How is MSC for a new RCCL cruiser, former Carnival?

We're eyeballing our options for next year, and it's down to MSC and NCL if we want to try anything new. We still love the Lido food options on Carnival like Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana, the comedy clubs and the Alchemy Bar, but overall we liked our first cruise on Oasis of the Seas far better. So much to do, better service, nicer ship, and lots of eats as well. Some people complained about the dinner options, but we never went hungry.

Any letdowns or surprises with MSC, or with our taste would we be better off trying NCL first?

We're eyeballing our options for next year, and it's down to MSC and NCL if we want to try anything new. We still love the Lido food options on Carnival like Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana, the comedy clubs and the Alchemy Bar, but overall we liked our first cruise on Oasis of the Seas far better. So much to do, better service, nicer ship, and lots of eats as well. Some people complained about the dinner options, but we never went hungry.

Any letdowns or surprises with MSC, or with our taste would we be better off trying NCL first?

I just got off the MSC Seaside this past Saturday. It was our first MSC Cruise. We sailed the Vista last year, the NCL Escape the year before. The MSC Seaside was awesome from top to bottom. Service was excellent and food was outstanding. You'll love it! I don't have much time to post at this moment but I will say that Carnival's food including the Lido food was absolute garbage compared to MSC. I'll post more later

MSC will not have as many food and activity and entertainment options as the large Royal Caribbean ships. I don't think anything at sea has as many options as the Oasis class ships so if that is what you are looking for, RCI is the best bet. I enjoyed both my cruises on MSC ships, mainly because they were a little different than Carnival/NCL/Royal Caribbean--more European (passengers, food, ambience), food I really enjoyed, and beautiful ships. So, as the previous poster mentioned, if you choose MSC, go in without unreasonable expectations. (Personally, I like variety so I have tried almost all the different cruise lines at least once--my third cruise on MSC next year will set a record for the number of times I've traveled on the same cruise line.)

Agree with flag fan. If a mega RCI ship is what gets you excited, I would not recommend MSC even new Seaside. No where near the level of activities or dining venues, the latter even as compared to Carnival.

We personally prefer MSC, like the European vibe, would have zero interest in wave pools, rock climbing and god forbid ice skating. That is why choices are awesome! But it is hugely different from an RCI mega ship. And from Carnival. As travelberlin said, read read and read.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you enjoyed the Lido food options on CCL then chances are you will not like the European style of MSC. You might want to try NCL, as long as you take advantage of their dine around plan and try the different dining venues with extra charges. The pax who are demanding a mass market American style cruise are not often satisfied with MSC as it is a different experience that veers from the usual form of CCL.

If you enjoyed the Lido food options on CCL then chances are you will not like the European style of MSC. You might want to try NCL, as long as you take advantage of their dine around plan and try the different dining venues with extra charges. The pax who are demanding a mass market American style cruise are not often satisfied with MSC as it is a different experience that veers from the usual form of CCL.

Agree. I've read several of your other threads. You've stated pretty clearly that you don't like "exotic food like squid and frogs legs." You're a fan of the ship that has Johnny Rocket's and the hot fog cart. There is NOTHING wrong with your personal choices and food preferences. But you will hate MSC.

When we sailed on the Davina, I don't think they had a comedian. They had opera one night which I thought was wonderful - but I'm guessing you're cringing at the idea of opera.

NCL is a good choice - buy you seem very happy with RC. I don't know why you would change.

Agree. I've read several of your other threads. You've stated pretty clearly that you don't like "exotic food like squid and frogs legs." You're a fan of the ship that has Johnny Rocket's and the hot fog cart. There is NOTHING wrong with your personal choices and food preferences. But you will hate MSC.

When we sailed on the Davina, I don't think they had a comedian. They had opera one night which I thought was wonderful - but I'm guessing you're cringing at the idea of opera.

NCL is a good choice - buy you seem very happy with RC. I don't know why you would change.

Opera is the evening entertainment or a side gig? My wife likes the female singer in old Nightwish CD's but not so much the traditional music. It doesn't sound like NCL is that great either, and honestly other than Guy's Burgers we're sick of Carnival food. Looks like Royal Caribbean is just our speed. :cool:

We love RCCL, especially the Oasis Class, but we enjoyed the Divina in 2015, and we are going again in November for a 12 day. It's a different vibe, and a real nice change of pace. We also enjoyed the Escape, but still prefer RCCL over NCL. Price is also an advantage with MSC.

