Silhouette looks like she is at anchor and not docked at St Petersburg?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:33 AM.
Monterrey
3,070 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Next sailing 07/07/18 is Named the World Cup Cruise, Silhouette is scheduled to be in Saint Petersburg 14, 15 y 16, The 14 will be the 3rd place match at Saint Petersburg and the 15 the Final in Moscow. Hope they have a good weather to dock safely
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Eclipse Pacific Coastal October 13, 2019
Celebrity Eclipse Hawaii to Vancouver October 3, 2019
Celebrity Eclipse Vancouver to Hawaii September 22, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette Southern Caribbean March 24, 2019
Celebrity Silhouette Grand Cayman plus ABC Islands March 15, 2019
Celebrity Summit New England & Canada October 07, 2018
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean March 18, 2018
Oasis Of The Seas Eastern Caribbean March 17, 2016

Rhapsody Of The Seas Western Caribbean July 16, 2006
Splendour Of The Seas British Islands & Norwegian Fjords July 28, 2000

Splendour Of The Seas Millennium Southern Caribbean December 28, 1999
Disney Magic Bahamas March 29, 1999

Enchantment Of The Seas Western Caribbean August 16, 1998
Nordic Empress Southern Caribbean December 29, 1997

Nordic Empress Bahamas July 22, 1996
Chicago
1,068 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by villauk
If I recall correctly, we embarked from Amsterdam on that Baltics cruise .
Possibly - they had several similar but slightly different itineraries. Ours sailed from Harwich.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Celebrity Silhouette to Scandinavia and Russia on 8-4-18
Royal Caribbean Majesty OTS New Year's cruise to Havana on 12-31-18
Celebrity EDGE to Western Caribbean on 2-17-19

Prior:
Celebrity Silhouette to Eastern Caribbean on 4-9-17
Celebrity Equinox to Greece and Italy on 6-18-16
Celebrity Silhouette to Eastern Caribbean on 1-3-16
Celebrity Solstice to Sawyer Glacier on 6-12-15
Celebrity Constellation to Western Caribbean on 2-21-15
Celebrity Reflection to Eastern Caribbean on 4-19-14
Celebrity Constellation to Bahamas on 1-13-2014
Celebrity Infinity Eastbound TA on 5-1-13
Celebrity Constellation to Bahamas on 1-19-13
Celebrity Equinox to the Eastern Mediterranean on 10-26-2012
Celebrity Infinity to Alaska Tracy Arm on 9-9-2011
Celebrity Century to Bahamas on 1-16-2010
Celebrity Constellation to Scandinavia and Russia on 7-11-2009
Celebrity Summit to Mediterranean on 10-4-2008
Celebrity Infinity to South America on 2-15-2008
Celebrity Infinity to Caribbean on 2-19-2006
Neenah, WI USA
138 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by gerelmx
Next sailing 07/07/18 is Named the World Cup Cruise, Silhouette is scheduled to be in Saint Petersburg 14, 15 y 16, The 14 will be the 3rd place match at Saint Petersburg and the 15 the Final in Moscow. Hope they have a good weather to dock safely

That's what I'm hoping for as we are sailing on that cruise in a few days. Didn't know about the world cup dates until after we booked, but makes the stop all the more interesting.

So sad for the people who had to miss the port on current cruise. Kudos to all who understand that mother nature has her own mind, and the captain(s) places passenger safety over itinerary.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Spirit - 02/2000
RCC Serenade of the Seas - 11/2006
Celebrity Summit - 12/2009
RCC Jewel of the Seas - 02/2014
RCC Jewel of the Seas - 02/2015
Celebrity Reflection - 06/2015
Windstar Wind Surf - 01/2017
Celebrity Silhouette - 07/2018
Plus over 3 decades of shore based travel.
498 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by wendyam76
We were on the cruise 2 years ago that only got one day. SPB were amazing, refunded the one day immediately and tried to fit in as much as possible.

