Gluten free dining in Vancouver

TwinMamainMN

Any recommendations? Our 10 year old son has celiac disease. TripAdvisor and google give overwhelming options. We will be 6 people and need it to be wheelchair accessible and family friendly. We enjoy Italian and Chinese food, plus burgers, fries, sandwiches, etc. Not looking for fine dining options. LOL! We are staying at Lord Stanley Suites on the Park, but will happily Uber or use a taxi for good food.

Vancouver suffers badly from following dining trends - which in this case should help you in some ways (we have just ridiculous numbers of restos with GF food options) but unfortunately is also somewhat dangerous, in that most of them are merely 'reduced gluten' (i.e. the amount of gluten is so low as to round down to below what needs mentioned on a menu, fine for GF fanbois who think it's healthier, but no use whatsoever to someone who is genuinely sensitive to even low amounts of Gluten!) or straight-up GF substitutions for things like burger buns, still prepped in exactly the same area with the same tools so cross-contamination is a certainty.

Therefore I suggest ignoring Tripadvisor, Yelp, and any other 'public can give unverified opinions' site - ironic, given that's just what I'm about to do!!! - and point you to the local chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association. These folks know what you need, so restos which make their list (look at the PDF at the bottom of the page I linked) should have totally GF prep areas, separate fryers etc. With this as a start-point, if you cannot find a resto that suits your whole group that's when I'd fall back on Yelp etc. lists but call and verify each resto individually, ensuring the manager answering knows it's an actual medical issue not just a 'I read Wheat Belly and now I have sad face for Gluten' hipster thing.

THANK YOU once again MartinCath for being so smart about all things Vancouver. I also appreciate your comments about "gluten friendly" as that is exactly what we must avoid. I will check out that great resource, thank you!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
With this as a start-point, if you cannot find a resto that suits your whole group that's when I'd fall back on Yelp etc. lists but call and verify each resto individually, ensuring the manager answering knows it's an actual medical issue not just a 'I read Wheat Belly and now I have sad face for Gluten' hipster thing.

martincath, I love that you said this.

Also, my 21-yo daughter and I will be spending 3 post-cruise days in Vancouver in early June 2019 to celebrate her college graduation. I will now read your other posts with great interest -- thank you!