India, visa question

simonpjd

momzcruzing.....WOW, thanks! That's great news. I've been checking with various sources, on this issue, and get a variety of answers. ( Which is N O T reassuring ). I'll be on QM2 in 2 weeks for 14 days, NY > Southampton > NY and plan to get their

'answers' for the situation.

The BEST thing SANTA could bring me, this year..... is the news from CUNARD that India is being skipped.

Please let us know what you find out as I'm getting very nervous about this India visa thing too!!

Hello. We are booked on QM and will be in Cochin for a day. Only stop in India. Can someone explain the visa situation and cost. We are reading conflicting stories about what is required, type of visa, is it needed if staying on board etc.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I did a world cruises in 2007 and 2008 calling at Cochin for which we needed a visa, we also called at other Indian ports, we thought Cochin was a waste of time, and would have been furious if Cochin was the only stop in India. Paying over £100. each for the visa, just easy money for the Indian government.:evilsmile::evilsmile:

My wife and I did a world cruises in 2007 and 2008 calling at Cochin for which we needed a visa, we also called at other Indian ports, we thought Cochin was a waste of time, and would have been furious if Cochin was the only stop in India. Paying over £100. each for the visa, just easy money for the Indian government.:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Completely agree about Cochin!

Cochin may not be to everyone's taste but the Backwaters were beautiful and I even got to see decorated temple elephants being led in for a festival - and before anyone brings up animal welfare, they were attended by a vet and deep sand was put down to protect their feet etc. I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world. These experiences are why I travel the world.

It's possible the main tourist area of the Backwaters is a long way away, but we had a private tour and travelled no more than an hour by minibus. We had an amazing day on the Backwaters at Kerala - wouldn't have missed it for the world either. I don't understand people who make snap judgements about countries when they don't bother to look further than the ports in most cases. We've seen this all over the world from cruise passengers. We had one of our best trips ever in Iceland last year and only travelled 10 miles or so from the port. Back on the ship everyone was moaning about it being a 'dump' because it was 'cold' and 'the shops weren't very good'. Meanwhile we were having the time of our lives in the some of the best scenery I've ever witnessed on a glorious day.

It really does depend on one’s ability to sit for so long doesn’t it? An hour away is two hours after all.

I’m afraid I do find it extraordinary that people aren't able to accept that not everyone travels for the same reason, we all have different reasons for getting away from the winter, and all have different limitations.

We may not actually be able to travel next year now, in fact it looks very possible we won’t. I should know in a few weeks but our balance payment day is fast approaching. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping against hope.

cruiseluvva..... SOOOO Sorry to hear your trip may not be possible! I've grown very fond of you, on here, as we both share (very wise ) opinions and feelings. Is there a way CUNARD would allow you to postpone final payment due to

some uncertain ( medical ????) problems ?? WISHING you the very best.

Thank you Hihilo.

Yes, a random routine ECG picked up a potentially serious problem and I have to have a series of tests, the first next Saturday, and each one depending on the results of the one before. I desperately want to go, we both do, but as things stand wouldn’t be able to get insurance cover.

Fingers crossed, our paths will cross after all.

It's possible the main tourist area of the Backwaters is a long way away, but we had a private tour and travelled no more than an hour by minibus. We had an amazing day on the Backwaters at Kerala - wouldn't have missed it for the world either. I don't understand people who make snap judgements about countries when they don't bother to look further than the ports in most cases. We've seen this all over the world from cruise passengers. We had one of our best trips ever in Iceland last year and only travelled 10 miles or so from the port. Back on the ship everyone was moaning about it being a 'dump' because it was 'cold' and 'the shops weren't very good'. Meanwhile we were having the time of our lives in the some of the best scenery I've ever witnessed on a glorious day.

Sorry to go off topic but I'd be interested to know what you did in Iceland as, God willing, I am going next July.

Hi,most areas around ports are not great,you have to travel out a bit for the real experience.In San Jaun Del Sur,Nicuragua last year the immediate town was a poverty stricken place.We did a day tour with volcanic lakes,going to the top of an active volcano among loads of other things.Those that stayed had a moan on CC that the whole place was a dump.This can be offputting for newcomers,as they say dont judge a book by its cover,cheers,Brian.

Absolutely, Brian 1 ~~~~~ you would THINK everyone would know areas around cruise ports isn't interesting. B U T... several times each week, here in Hilo, Hawaii, where I live..... I watch cruise ship passengers get off their lovely ships and wander on their own. So--- they get to see shipping containers, h u g e fuel depot/tanks..... used car lots, used tire lots, the drive way to FED-EX, and the storage area for the tour busses. PRETTY Exciting, HUH ?? Oh-- W A I T ~~~~ parks, awesome beaches, golf courses, waterfalls, the volcano, lava, museums, art galleries.... are all here..B U T not in walking distance. :-(

Many thanks. Reykjavik, Akureyri and Isafjordur

It was Isafjordur I was specifically referring to. One of the most beautiful places we have ever been to and, I should imagine, even better in July. We went in May. We did an amazing little trip. Only lasted about 3 hours or so, but was truly memorable. We went with a local eider duck farmer who took us to his house, all around the fjord to a lovely village, out to see his ducks (they are all wild, farmed only in the sense that they gather the down). Had a terrific insight into what it's like to live there. His name is Björgvin and his website is bstours.is. We picked up the tour at the local tourist office, but well worth contacting him in advance to get him booked. Wasn't expensive either, about £40 I think.

In Reykjavik we did the Golden Circle tour with GeoIceland, http://www.geoiceland.com and in Akureyri we did a Game of Thrones tour with The Travelling Viking, http://www.ttv.is. Not too specifically Game of Thrones, mind, and just as enjoyable for anyone who doesn't watch the show.

cruiseluvva~~~~ Well, that's a " switch " !! Having the choice to save the bucket full of $$$ and avoid the irritation / PP sent off to a VISA agency, to get the visa........ W O W... nice news. THKS ! Any update on your being able to go ??

cruiseluvva~~~~ Well, that's a " switch " !! Having the choice to save the bucket full of $$$ and avoid the irritation / PP sent off to a VISA agency, to get the visa........ W O W... nice news. THKS ! Any update on your being able to go ??

Having one test on Saturday then a follow up with the Professor next Tuesday for the results. He will probably decide on a further test, but which one depends on the results. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

• 3 weeks later...
For those that are not concerned about going ashore in Cochin, I have it in writing from Cunard that without a visa passengers must stay on board.

Hi cruiseluvva, could I ask which department in Cunard wrote to you, as I need to check this with them also.

I emailed CIBT this morning with the same question, and have just had a reply saying the visa is required for Cochi, whether you stay onboard or not. It could be a case of CIBT trying to drum up extra business of course!

I

Hi cruiseluvva, could I ask which department in Cunard wrote to you, as I need to check this with them also.

I emailed CIBT this morning with the same question, and have just had a reply saying the visa is required for Cochi, whether you stay onboard or not. It could be a case of CIBT trying to drum up extra business of course!

Hi Durante. This is a quote from the Cunard website (visa page)

If you do not hold a visa or E-Visa, you must remain on board the ship when in port in India.

"