Airfare for Infinity (Rome/Venice) question

CruiseMelissa

Comparing Mediterranean cruises for summer 2019. I love the Infinity itinerary and ship but have ruled it out because I assume airfare into and out of different cities (in this case, Rome and Venice) would be much more expensive than flying into and out of the same city (i.e., Rome). Is this a safe assumption? Or does the cruise line get you a decent price with the different cities?

And to piggyback, if you book airfare through Celebrity, can you arrive a few days before the ship departs and/or days after your ship arrives?

Thanks so much!

Comparing Mediterranean cruises for summer 2019. I love the Infinity itinerary and ship but have ruled it out because I assume airfare into and out of different cities (in this case, Rome and Venice) would be much more expensive than flying into and out of the same city (i.e., Rome). Is this a safe assumption? Or does the cruise line get you a decent price with the different cities?

And to piggyback, if you book airfare through Celebrity, can you arrive a few days before the ship departs and/or days after your ship arrives?

Thanks so much!

Check for prices on Choice Air. You can arrive early or stay late. Just type in the dates you prefer.

Not necessarily. I have found very good (even less than the airlines) fares using Choiceair.com You can always find a cruise for this summer and "shop" the fares. Try first as a multi-city fare and then again as two one way fares. I have had better luck as two one way fares.

You have total control with Choice Air of when you arrive and when you depart, so long as it would get you to the ship on time for embarkation and also Choice Air won't allow an outbound flight before the cruise ends.

Joe

Choice air is very flexible on when you fly and what cities you fly from. You could return from London, if you wanted. The only thing they care about is that you include a cruise within your flights.

You don't have to have a booking to see what choice air flights might be available...you can look as a guest.

I have never booked airfare through celebrity, but I have booked airfare to/from different airports. Sometimes it is cheaper and sometimes it is more expensive. There is always the option of taking the high speed train back from Venice to Rome.

Thanks so much!

If you shop around there are deals to be found, we are flying one way non stop Oakland to Rome in July on Norwegian the fare was so cheap we upgraded to premium class, then after the cruise we are taking the train to Venice for a couple days then a cheap flight to London then using some Alaska miles first class ice land air to Seattle for $400.

Agree with others, flying into and out of different ports doesn't usually make a big difference for us. So many other factors to getting a good airfare. One year we we cruised Rome to Barcelona but flights out of BCN were insane so we hopped a cheap flight to Lisbon, spent a night there and had some great seafood, then flew home the next day for less than half the price of a ticket home from Barcelona. It's all down to doing research and knowing options.

I just booked with Choice Air. I booked it all online. Our cruise is 29 Oct 2018 to 10 Nov 2018. Barcelona to Barcelona. I booked air Seattle to Barcelona for Oct 26. Giving us 2 days in Barcelona. At the same time I also booked our return London to Seattle for 16 Nov 2018. I feel that I got a great deal.

I agree to try Choice Air. We are flying into Venice and return from Rome this August and Sept. Round trip fare was $840 from Washington DC. This is on United and the FCO to IAD is non stop. One stop on the outgoing. It is in Economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much!

Round trip fares via the airline may or may not be cheaper. But the SAME city for arrival and departure is not an issue. The airlines since forever have had “open jaws” fares, like round trips but you fly to A and come back from B. I suggest you log into the ChoiceAir site as a guest. Look at fares as though you were traveling this summer. Try two one-ways vs. RT from the same city vs. open-jaw RT.

As to flexibility, I have a Choice Air flight this fall arriving 8 days before embarkation. The online system had an issue with my booking because I am going on a 29-day b2b cruise disembarking quite a few thousand miles from embarkation. But calling and talking with an agent, that was smooth.

They do want your business, they do want to help. Talk to them.

Stan

I assume airfare into and out of different cities...would be much more expensive than flying into and out of the same city (i.e., Rome). Is this a safe assumption?

No, it isn't. I've flown into Rome and home out of Venice a couple of times, and the difference between that fare and a round trip via either city was negligible. Not saying that will always be the case, but a multi-city routing isn't automatically higher just because it's multi-city.

Agree with others that the difference in airfare will be negligible If you find it is however the train trip between Venice/Rome is fairly quick and inexpensive.

Hi Cm,

> I assume airfare into and out of different cities (in this case, Rome and Venice) would be much more expensive than flying into and out of the same city (i.e., Rome). Is this a safe assumption? <

No. This is called an "open jaw" ticket. It is usually the same price as a round trip.

((I))