Liberty Voom sucks

Yes, put on airplane mode. If you go to settings and scroll down to phone, you can turn on wi-fi calling. I always have it on because I don't have good cell service at my house. This changed my life - now my phone works at my house. The phone will say wi-fi in the upper left next to AT&T. When on the cruise, make sure you're in airplane mode. Then you can basically use your phone just like at home - text, make phone calls. It's amazing. And no data or roaming charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok. Great. I'm ready then! I have my phone settings n toothbrush. Let's go!

For those of you who are interested in using "Wi-Fi Calling" onboard the ship, it's important that you set it up before trying to use it from the onboard Wi-Fi network. The first time it's set up, it requires verification from the cellular provider and does some extra steps to configure the phone to enable this functionality.

This also gives you a chance to verify that it works properly while on your home network so you can contact your cellular provider if there are any issues.

For those of you who are interested in using "Wi-Fi Calling" onboard the ship, it's important that you set it up before trying to use it from the onboard Wi-Fi network. The first time it's set up, it requires verification from the cellular provider and does some extra steps to configure the phone to enable this functionality.

This also gives you a chance to verify that it works properly while on your home network so you can contact your cellular provider if there are any issues.

Thx for the additional info. Set mine up about 30 minutes ago, but it still does not work. How long does the verification process take?

Not going to name CC member, but he is currently on Liberty and in the RS. He was invited to dine with an officer and he specifically addressed the internet issue. This is his post from Facebook after eating with the IT manager:

"Liberty is the only Freedom Class ship that doesn't have O3B satellite dishes and there are no plans for her to get real Voom due to the lack of satellite coverage in the western Carib."

Wilson - You could have mentioned my name

Wilson - You could have mentioned my name

Thx Ken. Did not want to do so without permission since I was quoting from your personal FB page. Welcome home sir!

That is what the IT manager told me. Speeds and latency were awful last week. Full review including multiple speed tests once I unpack.

Looking forward to the review! We are going to miss you on the Freedom group cruise next week.

Thx for the additional info. Set mine up about 30 minutes ago, but it still does not work. How long does the verification process take?

Who is your cellular provider and what cell phone are you using? It should be rather quick to set up (30-60 seconds typically).

If it is Verizon Wireless and you're using an iPhone, and you're in an area where you have 3 or more "dots" of signal strength, then Verizon Wireless will continue to use the cellular network preferentially; it only switches to "VZW Wi-Fi" if there are 2 or fewer "dots". Other providers and other phones may have similar restrictions that could be confounding your testing.

You can force a test by turning airplane mode and then enabling Wi-Fi. If your "Wi-Fi Calling" is enabled properly, you should see it being available.

^^^ even if you are not going on a cruise, if your phone/provider has WiFi calling capabilities you should turn it on and try it. There are times when even on land when you don't have a cell signal but you might have WiFi.

Edited by Biker19

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, put on airplane mode. If you go to settings and scroll down to phone, you can turn on wi-fi calling. I always have it on because I don't have good cell service at my house. This changed my life - now my phone works at my house. The phone will say wi-fi in the upper left next to AT&T. When on the cruise, make sure you're in airplane mode. Then you can basically use your phone just like at home - text, make phone calls. It's amazing. And no data or roaming charges.

I just looked and my iPhone 5S doesn't seem to have wi-fi calling as an option. Is that just a 6 or better thing? That would be a great thing to have for a client's house since the cell service there is pretty bad.

Edit to add, I'm with AT&T.

Edited by Amy1118

I just looked and my iPhone 5S doesn't seem to have wi-fi calling as an option. Is that just a 6 or better thing? That would be a great thing to have for a client's house since the cell service there is pretty bad.

I believe AT&T requires an iPhone 6 or better for WiFi calling.

I have a 6s. I just googled it, and it should work with a 5s (but not a 5). Make sure you have downloaded all the software updates. I initially discovered this feature when I called AT&T customer service to complain about my cell not working at my house. Maybe they can help you too if Google doesn't do the trick. Good luck!!

I believe AT&T requires an iPhone 6 or better for WiFi calling.

I have a 6s. I just googled it, and it should work with a 5s (but not a 5). Make sure you have downloaded all the software updates. I initially discovered this feature when I called AT&T customer service to complain about my cell not working at my house. Maybe they can help you too if Google doesn't do the trick. Good luck!!

Thanks to both of you. I'm currently one update behind so I'll try that first, then try calling AT&T. If that doesn't work, I'm past my two year term so eligible for an upgraded phone. :)

I just did a little searching and I don't think the Wi-fi calling is available on the iPhone 5S. :( For my cruise iMessage should be fine.

Also consider an app like WhatsApp, which will text with non-Apple devices too.

• 3 months later...

It sucked on our Nov 13th sailing. I posted a long rant on my post-cruise survey and offered to send them multiple screenshots of "poor connection", "unable to connect" and speed tests images from all over the ship. I got a call from HQ apologizing for the non-voom and they gave me $75 onboard credit for my next cruise.

It sucked on our Nov 13th sailing. I posted a long rant on my post-cruise survey and offered to send them multiple screenshots of "poor connection", "unable to connect" and speed tests images from all over the ship. I got a call from HQ apologizing for the non-voom and they gave me $75 onboard credit for my next cruise.

Nice to know that they are still sensitive to valid complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

We watched an upset internet user chastising an employee for what seemed like forever. Lots of eye rolling going on. If I didn't know better, he was giving this young employee a 2 hour lecture on how the internet SHOULD be routed through the ship, how the internet actually works, the true mechanics of the internet, blah blah blah.

I so wanted to tell him that all of his blathering wasn't going to fix the ship's internet. The poor employee politely listened though.

However, it should perform as stated.

However, it should perform as stated.

If one knew the complexity and limitation of getting an internet connection onto a moving ship, folks would be much more understanding.:cool:

Edited by Biker19