Farewell my CC friends, from chesterh

chesterh

Well, I can barely see the screen through my tears. What a beautiful article about man and his best friend.

My sister-in-law is alive after 11 years of battling lung cancer that she was given 6 months to survive. Her dog Lily does not leave her side. There is something in this medicine from our beloved animals.

Continued prayers and wishes for good reports.

I for one thank you for the gift of your sense of humor and your love of life, and for sharing those with us, at CC.com, on your blog and in your book.

I hope you are doing some reading of this thread, if it brings a smile to your face. Perhaps Kris reads it to you, or one of your boys, or one of the moms.

Praying for your comfort and for all the precious minutes you get to spend with Kris.

I guess you can tell I'm not a dog person. But I'm sure glad that the two of you are. Thank you, blindone, for posting the article.

Edited by May B

What a lovely article. We just returned last night from a cruise on which I read Chester's book (dh had already read it), one that brought back wonderful memories of our own 1st cruise also onboard Galaxy from Baltimore around the same time. Chester, we are happy to read your good news, wish you the very best, and hope to read another book from you in the future.

blindone, thanks for sharing the article with us. The article is a beautiful reminder of the importance of our pet family members and their powerful presence in our lives.

Kathy & Jack

I for one thank you for the gift of your sense of humor and your love of life, and for sharing those with us, at CC.com, on your blog and in your book.

I hope you are doing some reading of this thread, if it brings a smile to your face. Perhaps Kris reads it to you, or one of your boys, or one of the moms.

Praying for your comfort and for all the precious minutes you get to spend with Kris.

I guess you can tell I'm not a dog person. But I'm sure glad that the two of you are. Thank you, blindone, for posting the article.

Beautifully said, May B! :)

Once again sending good thoughts across the Atlantic to you, ChesterH!

Cruising as a newbie and writing about my experiences here on CC (2002 - 2006?) was truly the most fun I ever had. I made so many hundreds of friends here, I still consider it my home - even though my cruising days are over.

There’s no sense dancing around the plain facts. I am a fertile breeding ground for cancer. It’s growing in my body like Kudzu grows in Georgia. Yes, I’ll battle for control, but the outcome is certain – and it will probably be swift.

As with other major events in my lifetime, I’m inclined to write about my experience. My mother (remember the still incomplete "Cruising with the Mothers" tale?) even suggested outright that I do so:

“... Surely it has occurred to you that you should write about this. Maybe it would give you a diversion. (On the other hand, maybe enough is enough.) But you write so well and observe what others don't always see. I'll bet you could explain what is happening better than the average dear soul who never expected to get clobbered with cancer…”

I would like to celebrate the time that’s left by remembering the past and considering the future with my friends. I can already tell that it won’t be easy as my faculties are compromised, but one must make the best of a given situation. Perhaps I can manage to share some useful tips along the way. I dearly want to do whatever I can to ease the transition for the love of my life, Kris, and hope that those who can help will do what they can.

I don't know how many of my CC friends are still lurking here, but I did want to let those who remain know I have one more story to tell. In any case, I will probably do most of my writing on my own website (chesterh.com), so you can check there occasionally if you like.

No matter what, I do want to say, “Thank you,” to all who have been with me along the road or on the seas. It’s been a good ride.

With Love,

"Chesterh"

I don't know you but am sending you positive thoughts. I will think of you when I run my color run in May.

Chesterh and Kris, your openness, humor and good spirit, which have made your cruise accounts so appealing, now serve you well as you fight this battle. Thank you for sharing all of it with us.

Those of us who are passionate about our dog buddies recognize how important the kind of bond you share with Birr is. I had multiple near-fatal health crises two years ago and am convinced that our two faithful Shelties were a major part of my eventual recovery. It's uncanny how dogs know when we're ill and hurting and really need their quiet companionship.

I've recommended your book and website tales to several people by word of mouth since I first read them, and just did so again here today on the Celebrity CC boards. I realized I had never expressed thanks to you for them, so now let me do it.

May the many prayers being said for both of you -- mine included -- continue to uphold you on your journey together.

• 1 month later...
I am sorry to say that it appears that Chesterh has passed away. There are several condolences posted to his Facebook page. Thanks for all the laughs in your writing Chester and Godspeed.

Here's a link to what appears to be his obituary from the funeral home.

http://www.currentobituary.com/ShowObit.aspx?id=159259&member_id=11

We here at CC.com have been so fortunate to have been able to enjoy Chester and his wife and son and mom and mom-in-law's experiences.

Rest in peace, Chester, and condolences to the family.