Do I want to cruise the Med on the constellation or infinity? Reflection better?

horatio123

Am considering a cruise to the eastern Med which includes an overnight in Venice. Have been told by a TA that cruise ships are no longer allowed to sail up the Grand Canal. Can anyone confirm?

You TA is misinformed or not up to date. There has been much discussion about this, but nothing has happened yet. I'm about to sail into and out of Venice on the Connie next month. We also have an overnight in Venice.

Am considering a cruise to the eastern Med which includes an overnight in Venice. Have been told by a TA that cruise ships are no longer allowed to sail up the Grand Canal. Can anyone confirm?

Well they never did actually sail up the grand canal. The rule as it stands is I believe under 96 GT which Connie and Infinity are. They have voted for a rule that limits it to 55 GT but I don't believe that will come into effect until the new dock, facilities, etc. are built and it's Italy, so heaven knows when that will be. You should be fine on any schedule that is already out there.

OP is not cruising in the Summer, so the clientele will be different...cruising in summer is just not fun IMHO, so I think by cruising in September, you will really enjoy your cruise. It just depends on your priorities...itinerary, old ship VS newer ship and ports! Only you can decide!

Your TA is deficient in her geography of Venice. Cruise ships have never sailed up the Grand Canal. They sail up the Giudecca Canal to the port. They pass the entrance to the Grand canal on starboard side.

enhance

Oceania is a different experience... More luxurious, better and high quality food, fewer people...

However, ships are smaller, offering less (simply because of lack of space). Entertainment is not an emphasis on O.

Oceania is a bit above the mass market - even if it is the upper end as Celebrity. Price tag usually also looks different though...

We never took Oceania or Azamara into consideration because of the smaller ships. I don´t want anything smaller than M-class. But that is subjective.

As others, but not that many have said (since it’s understandably a Celebrity thread), all ships are nice and the experience won’t disappoint you no matter what decision you make, but Oceania is a significant step up from Celebrity in all aspects except evening entertainment. If it’s something you’re considering it’s worth it for the food alone.

We have cruised the Med many times in everything from a Solstice Class ship like Reflection with 3000 passengers to one of the tiny original Seabourn sisters who had just 200 passengers. What I can say is that the Med is generally extremely calm (it has its moments like anywhere you sail) and you will have no issue with a large or small ship when it comes to the motion of the ocean.

You need to pick what’s important to you. I don’t think there’s any way to adequately compare Oceania and Celebrity- they’re different products. Celebrity is more than likely of the the more upscale of the mass market lines (HAL is in there too). Oceania is the next level up in terms of service, food, and ambiance. There’s no restaurant on a Celebrity ship that can touch Oceania (bracing for the responses to saying that here).

Both lines do a nice job, we have sailed them both and will continue to do so. But if onboard product is important to you, and it seems like it’s equally important to itinerary, you should consider the value you get vs the price you pay.

As others, but not that many have said (since it’s understandably a Celebrity thread), all ships are nice and the experience won’t disappoint you no matter what decision you make, but Oceania is a significant step up from Celebrity in all aspects except evening entertainment. If it’s something you’re considering it’s worth it for the food alone.

We have cruised the Med many times in everything from a Solstice Class ship like Reflection with 3000 passengers to one of the tiny original Seabourn sisters who had just 200 passengers. What I can say is that the Med is generally extremely calm (it has its moments like anywhere you sail) and you will have no issue with a large or small ship when it comes to the motion of the ocean.

You need to pick what’s important to you. I don’t think there’s any way to adequately compare Oceania and Celebrity- they’re different products. Celebrity is more than likely of the the more upscale of the mass market lines (HAL is in there too). Oceania is the next level up in terms of service, food, and ambiance. There’s no restaurant on a Celebrity ship that can touch Oceania (bracing for the responses to saying that here).

Both lines do a nice job, we have sailed them both and will continue to do so. But if onboard product is important to you, and it seems like it’s equally important to itinerary, you should consider the value you get vs the price you pay.

You are merely underlining my point. Oceania (just as Azamara, Regent etc.) is hard to compare to a mass market cruise line - no matter how good it is.

My post was just a reply to the OPs question...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. What if I threw O's Sirena in the mix?

If one is happy on the small luxury ships is subjective.

For Europe the itinerary determines what I do. With most med cruises being fairly port intensive I don’t put much value in what ship we are on.

That said, while we love Reflection and Silhouette we don’t hesitate cruising on the M-Class ships.

