video. Now I know.
Lacey. WA
505 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
The first part of the video was taken in the Sky Lounge - deck 14 (waves crashing over bow). The first "crash of waves" was particularly impressive as the sea spray actually hit the window. The 2nd part of the video where the waves covered the window was taken from the Passport Bar on deck 3 and the final segment was from the Grand Cuvee - deck. 4. All images were recorded on 10/31. We joked at times that it was like being on a rollercoaster! Many crew members shared that they had been seasick.

Regarding the size of the waves, Phil is correct - about 25 feet. While the Silhouette certainly handled the storms we encountered - the anti shake function on the camera allowed for a much steadier image.

The evening we left Lisbon was actually the rockiest - our cabin was on the aft, so lots of motion. Everything on the shelf in the bathroom went flying, the drawers and closet were opening and closing all night, our fruit bowl, flowers and glasses on the dresser counter hit the floor! It was very difficult to sleep, but fun at the same time!
Our daughter and her husband also had an aft cabin and reported they also had drawers and closets popping open and closing.
19,708 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Wow....storms at sea can be rough! We would only cross on QM 2....very sturdy!

We cruised up towards Canada behind a hurricane in rough seas on Cunard's QM 2. High seas, big winds etc. She really held her own, even in the extreme foreward and aft locations. We learned all about QM2...She is a very strong, well balanced Ocean Liner as opposed to a cruise ship..

While thete are pool decks and outside areas that are lovely, it also has much to offer in the interior..A great planetarium, very high quality shows, awesome underground club.. great tavern for lunch...included, activities, etc. Underneath the Silhouette U tube video, there is one with 10 tips for a TA crossing on QM 2...It's a bit dry compared to the Silhouette action video but has good info.

We are loyal to X but for crossing, esp northern rte, we think QM 2 is best.

Wishing all happy sails and calm seas!