Mosquitoes in Feb/March

Hi, I'm wondering how much of a problem mosquitoes are in the months of Feb/March in Perth and Sydney. I'm always prepared, but it's good to have an idea what to expect.

Also, is city wear always casual or do people dress up a bit in the evenings? I want to leave one suitcase packed for the cruise if possible and need to know what to include in the city suitcase.

Tipping is appreciated but not expected? Is that correct? Keep the change for taxi drivers and around 10% in restaurants?

Thanks in advance :)

Temp. outside with the wind chill is -10 degrees F. Hard to think of having to get mosquito spray out of the storage. But then I'm having difficulties thinking about wearing shorts and a swimsuit too. Wisconsin is just too cold and snowy this year. I imagine I will take some spray, because we are doing lots of outdoor wildlife sightseeing and I don't want to turn into one big bite. LOL I'll be watching for some smarter replies to this question.

Edited by pattyj 1204
can't spell

I never notice mozzies during the day, it's the dusk and dawn periods that you will see them. In and around the city not so much, but in the bush and at the beach they will be out in force.

And -- IF there are any mossies around , Feb/March would have to be their favourite month. They just love, warm , wet, humid times :)

Australia is a BIG place -- but we get around quite a lot (in a motorhome) and I don't find mossies to be the problem that they were a long time ago in the past. Especially in the cities, I "think" that the local Councils are more active with anti-mossie spraying programmes than they were. Even the available equipment is bigger and fancier than in the past

And -- IF there are any mossies around , Feb/March would have to be their favourite month. They just love, warm , wet, humid times :)

Australia is a BIG place -- but we get around quite a lot (in a motorhome) and I don't find mossies to be the problem that they were a long time ago in the past. Especially in the cities, I "think" that the local Councils are more active with anti-mossie spraying programmes than they were. Even the available equipment is bigger and fancier than in the past

Mozzies are more prevalent near water, hence less of them in the cities as there is normally less water pooling around.:D

Mozzies aren't usually a problem in the Sydney CBD or any of the major shopping / dining precincts. We get a few where we live as our house is in a small, bushy valley with a creek running through it.

If you're going to a CBD restaurant smart casual is the norm, at a beachside cafe you can wear more casual clothes.

Yes, tipping isn't expected in Australia. Keep the change for taxis, 10% in restaurants only if you think you've had good service and food, you don't need to tip at all when just having a coffee.

We have just moved from Sydney and I don't think you need worry about mosquitoes in the city itself. If you happen to be in somewhere like the Botanical Gardens at dusk or dawn then that could be a different matter.

As for dress, as MicCanberra posted it depends where you are going. Smart casual would be suitable in most cases. You would find that in upmarket restaurants for example, there would be a tendency for it to be a bit more dressy in the evening.

March is a great time to visit Sydney IMHO as the humidity has gone.

Enjoy your stay and have a great cruise.

Mozzies aren't usually a problem in the Sydney CBD or any of the major shopping / dining precincts. We get a few where we live as our house is in a small, bushy valley with a creek running through it.

If you're going to a CBD restaurant smart casual is the norm, at a beachside cafe you can wear more casual clothes.

Yes, tipping isn't expected in Australia. Keep the change for taxis, 10% in restaurants only if you think you've had good service and food, you don't need to tip at all when just having a coffee.

Thank you OzKiwiJJ, all my queries answered perfectly :)

We are so excited to visit your beautiful city.

We have just moved from Sydney and I don't think you need worry about mosquitoes in the city itself. If you happen to be in somewhere like the Botanical Gardens at dusk or dawn then that could be a different matter.

As for dress, as MicCanberra posted it depends where you are going. Smart casual would be suitable in most cases. You would find that in upmarket restaurants for example, there would be a tendency for it to be a bit more dressy in the evening.

March is a great time to visit Sydney IMHO as the humidity has gone.

Enjoy your stay and have a great cruise.

Thanks bronte2. We were supposed to be cruising from Sydney on the Rhapsody in January, but due to a bereavement, we had to cancel, so we are very much looking forward to finally making that long journey in just over 3 weeks to meet the Solstice in Perth. :D

Thank you all for your replies :)

As ye olde saying goes..'Av a good weekend and don't forget the Aeroguard. !' Sydney and South Coast of NSW has not had much rain lately and the mozzies like to come out after a bit of rain.

We are taking a couple of bottles of 'Bushmans repellent' over to South America in a few weeks, one or three mozzies up Igauzu Falls way, had the yellow fever shots as well.

Edited by NSWP

Thank you guys, it's dusk that always catches me out with the mozzies, especially if we've been out all day and I don't have the spray with me.

Thanks MicCanberra about the dress code. Very helpful. :D

Start taking vitamin B2 tablets before you commence your travel This leaches out in your skin as something the mossies do not like and they leave you alone

Start taking vitamin B2 tablets before you commence your travel This leaches out in your skin as something the mossies do not like and they leave you alone

So this Vitamin B2, is that in Red wine? LOL. If so, I am protected ! LOL.

Hope you have a wonderful time :) Have you got a couple of days after the cruise to potter around Sydney?

Thank you. I'm certain we will.

Yes we have 2 nights in Perth (Fremantle) pre cruise - 17 nights sailing up the West coast, little diversion to Bali, back to the Northern Territories and down the East coast. 3 nights in Sydney post cruise, where we have so many things on our list to do.

Will have to save the South coast for another time. :D

So this Vitamin B2, is that in Red wine? LOL. If so, I am protected ! LOL.

I just googled it - doesn't mention red wine ;)

'Riboflavin is a B vitamin. It can be found in certain foods such as milk, meat, eggs, nuts, enriched flour, and green vegetables.'

'Riboflavin is a B vitamin. It can be found in certain foods such as milk, meat, eggs, nuts, enriched flour, and green vegetables.'

It can also be found in Barocca, I think Les may have been confused when he said it was in red wine when it is just in his hangover remedy.:p

It can also be found in Barocca, I think Les may have been confused when he said it was in red wine when it is just in his hangover remedy.:p

So, drink as much red wine as you wish, plus a Martini or 2, take Barocca before retiring to bed, then enjoy the next day with no hangover and the bonus of no mozzie bites. :D

Oh dear, all those bottles, good for the heart anyway !