We had a two day private tour booked with TJ Travel. They crammed in as much as possible, except Peterhof, and prorated the cost of the tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Star - Cuba - January 17, 2019
Edge - Bahamas - December 6, 2018
Reflection - Western Med - July 9, 2018
Silhouette - Caribbean - February 25, 2018
Silhouette - Caribbean - February 5, 2017
Silhouette- Baltics - July 1, 2016
Silhouette- Caribbean- February 21, 2016
Reflection - Eastern Mediterranean - June 29, 2015
Summit - Caribbean - February 7, 2015
Dream - Bahamas - October 2014
Century - Caribbean - February 15, 2014
Reflection - Caribbean - January 26, 2013
Solstice - Caribbean - January 22, 2012
Eclipse - Caribbean - January 15, 2011
Century - Caribbean - February 4, 2008
Mercury - Alaska - June 8, 2007
Mercury - Caribbean - December 6, 2002
Royal Clipper - Southern Caribbean - December '01
Horizon - Southern Caribbean - March 17, 2001
Viking Star - Greece - Sept. '00
London
30 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We are on the 7/7 sailing so fingers crossed as St Petersburg is a bucket list visit for me. safety first though. We were on the eclipse last September that docked in Citvitavechia in a mssive thunder storm which wasn't fun and many of the tours didn't get into Rome due to flooding. X imediately reimbursed our tour costs.
Worcester, PA
3,053 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
This must be truly disappointing to those on board as it is the most beautiful and historic Baltic port. We were on a smaller ship in July 2015 (Brilliance) but made it through the high winds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean Diamond+ and Celebrity Elite

Solstice March 2018 Aus & NZ
Summit Sept 2017 Canada & New England
Constellation June 2017 Adriatic, Croatia & Italy
Silhouette January 2017 W.Caribbean
Anthem December 2016 E.Caribbean
Infinity April 2016 Panama Canal
Reflection November 2015 W.Caribbean
Brilliance July 2015 Baltics
Freedom November 2014 W.Caribbean
Grandeur August 2014 Bermuda

Independence November 2013 E.Caribbean
Allure October 2012 E.Caribbean
Millennium July 2010 Alaska
Independence March 2010 E.Caribbean
Serenade January 2009 S.Caribbean
Freedom March 2008 E.Caribbean
Explorer March 2007 W.Caribbean
Navigator March 2006 E.Caribbean
Brilliance October 2005 Europe/Med
Adventure April 2004 S.Caribbean
Voyager April 2001 W.Caribbean

Upcoming cruises:
Harmony Jan 13, 2019, W.Caribbean; Edge Jan 20, 2019 W. Caribbean; Eclipse Jan 05 2020 Chile & Argentina
Chichester
882 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I am currently on the Silhouette and I understand that Mother Nature makes up her own mind, but can anyone tell me how come Britannia got in to St Petersburg and we didn’t even though we are the same size?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
87 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by sarar
I am currently on the Silhouette and I understand that Mother Nature makes up her own mind, but can anyone tell me how come Britannia got in to St Petersburg and we didn’t even though we are the same size?

So sorry to hear what you have been through and that you were unable to dock in St. Petersburg. Was just on board Silhouette in the cruise prior to this one (Jun. 9-23) and thankfully we were blessed with great weather... but I would like to know how the staff (who were wonderful during our cruise) are responding to this issue.

I also understand Mother Nature can reek havoc... but I do hope Celebrity is offering some kind of compensation for this great loss.

Sending you warm regards and wishes of a very happy last few days of this cruise and look forward to yours, or anyone else's feedback that was on board.

Happy Cruising,

ek
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon - NCL Epic - Western Carib - Apr. 20, 2019
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celebrity Silhouette - Baltic/Russia from Southampton - Jun. 9, 2018
Carnival Breeze - Key West/Bahamas New Years - Dec. 31, 2017
Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean Xmas - Dec. 22, 2013
Splendour of the Seas - South America - Mar. 2008
Brilliance of the Seas - Westbound Transatlantic - Nov. 2006
Celebrity Constellation - Southern Caribbean - Dec. 2002
Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Aug. 2001
Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho
2,167 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Also on the previous cruise.

