CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Welcome to the new thread, and thanks to those who contribute their great first-hand knowledge!

We're sailing on Brilliance of the Seas out of Cape Liberty on November 2nd. We'll be flying in to EWR the day before. Initially, I'd booked the Hampton Inn on Staten Island - especially to take advantage of their shuttle from EWR and to the Cruise Port - and because I don't like the idea of paying the huge taxi or car service bill from other area hotels.

Now, we're considering staying in Manhattan instead. We were just in NY/NJ last week (stayed in Newport and commuted to midtown on PATH), and using public transit struck us as very doable. So, I've found a Hampton Inn at 35th and Broadway...I'm thinking if we stay there, it would be easy to get there from EWR (AirTran>PATH), and then to leave for the cruise (PATH>NJ Light Rail>Taxi).

Anyone have personal experience of getting to Cape Liberty by public transit? Is it really relatively pain free? We're a fairly active couple in our 30s who will likely have one rolling suitcase + carryone each...so not a tonne of luggage.

Thanks in advance!

Noel

Carol 138east has done this. your main issue will be getting a cab for the 2-ish mile ride from the.light rail.station to the pier....i am.sure.she will post...though her route was a little different than yours.

For the.time being try http://www.njtransit.com. it can be done but iirc there will be.several changes.of trains/light rail

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

What a great first question on the new thread! I did the public transit thing last Nov - Larchmont NY to Grand Central by train, Grand Central to Path at 33rd St by subway, Path to Hoboken, Hoboken to Bayonne by light rail and cab to the port. The easiest part of the trip was definitely the Path, light rail, and cab and I would recommend it to anyone who can manage their luggage.

Inbound I woud take Airtrain and NJTransit directly to New York Penn Station which is at 32nd St between 7th & 8th Aves. You can walk to the hotel, but a cab woud be inexpensive for a few blocks. You would save only about $2/pp by taking Path and you would have to change trains at both Newark and Journal Square plus make all the local stops.

Outbound you should try to find the Herald Square Building at 1350 Broadway at 35th St. There is supposed to be a handicapped entrance there into the big subway concourse under Herald Square where you can walk the 3 blocks underground to Path. This would be particularly good if the weather is bad. You take Path to Hoboken where there are elevators to get up to the station level. You just walk towards the trains and go around to the left to the light rail station. Buy a ticket, validate it, and get on the Bayonne train to 34th St. Call Bayonne Taxi at 201-339-5000 and tell them you want to be picked up at the light rail station to go to the port. They will tell you where they will meet you - possibly back on Ave E where there is a bench to wait. The fare should be $10 plus tip.

So for about $45 you can get the two of you from Newark Airport to your NY hotel and then from NY to Cape Liberty. I think that's a great deal. If you want the full NY experience, you will not be happy staying on Staten Island.

If you do this, please post back about getting into Path in midtown. There are many entrances into that concourse. I know you can get into Path from the street at 32nd & 6th, but I think it is stairs only.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

For the inbound, I hadn't considered NJTransit...will probably depend on the weather...if it's cold or rainy (or snowing?!?) on November 1st, it's probably worth the extra transfer and the extra stops on PATH to arrive two 1/2 blocks closer to the hotel.

For the outbound, I know for a fact there's an elevator from the street to the PATH station on the west side of Broadway just south of 34st St...we used it at least half a dozen times last week commuting between midtown and our hotel in Newport with our three year old in a stroller. It's in the Herald Center building which includes a big Staples...let me see if I can figure out how to upload a picture...I've put a red circle around the elevator!

As for the taxi, how long did it take them to arrive? I was thinking I'd call them while on the light rail when I was two stops away? All told, I'm thinking the trip from Herald Sq to Cape Liberty should take 60-90 mins...

565882826_PATH-33Stelevator.jpg.9950176c35ebe34ca08446ca4b7dbe76.jpg

Hello! My BFF and I will be on the 09/16 cruise to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty. We live on the Left Coast, so we're flying in the night before to EWR. Looking for a hotel that we can get shuttled to from the airport, but will be closer to the pier so that we can save a few bucks on the morning taxi.