Depends on where you want to go. Reflection doesn't go to Venice. Connie does. Therefore, Connie wins for me.

Same here, lots of ports where a smaller ship is able to dock rather than tender, & no more S class ships in Venice.

If the itineraries are equally desirable, I'd pick an S class ship.

We're on Reflection next year, which I believe is the largest of the S class ships, but it's the only one offering the Iceland/Scotland/Ireland so there you go.

Can't help you with Oceania, that's above my pay grade lol. However, if it's a smaller ship, with less passengers & an equal itinerary, & you're comfortable with the price point, it seems like an easy choice. :D

Hi, actually ships don't sail on the Grand Canal. That's for smaller boats. The sail by passes St. Marks, & the entrance to the grand canal, it's pretty spectacular, one of the great sail ins/outs of all time for me.

DSCN1255_zpsbf365165.jpg

DSCN1274_zps4f5e415f.jpg

We have been on Reflection and most of the M-class ships and would not hesitate to take a cruise on any of them. All things being equal, Reflection is my favorite. We are planning a cruise next year and want to go to Venice, so Connie it is. A couple of things to note: (1) There are (or will be for our cruise in October, 2019) new traditional oceanview cabins on deck 3 -port side. I believe they moved a restaurant and added more cabins similar to what Celebrity did a few years ago on the starboard side. (2) The M-class ships will be undergoing "Edgeification" starting in 2019. I think I read Summit and Millie are the first. Supposedly, they are revamping all cabins and adding panoramic ocean view cabins so M-class will be great shape after the redo.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Me too. We went on Reflection last year in the Med during the peak summer season, end of July into early August, and never again - the extra deck of cabins definitely made a difference, everywhere felt crowded. The grass on the lawn was never visible due to the bodies and towels 2 inches apart. It was the first time we have witnessed ‘drunks’ causing issues on an X ship. The whole experience made us consider carefully what to book for this summer - hence our trying a different line (and we have 2 current placeholder reservations with X and another one with Royal, so the decision wasn’t taken lightly).

I have stated previously that it would have to be a very special itinerary for us to even consider Reflection again in the Med at the height of the summer season, and we’ve taken many cruises in Europe. So, that’s why my vote would be for Connie ;). Obviously, other opinions will differ as everyone wants something different from their vacation.

Heart sunk when I read this! We're on Reflection from the 9th to the 20th of July in the Med. Scottish and Irish schools will be on holiday but isn't that too early for the English schools??

We sailed Reflection only once..in the Carib, It is the newest but largest S class ship...BLU was very nice for AQ but overall we found Reflection was crowded in many spots. It does have a nice Persian Gardens compared to M class. We did not enjoy the layout with spa and Solarium on diff levels, truncated night club and larger circular bar at the aft area. There were .little nooks and crannies not conducive to music and folks were all over the place back there. Others love this ship and will disagree.

For a Medit ship, we'd choose the M class. Have not been on Connie in a few yrs but she was quite okay then.. Infinity in last year or so is aging with some glitches with A C and toilets. M class however seems better in. Medit for some.smaller ports although they were good with embark and disembark times in ports on Ref. . With the usual port intensive itins, you probably won't do as much on the ship besides dining and sleeping and a show or two.

I'd pick by the itin and try for less crowded cruise week for better on and off ship experiences. Have fun

Exactly..the reviews on Constellation somewhat made me look at other itineraries and ships. For our first cruise we would like both a nice boat and good itinerary experience. Am now checking out Edge although I wonder if four Spanish stops is too intensive. Thanks for all your feedback. Am keeping Venice in mind...is it just as much a must see as the Amalfi coast?

Our first ever cruise was on Constellation two years ago, Italy and Adriatics. Loved the ship, superb crew, great itinerary. We are well travelled just previously did not cruise. She is a great size ship - kinda biggish but still feels intimate enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on where you want to go. Reflection doesn't go to Venice. Connie does. Therefore, Connie wins for me.

This is one of the reasons we are planning to book a port-intensive Constellation cruise in fall 2019 that departs from Venice (includes an overnight!), and the Dalmatian Coast.

We also heard bad reviews of the Infinity before our Pacific Coastal cruise last fall, but they were unfounded...was in beautiful shape. Would not be afraid to sail the Connie. We have not been on an S-class ship yet (but will later this year). I'm sure we will enjoy it is well, but won't be afraid of the M-class ships either.

