Wine Maker for a Day - Bahama Barrels

opheliasfate

They are not really "making" wine. They are just blending a mix of wines from other countries to make your own "special" wine. Only you can say whether this would be worth it.

Graycliffs is a beautiful spot, and they have a terrific wine cellar.

Yes you can taste your creation, and its bottled, however, I don't know if it's sealed enough to put it in you luggage or even allowed on the ship alcohol is generally confiscated til the end of the cruise. Then liquid must go in checked baggage if flying. My guess is its too much trouble.

• 5 months later...

I'm also interested in this.  It's roughly $79 for a RCCL excursion, but only $50 if you book through Graycliffs.  My wife and I did a blending seminar in Sonoma, CA and we had such a good time.  If they seal the bottle with a cork, then you're good to fly with it.  Depending on the cruise line, they may let you keep it on board.  Seriously considering this for my next cruise.

We actually ended up doing it and having a blast!  We just booked directly through Graycliffs and that is ABSOLUTELY the way to do it.  Graycliffs is a very easy, quick walk from the dock so we really couldn't justify going through Royal Caribbean.  They basically bring you out a bunch of types of wines to first sample each of them then you can start mixing away.  Once you have your perfect mix you then bottle and cork it so you shouldn't have a problem on a flight.  After we bottled we even had enough left over of our mix we had enough left over to have another glass of wine.  Not gonna lie we after all of the tasting we may have wandered the streets of Nassau pretty buzzed.  They are very generous with their wine lol. We ended up having to check our bottles at the dock with Royal Caribbean but got them back on the last day of the cruise.  Graycliffs also saves your mix if you ever go back or want to order more to ship home.  We would definitely do this again.

P.S. I will also say we are not wine snobs but everything tasted good to us.  The previous user is correct that they don't grow the grapes on the island, they are shipped in (our batch from Italy). 

Edited by opheliasfate
  • Like 1