All depends on the Captain and how risk averse he/she is. Cruising is very weather dependent and having been on the Ventura at the beginning of the year when a gust caught the ship and she 'tipped' quite severely in the Bay of Biscay, I can only say that if a Captain has any doubt at all, he/she should not try to dock, as it could be extremely dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpV2Mxnr3nY
Germany
14,123 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
When was the Britannia in St. Petersburg, on day 1? She wasn´t in on day 2 when you turned around and went on to Warnemünde.

And if the Britannia was in port on day 1, did she arrive that day or the day before?

steamboats
160 Posts
Joined Jan 2006

I probably think only the Captains and other officers know the 'truth' and everything else will be speculation unless they make a statement. On paper, Britannia is slightly bigger than the Silhouette and has more decks but perhaps the size difference makes her handle differently, I know previously our Captain said we'd managed to get into a port but a Captain of another ship wouldn't risk it, we docked and they didn't. It came down to the confidence of the Captain and how the risks were as he saw it. Doesn't help the frustration when there isn't anything obvious.
76 Posts
Joined Jun 2017

Brittania docked at 7am on the 30th June and left at 18.00 on the 1st July according to the St Petersburg passenger port schedule.
Redditch England
2,185 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Er12001
I also understand Mother Nature can reek havoc... but I do hope Celebrity is offering some kind of compensation for this great loss.
Typos can be amusing: I guess it must have been a very smelly wind
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Søren Kierkegaard
Germany
14,123 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Mr Sea Gull
Brittania docked at 7am on the 30th June and left at 18.00 on the 1st July according to the St Petersburg passenger port schedule.
So she came in a day earlier than the Silhouette which should have been there July 1st and 2nd. Obviously the wind/weather conditions were different on June 30th.

steamboats
Philly burbs, PA.
12,809 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Er12001
Why? Weather issues are not within the control of Celebrity and ports of call are unfortunately missed all the time. Your cruise contract clearly points this out. A refund of port fees and any ship sponsored tour costs is all that they are liable for in terms of compensation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox (twice)
Celebrity Summit 8/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Eclipse 4/19
Celebrity Edge 8/19
Upcoming:

3,045 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Why? Weather issues are not within the control of Celebrity and ports of call are unfortunately missed all the time. Your cruise contract clearly points this out. A refund of port fees and any ship sponsored tour costs is all that they are liable for in terms of compensation.
Yep, you are spot on. I am quite confident the only compensation received will be refunded tour and port fees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

12/1/2017 Viking Mayfair - 12 days - Egypt, Pathways of the Pharaohs
8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
2,311 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
That is true, but the Captain is assessing the conditions and making a decision. We have to trust in that decision, but sometimes I wonder how close the decision is (or if other Captains would make same one).

Last year we tendered at St Peters Port and watched an Azamara ship tender back and forth...We continued to watch and then left...to rough for us! (but not them...they were a LITTLE closer to shore than we were...seas between our ships didn't look that threatening or choppy...but we have option but to trust the Captains decision)
Philly burbs, PA.
12,809 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by dodger1964
That is true, but the Captain is assessing the conditions and making a decision. We have to trust in that decision, but sometimes I wonder how close the decision is (or if other Captains would make same one).

Last year we tendered at St Peters Port and watched an Azamara ship tender back and forth...We continued to watch and then left...to rough for us! (but not them...they were a LITTLE closer to shore than we were...seas between our ships didn't look that threatening or choppy...but we have option but to trust the Captains decision)
Not sure what your point has to do with compensation for missing a port of call, which is what I was commenting on. But you are correct, as passengers we have to trust his judgment as he is the Captain and knows best.

It is always the Captain's decision as to whether or not factors outside of his control will result in him missing a port or not. And he alone is responsible for his ship - not what another Captain may or may not decide to do under similar circumstances. He will determine the risk to his ship, his crew, and his passengers regardless of other ship's Captain's actions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty