Outdoor "Big Screens" on the pool deck - are they of any value?

I hate them with a passion. . I'll never forget on a Dawn Princess cruise a Celine Dion concert film shown endlessly.....at full blast. I find the screens too loud and overpowering during the day.Just an updated form of Muzak

Same (well, not about seeing the concert) on Princess.

Found they were okay on Rhapsody, with sound volume better managed, but background wind and other noises can make it hard to hear at times.

So all up, they're okay, but not great.

Yeah - make it more like the old drive in Theatres from the "olden days". Used to love 'em. Put some nice comfy love seats out there. Oh Dear! Can you imagine the shenanigans!

That's what the pods on the Carnival Spirit Serenity Deck are for :eek::eek:

Gee I have had very good experiences with the big screen on Diamond Princess.

Watching the Super Bowl with American fans sailing through FNQ

Also watching a very good movie all rugged up ( being the only idiots out) sailing through the South China Sea with light snow falling and chomping on warm popcorn.

But then I can sympathise with the CD who probably does have his hands tied by the head office in Miami, I work in a customer service type industry and I have no control whatsoever over our service and can only shrug my shoulders as well and direct customers to a 1300 number.

Which makes me wonder if anyone from any head office anywhere in the cruise world reads the end of cruise surveys?

Or in fact does anyone action any of the feedback from these surveys?

Would like to see proof

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by GEcruzer

• 2 weeks later...
I don't watch sport on TV at home so why on earth would I want to be subjected to having it shown on a giant screen on a cruise? :eek:

Even with little or no sound the flashing of the images are distracting. One shopping centre I go to regularly has large screens showing ads near my favourite cafe. I try to ensure I am sitting with my back to the screen when I go there otherwise it's dreadful. :mad:

Fully Agree, what a distraction it is to have the flickering of sporting events while other music, including live bands are trying to enhance the atmosphere on the pool deck.

Returned today from a seven day Rhapsody of the Seas trip to Sth Pacific Islands (leaving from Sydney) where we were subjected the entire time to American football, American Ice Hockey and an American Poker Tournament. Other than the nightly (very dated) movies, this annoying backdrop was continuous all day and night. It was not just irritating, it was actually insulting.

No better in the cabin with the TV programs a joke. There were 5 stations, each in another language with the English choices being 2 American crime chasing reality shows, the shore tour Chanel, ESPN, and World news.

While the big screen or the TV are not the main part of any cruise, if the ship provides the facility they should at least have the courtesy to offer some variety - or at least cater to the majority.