We're hoping to find something in the ~$100/night range.

Any suggestions/ideas? Usually I'm on top of this months in advance, so I'm freaking out a bit that its still in limbo. :eek:

Thanks for your input!

Annie - Newark is a highly urban industrial area and you must be selective about your hotel. All the hotels around the airport have an airport shuttle. To get to the port you need to book a car service which will quote a flat rate plus tolls and tip. Even if you take a cab, the trip would be a quoted rate and not a metered trip.

Right now aa.com is your friend. For Sept 15 look at these hotels. Be aware that many Newark hotels do not have restaurants, so you can be looking at walking to a nearby hotel to eat or ordering take out. Hotels which offer free breakfast usually do not have a restaurant. The prices listed do not include tax.

Hampton Inn - $80.75

Doubletree - $87.96

Ramada plaza - $89.25

Holiday Inn - $96.25

Country Inns - $95.18

I would look first at Country Inns. The rate is great. They offer an expensive cruise package, but folks booking independently have been able to buy their shuttle transportation for $35/pp rt, which is a great deal since car service quotes have been running $50-60.

Lots of cruisers stay at CI. They offer a free breakfast and they are next to Jersey Gardens Mall which has a food court. Next door there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP plus a Courtyard with a restaurant.

Is a cab from EWR airport and return the best and easiest option or is there a shuttle available?

Current prices and any additional recommendations.

Two traveling with 2 suitcases.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Found My Answer! Thanks CC

Cool!!

ANd yes....cab is easy to GET to the pier...and the shuttle back, but a cab is likely going to be cheaper for 3 of you.....well....it will be close in price.....may be easier to hop a cab back, they you will not have to wait til the shuttle is full..

Going on Brillance on 11/2 and 6 of us are flying in to JFk. I have priced Carmel and dial 7 they are both more expensive than GO Airlink van. Has anyone ever used them and if so are they reliable.

they are bad...i used them and hated every minute...

In some places the airport shuttles are fine...up here they stink....

The driver was horrible....the vehicle was dirty and they didn't care when i complained....super shuttle is also bad. I only used GO airlink as they took over my former shuttle choice.....never. again.

stick with the car service...cleaner vehicle....and just your party....

that is why we do not recommend the super shuttle-type services here...the ones we DO suggest have been used either by us personally, or by discriminating travelers...:p

We are flying into LGA, and we have ETS airport Shuttle, from LGA to Port Liberty. it is expensive for the two of us, but we were told, the shuttle is for 1 to 10 passengers....the more that get on, the cheaper. Sounds good but our flight lands around 7:15 in the morning. We aren't holding our breath for that to happen. The price is $145+20 for tolls. My question for you is, are they reliable? I hope so for that amount of money. We got a super cheap airfare, so if we end up paying the full amount, we don't care.

Your opinion, please? Thank you.....

Judy

We are flying into LGA, and we have ETS airport Shuttle, from LGA to Port Liberty. it is expensive for the two of us, but we were told, the shuttle is for 1 to 10 passengers....the more that get on, the cheaper. Sounds good but our flight lands around 7:15 in the morning. We aren't holding our breath for that to happen. The price is $145+20 for tolls. My question for you is, are they reliable? I hope so for that amount of money. We got a super cheap airfare, so if we end up paying the full amount, we don't care.

Your opinion, please? Thank you.....

Judy

never heard of them....

check a couple car services...like http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com

is that one way?? i think a car service will be less.....

figure an hour to get out of the airport and 60-90 minutes to get to the pier, you should be able to check right in.....

Yes, it is one way. I checked what you recommended, and it is half what we were quoted. Thank you, so much. The shuttle we booked has a website, http://www.etsairportshuttle.com just in case you would like to check it out.

Thank you again...it sure is a lot cheaper. Did you say that you have used Carmel car service? I am new at this and don't want to make any mistakes. We have never been to NYC. This is all new to us.

Thank you ....Judy

never heard of them....

check a couple car services...like http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com

is that one way?? i think a car service will be less.....

figure an hour to get out of the airport and 60-90 minutes to get to the pier, you should be able to check right in.....