This may be a surprise: Class segregation.

An obvious letdown will be the food. It's not a "European food" by the way.

The rest depends on the ship. Ships like the Preziosa, Fantasia are much nicer and not as crowded as their largest (Meraviglia, Seaside).

Yes, NCL first (Getaway or Breakaway).

The interview that you attached above was very interesting. Most of the problems described have been rectified...including the food. You will notice that he took his cruise in early January. He was a verification of why I always give a new ship at least a year to break in. I found his Astonishment at the so-called class segregation to be amusing. Does he also want to fly on an airline that has no First Class and no priority boarding? I’m sure there is a cruise company out there that will satisfy his needs.

They may rectify everything except the two things: crowds and poor food because these are the two hemispheres of their business model.

Airlines classes analogy does not work for cruise ships (explained in detail here).

Love your Compagnie Generale Transatlantique nickname.

We like good food, but we don't cruise to eat, so our next cruise is: MSC Orchestra

Thank you Ron, but I have to disagree with your explanation above. I believe the airline analogy is valid as well as the past 160 plus years of Cunard history that validate the division on board ships. I agree that the new Celebrity project sounds very nice but any comparison with that and the MSC Yacht Club is as apples and oranges. Th suite experience on Celebrity is nothing like the YC experience on MSC. Just as NCL is totally different from both. I like to think that there is something for everybody in each of these lines. BTW the food has improved on Seaside...according to the most recent reviews. MSC is a work in progress and they will continue to improve.

We love RCCL, especially the Oasis Class, but we enjoyed the Divina in 2015, and we are going again in November for a 12 day. It's a different vibe, and a real nice change of pace. We also enjoyed the Escape, but still prefer RCCL over NCL. Price is also an advantage with MSC.

I just learned that we're getting hosed on RCCL with a $12.95 charge per person for Johnny Rockets. The wife and I decided that we're going to either try Princess or Celebrity next year, and go into it with open expectations. It looks like they both have buffets and not just exotic foodie options, but more of the American experience we're used to.

We have been on four MSC cruises. All have been far above the experiences that we have had on RCL. Entertainment is fabulous, service is fabulous, and food is excellent. Already booked for another cruise. MSC is a well-kept secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just learned that we're getting hosed on RCCL with a $12.95 charge per person for Johnny Rockets. The wife and I decided that we're going to either try Princess or Celebrity next year, and go into it with open expectations. It looks like they both have buffets and not just exotic foodie options, but more of the American experience we're used to.

You seem to be focused on food options so I would say go with Celebrity. You will really like their buffet system and MDR experience. Their extra tariff venues are also very good.

I really enjoy MSC> If you like a more international flare among the passengers and food options, I think you'll like MSC. Their ships are very well maintained, have a luxurious appeal, and the cabins seemed to be much larger than on other ships. I would definitely recommend giving MSC a try, just go with an open mind and if it's not your cup of tea, don't go again.

I just came back from MSC and was pleasantly surprised. I had low expectations because of the reviews, but they impressed me more than RCL and NCL unless you stay in the Haven. The food isn’t fancy, but fresh and light which I liked. The burgers and pizza better than RCL, the staff seemed to genuinely care, it’s the most I’ve ever seen of the captain and officers. The cruise director was awesome. The status match works and we hit so many perks since we were RCL Diamond members. Even though it wasn’t Broadway shows, I loved all of them! High quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done several Celebrity cruises in Aqua Class and loved the food in their restaurant, Blu. We are thinking of doing Yacht Club on MSC. It seems that we would really enjoy the privileges and benefits of YC on MSC. Any thoughts?

We've done several Celebrity cruises in Aqua Class and loved the food in their restaurant, Blu. We are thinking of doing Yacht Club on MSC. It seems that we would really enjoy the privileges and benefits of YC on MSC. Any thoughts?

MSC Yacht Club is a great way to try something new. If you like a big ship experience with a touch of luxury then YC is for you. We found it to be excellent.