I also vote for the Venice itinerary and the Constellation!! We have sailed out of Venice twice and although both those sailings were on the Silhouette when the larger ships were permitted, would do it again on the M class to once again to relive the best sail-away experience ever!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Don't know O.

Haven been on Constellation and like her. She is a nice sized ship. We'll be on Reflection this year to the Med. We chose Reflection due to her B2B schedule, price and we've never been on her before. It has more passengers than Connie so we'll see how that goes on tender ports as well as general crowding.

CaribbeanBound could you possibly tell me what the sea is like on the Western Mediterranean Cruise? Can I expect rough waters or calm in September? I know every day is different, but I would like an idea what we are up against.

Thanks!!:)

We sailed Reflection only once..in the Carib, It is the newest but largest S class ship...BLU was very nice for AQ but overall we found Reflection was crowded in many spots. It does have a nice Persian Gardens compared to M class. We did not enjoy the layout with spa and Solarium on diff levels, truncated night club and larger circular bar at the aft area. There were .little nooks and crannies not conducive to music and folks were all over the place back there. Others love this ship and will disagree.

For a Medit ship, we'd choose the M class. Have not been on Connie in a few yrs but she was quite okay then.. Infinity in last year or so is aging with some glitches with A C and toilets. M class however seems better in. Medit for some.smaller ports although they were good with embark and disembark times in ports on Ref. . With the usual port intensive itins, you probably won't do as much on the ship besides dining and sleeping and a show or two.

I'd pick by the itin and try for less crowded cruise week for better on and off ship experiences. Have fun

Totally agree with your post. Connie is a fabulous size for cruising the Med ;).

Large cruise ships used to be allowed in Venice. The big compromise was only allowing smaller ships. That's why Celebrity will only have M Class ships in Venice. If you want a "newer" ship experience, book an Aqua Class cabin on the 11th deck. Those cabins (and balconies) are much newer and the add on of Blu bumps up the vacation quality as well.

From the looks of it, OP has never been to the Med and those large ship itineraries are fine. We had been on a couple of Med cruises before and our Constellation itinerary had two overnights. One was in Dubrovnik and the other was in Malta and you don't get either of those or overnights on a large cruise ship. Being in ports overnight and seeing these cities at night was a really nice feature for us. Being rushed for time in the Med is awful, especially considering tight port times and so much time that you have to allocate just to get places. To us, that is more important than the ship. It's not the Caribbean where that stuff takes a backseat to the ship itself.

Cinque Terre is lovely, my son and DIL went to one of the towns as a part of their Italy honeymoon. BUT Venice is a true bucket list experience. In fact, if you have an opportunity to spend a night or two in Venice before or after the cruise - take it. Venice is now very much a day tripper visit, so it is a totally different experience in the late afternoon, evening and early morning when the day trippers are gone. In some ways, I didn't like Venice, it is very expensive (part of why people go there on day trips), but it is unique place.

Cinque Terre is lovely, my son and DIL went to one of the towns as a part of their Italy honeymoon. BUT Venice is a true bucket list experience. In fact, if you have an opportunity to spend a night or two in Venice before or after the cruise - take it. Venice is now very much a day tripper visit, so it is a totally different experience in the late afternoon, evening and early morning when the day trippers are gone. In some ways, I didn't like Venice, it is very expensive (part of why people go there on day trips), but it is unique place.

Cinque Terre is better off done before or after a cruise and not as an excursion. We took a train there after our Adriatic cruise and spent the weekend. It's beautiful and relaxing and you have the beach clubs at Monterosso. At night, dinner outside or a boat ride along water can't be beat. Venice is beautiful and different and everyone should experience a ride on a gondola in the back canals, but it's also overridden with tourists in the summer to the point of congestion. It also can get overly hot. Since we've been to both, if I had to choose going back to one or the other, it would be back to Monterosso at CT.

The last thing I worry about on a Med cruise is the ship. If you like the Constellation itinerary better, go for it, especially if there are overnights in ports. It's a great ship and for the size of ship that it is, it really does have just about everything.

As mentioned in my prior post, we are not big fans of Reflection,

Connie would be our choice..Infinity not in as great shape but also a good size for Europe, we sailed her for a recent Pacific coastal...we had A/c issues ,..others had sewage issues..

Reflection is quite large,..they do a good job getting you on and off in ports...but ship felt very crowded to us. For Europe, the ports are the focus,,.ship less so...esp if a port intensive itin,

I'd save Ref for a fun in the sun Carib cruise...