I agree with your advice to book one of the major car services rather than a shared ride van.

The cost from LGA to Cape Liberty should be in the $75-$85 dollar range, plus tolls and tip...and they will have their own private vehicle rather than possibly having to share with strangers on a fairly long trip.

Yes, it is one way. I checked what you recommended, and it is half what we were quoted. Thank you, so much. The shuttle we booked has a website, http://www.etsairportshuttle.com just in case you would like to check it out.

Thank you again...it sure is a lot cheaper. Did you say that you have used Carmel car service? I am new at this and don't want to make any mistakes. We have never been to NYC. This is all new to us.

Thank you ....Judy

i personally have not used them.. BUT many CCers have...and many people who post here and live in the NY area have used them...i ALWAYS see a few cars from both services at cape liberty....they have been in business a while........and i see the cars all over manhattan...they should be fine...

I'm a procrastinator but decided I better get moving and find a pre-cruise hotel. I searched on this thread hoping to find an answer and not have to bother anyone. However, the answers I found were for people either flying in or coming from up north.

We could drive from Pa. on I78 the day of, but want some extra "insurance" by getting in the day before our cruise out of Port Liberty on 10/14.

We're looking for a hotel that would include shuttle to and from the port. We also have the option of staying at a hotel, driving ourselves to the port and paying the parking fee there. Don't know which would be the better option.

We will probably just hang out at the hotel but would like somewhere for dinner. Doesn't have to be anything great but something a bit better than fast food.

I'm a procrastinator but decided I better get moving and find a pre-cruise hotel. I searched on this thread hoping to find an answer and not have to bother anyone. However, the answers I found were for people either flying in or coming from up north.

We could drive from Pa. on I78 the day of, but want some extra "insurance" by getting in the day before our cruise out of Port Liberty on 10/14.

We're looking for a hotel that would include shuttle to and from the port. We also have the option of staying at a hotel, driving ourselves to the port and paying the parking fee there. Don't know which would be the better option.

We will probably just hang out at the hotel but would like somewhere for dinner. Doesn't have to be anything great but something a bit better than fast food.

no one really has a shuttle to the pier....at least not many where you really want to stay....

you could try one of the places on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth off exit 13 A of the NJ Turnpike....at least you can go to http://www.jerseygardens.com or you can eat at Ruby Tuesday or IHOP...

Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth

Residence Inn Nwk/Eliz

Country Inn - they have a package, it just works out to cost more as all 3 things-room, parking and shuttle are not included..

then you can drive to the pier....parking is 19/day and they take cash and plastic.

alternately try stay123.com or trinityreservations.com

they WILL have packages.(either park & fly or park & cruise)..look for the Fairfield inn or country inn (those are fine.....) You can book with independent driver for transportation (the number is in my blog, link below...)

hope that makes sense...for some reason, the brain and hands are not working well today....:eek::p

no one really has a shuttle to the pier....at least not many where you really want to stay....

you could try one of the places on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth off exit 13 A of the NJ Turnpike....at least you can go to www.jerseygardens.com or you can eat at Ruby Tuesday or IHOP...

Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth

Residence Inn Nwk/Eliz

Country Inn - they have a package, it just works out to cost more as all 3 things-room, parking and shuttle are not included..

then you can drive to the pier....parking is 19/day and they take cash and plastic.

alternately try stay123.com or trinityreservations.com

they WILL have packages.(either park & fly or park & cruise)..look for the Fairfield inn or country inn (those are fine.....) You can book with independent driver for transportation (the number is in my blog, link below...)

hope that makes sense...for some reason, the brain and hands are not working well today....:eek::p

GREAT, this gives us somehwere to start. DH was checking online for hotels but I will have him read this, then HE can decide since I usually make all arrangements.

Thanks you so much.:)

You're sailing on a Sunday, so you can stay easily further west than the Newark area and bid a much less expensive hotel on Hotwire or Priceline. The hotel will be in a nice suburban location with a choice of restaurants instead of the highly urban industrialized area around Newark. A seven day cruise is right on the edge economically between parking at the pier and doing a park/sleep with the added port transportation. If you're interested, we can make suggestions about the areas a little further away to look at.