PrePaids and Packages on the QM2? What extras do I want?

LambKnuckles

Are there packages to buy before one cruises? On other lines there are drink packages, spa packages, soft drink packages, excursions, prepay tips, etc... What do you suggest I buy before I cruise? What do you recommend that I get on board? What do you recommend that I don't buy?

On other lines I get a drink package -- the one with adult beverages and coffees and milk shakes... I also get the Internet package. Are these options on Cunard, are they needed?

I truly am a novice on this cruise line... I need your help!

Occasionally there are liquor packages available in the suites as part of a booking bonus but as a rule Cunard doesn't offer alcoholic drink packages aside from a dinner wine collection. If you use the ship's internet to any degree you'll want to buy a bundle of minutes but there's no advantage to buying early vs buying on embarkation day (but buy on the first day for a few bonus minutes).

There is a soft drink package for around $8.50 per day. Cunard drinks packages

If you're concerned about a big bill at the end of the cruise you can pre-purchase onboard credit and then use that credit for gratuities and/or an internet package after boarding.

Cunard gifts brochure (pdf)

Lamb, Get your internet package the first day for a few minutes extra. Also check with the spa when you board, they often have good boarding day offerings. I would avoid buying from the 'little extras' on the voyage personalizer as they are not usually good bargains, but if a dear friend wants to buy you a "bon voyage gift", give them the information, Free Money is Free Money. Otherwise you are going to pay full price, so pay it as you spend it.

One of the few things I have found that is actually cheaper to pay for ahead of time is a post voyage transfer. If you prefer to use a Cunard transfer instead of arranging your our transportation from the ship, then you can save some money booking the transfer ahead of time rather than booking it on board. For example, coach transfers from the ship to any of the New York area airports are $40.00 per person booked in advance. The on board price I have from several years ago for those same transfers was $49.00 per person.

Regards, John

Lamb, Get your internet package the first day for a few minutes extra. Also check with the spa when you board, they often have good boarding day offerings. I would avoid buying from the 'little extras' on the voyage personalizer as they are not usually good bargains, but if a dear friend wants to buy you a "bon voyage gift", give them the information, Free Money is Free Money. Otherwise you are going to pay full price, so pay it as you spend it.

Thank you... Have a wonderful cruise, I see yours is coming up on the third.

I enjoy a cocktail of two in the evening, and like a latte or two during the day... Otherwise tea, iced tea, coffee and water are perfect for me.

I do enjoy purchasing the social package on Carnival, that gives me Facebook and What'sApp, but it seems Carnival hasn't rolled this out to other cruise lines in their family. For five dollars a day, it's handy. From what I hear, the Cunard Internet minutes are the only way to connect.

One of the few things I have found that is actually cheaper to pay for ahead of time is a post voyage transfer. If you prefer to use a Cunard transfer instead of arranging your our transportation from the ship, then you can save some money booking the transfer ahead of time rather than booking it on board. For example, coach transfers from the ship to any of the New York area airports are $40.00 per person booked in advance. The on board price I have from several years ago for those same transfers was $49.00 per person.

Regards, John

Good to know! I haven't made plans yet in NYC, but I will keep this thought.

If you enjoy a cup of tea on occasions, there's a coffee & tea station on Deck 2 forward (near Cunard Connexions, under the entrance to Illuminations) that's well-stocked with a variety of teas. I won't comment whether the hot water there is correct temperature for brewing a cup...

I discovered Lapsang Souchong there for the first time a few years ago.

If you enjoy a cup of tea on occasions, there's a coffee & tea station on Deck 2 forward (near Cunard Connexions, under the entrance to Illuminations) that's well-stocked with a variety of teas. I won't comment whether the hot water there is correct temperature for brewing a cup...

I discovered Lapsang Souchong there for the first time a few years ago.

Oooo... What a wonderful tip! I will write this down and remember it. And the tea suggestion, also. Thank you.

I am of a different thought on the airport transfers. To Newark EWR by all means the coach it's far cheaper than a car service or a taxi, To LaGuardia LGA or JFK, it depends on the number traveling in your party. For two the LGAtaxi is a bit cheaper, for JFK probable a toss up, but it does go when and where you want it to go. With the coach transfers you wioll loop from Terminal to Terminal at JFK and with the construction at LGA, I haven't any idea how long a coach will take to work it's way through the construction, or what obstacles you might encounter because of it.

I am of a different thought on the airport transfers. To Newark EWR by all means the coach it's far cheaper than a car service or a taxi, To LaGuardia LGA or JFK, it depends on the number traveling in your party. For two the LGAtaxi is a bit cheaper, for JFK probable a toss up, but it does go when and where you want it to go. With the coach transfers you wioll loop from Terminal to Terminal at JFK and with the construction at LGA, I haven't any idea how long a coach will take to work it's way through the construction, or what obstacles you might encounter because of it.

Thank you Bigmike. Since my flight home isn't booked yet, I don't know to where I need to go.