What have you seen from your balcony?

Kermit426

This carrier was beside us on Freedom. I believe it is the USS WASP on its way to Port Everglades for fleet week.

carrier.jpg

Nice picture, I don't recall seeing a warship on a cruise. BTW, my son is a reactor operator on the Reagan, and he would tell you this is not a carrier, but an assault ship.

• 2 months later...

On the first morning of our first cruise, the ship was docking in Kauai. It was a gorgeous morning, the sun was rising, and a little mist was around. The golf course on the right as you come into port was stunning. I can still picture it in my mind, which is just as well as I didn't have the presence of mind to go inside to get my camera!!

Spouting whales, pods of dolphins, while in port we saw a very large shark next to our ship, flying fish, sunrise, sunset, other ships, land, people running down the pier because they lost track of time and the ship was in the process of departure. Seen some left at the pier crying

This carrier was beside us on Freedom. I believe it is the USS WASP on its way to Port Everglades for fleet week.

Wow! Awesome pic Bill!

Nice picture, I don't recall seeing a warship on a cruise. BTW, my son is a reactor operator on the Reagan, and he would tell you this is not a carrier, but an assault ship.

I follow the USS Ronald Reagan Facebook page. Did you happen to go on their friends and family day cruise? That would be a dream come true for me as fascinated with big ships and military aircraft as I am. What an awesome ship she is.

Edited by ryano

We were on Freedom, docked in Cozumel and we saw naked people on the Carnival Valor, across the pier from us. I won't post the photo here, but you can search the web for "freedom valor cozumel funship oct 5th 2007" and find my site.

While peacefully cruising Glacier Bay and marveling at the picturesque sights of the snow capped mountains and ice bergs, we heard nothing but the wake gently slapping against the hull as our ship slowly glided through the iceberg dotted sea...

...until the man on the balcony next to us let rip the loudest and longest fart I'd ever heard in my entire life. I kid you not.

I have to confess...I giggled like a 12 year old, tried to contain it, but had to run inside our room where I laughed harder than I ever had before.

And of course we saw him EVERYWHERE we went for the rest of the cruise.

I laughed SO HARD at this! :D

Going back about 10 years ago we were sitting enjoying a drink before dinner when along side of the ship, about top of the ships height a Black Hawk type helicopter swooped by our room. They were so close we could see the people in it. The helicopter continued around the ship several times. We weren't too far off from Cuba.

We shortly went up on deck by the pool to find every officer up on deck gathered. This apparently was an unwelcomed visitor and there was actually concern for the ship at that time. The captain made contact with the U.S. for assistance, but the helicopter had gone away.

We were on Freedom, docked in Cozumel and we saw naked people on the Carnival Valor, across the pier from us. I won't post the photo here, but you can search the web for "freedom valor cozumel funship oct 5th 2007" and find my site.

They looked like they were feeling NO pain whatsoever..lol!

Wow! Awesome pic Bill!

I follow the USS Ronald Reagan Facebook page. Did you happen to go on their friends and family day cruise? That would be a dream come true for me as fascinated with big ships and military aircraft as I am. What an awesome ship she is.

Didn't find out about it until after the fact. Pat has only been aboard since June, we are still figuring out how to keep in touch. They are off to Japan any day. I referred to her as a big cruise ship with its own airport on a thread recently.

The most interesting thing we ever saw from our balcony was a crew member get arrested and be brought out of the ship in handcuffs. They story we heard was that they had been watching this guy for a while and it was something to do with smuggling drugs etc. but who knows.

I have seen this lighthouse. I too have a few pictures of it. really the most random spot to have a lighthouse.

We were on the way back to Miami from Labadee when a lighthouse appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I could not see land anywhere, except for this lighthouse. I assume it was Bahamian, as were the fishing boats. Also, the water was the calmest I've ever seen.

DSC_0011.JPG

I've seen those posted here before, don't recall the thread. May have been a different angle

We have seen many things from our balcony, but I thought this was unique.

It started with a school of flying fish, that attracted squid. This took place in Cabo, where we have been many times, but only experienced this once.

2sbq5fs.jpg

Then we saw a squid go after another, and the leader started squirting ink.

2dkfjnd.jpg

Then pelicans got into the act!

287k7bp.jpg

By the way, squid can change color from white to brown, in a blink of an eye.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
Added verbage.

I saw two little fishing boats out to sea when on a Transpacific cruise, on different days. I took pictures both times because it was amazing to me that they were out there where there was nothing but the sea and the sky, and us.

I have one of them that I did in an 8X10 and framed so whenever I am at my computer, which is very often, I can see the little boat. The first one is my favorite. Scroll down to see the boats.

http://www.jeannietx2.com/little-bitty-boats-out-to-sea/

Edited by SPacificbound

I've seen much of the same in terms of dolphins, flying fish, storms, rainbows, etc. Still amazing every time!

One time we were coming back up to NY and were probably off the coast of NC when a military jet must have been overhead. The thing set off a sonic boom and left a tiny puff of smoke in the sky. The sounds was so loud it was unreal! I nearly hit the deck! You could hear the ship go quiet for a brief time after.