APT Won't Return Deposit?

room010

My elderly mother paid $2000 deposit on an APT Vietnam/Cambodia Mekong River cruise scheduled for Feb 2014. Due to various unforeseen circumstances she is no longer able to take this trip and so asked for her deposit to be refunded as she is well within the 100 day cancellation "window".

To her/my astonishment APT has said they won't refund the money but instead they will hold it for 5 years to put towards a future APT cruise. Apparently there is something to this effect buried in the bookings small print but I haven't checked that yet. If she signed the contract then she is probably tied to it, but it seems a bit sneaky as the likelihood of elderly customers having to cancel for health (or worse!) reasons seems quite high.

My mother, along with the majority (?) of APT river cruise customers is a fit and healthy senior but even she realises she can't possibly plan her vacations that far in advance.

Can anyone illuminate me?

Did she take out travel insurance that covers cancellations? Seems like she just changed her mind. Probably, got two choices. Commit to the original contract and go on the cruise or take the offer of holding a credit note. Could be worse. She could just lose the 2K without any options.

Like they say the devil is in the detail.

She didnt just change her mind (long story) and she does have insurance but we don't yet know if it will pay because technically she's getting the refund, albeit a 5 year credit rather than returning the money. Like I say, it's a bit sneaky and maybe a warning to others. Do other companies have this policy I wonder?

This is an interesting one.

I believe their cancellation policy is as follows:

"Cancellation Policy - For all holiday packages the following APT cancellation fees apply:

Days of Notice: Fee Per Person

100 days or more Loss of deposit

99-61 days 50% of holiday package price

60 days or less 100% of holiday package price"

So by their terms, the deposit is lost whenever you cancel after confirming the booking, this is not all that unusual.

The offer of holding the deposit against a future holiday booking is an extra 'protection' they offer, so in effect they are allowing your mother to avoid losing her money if she books another holiday.

The tricky part is the effect this has on any insurance claim.

Maybe it was naive to think that cancelling 8 months prior to departure would be straightforward or maybe her agent should have explained it more clearly before she signed on the dotted line instead of stressing how important it was to book early and secure her place on the cruise. Like I say, if this is what the contract says then so be it, but I do think its disingenuous of APT to describe it as a "refund" when in fact it's a credit. At the moment, aged 84, she has her health and faculties but that could change in a heartbeat so committing to a cruise up to 5 years hence is risky to say the least, not to mention she has other things to do with that $2000.

She has a comprehensive insurance policy but I'm sure they will seize on any opportunity to wriggle off the hook so I'm not hopeful. I think it's likely she's lost the money and APT has lost a customer. Like they care...

Room 010, I am glad you posted, so FEW people who are unhappy with that company do. I'm afraid I can't help with the fine details or indeed their fine print, but I can assure you that you will be beating your head against a brick wall to convince them they are anything but perfect.

I am booking with another company right now, and though I am happy with this company I am amazed at how small their pay in full discount is, cancellation insurance - again, I think that $89.00 or whatever it is might well be worthless.

If there's any medical grounds, I would try and claim on your insurance for sure, it would be less hurdles that dealing with this company based on their values.

Unfortunately for her claim (but fortunately for her!) she has no health issues to speak of and certainly nothing to warrant cancelling on those grounds. She wouldn't be comfortable submitting a fake medical claim and neither would her doctor.

I guess it just irks me that APT is using ambiguous wording to mislead their customers. Yes, it's Ma's responsibility to read the small print and I really wish she'd let me look at it before she signed up, but what's done is done and I don't expect APT to show any flexibility but some goodwill would be nice.

Maybe other cruise lines define "refund" and "credit" as the same thing (I certainly don't) but its worth alerting people.

Refunds are always tricky and I certainly understand companies not wanting to be in the position of being left with cabins due to people cancelling. But I think it is wrong, that if the company rebooks that cabin, which is very likely 8 months prior to sailing that they keep the $2000 deposit and get paid in full for the cabin on top from another client. It's double dipping. Of course any administrative costs should be deducted. By giving a credit they still may make an easy $2000 as the credit may never be used on a future trip. I know we have to abide by the refund terms set out by individual companies but I have always thought the policy morally wrong. Its making money from peoples misfortune. Of course the company should not be out of pocket if people cancel but are they entitled to make huge profits? I think this applies to accomodation and airlines as well.

Agree. It's almost a form of blackmail to force people to book another cruise with a company they no longer like or respect. She shouldn't have to book again under duress but this horse is well and truly flogged so lets see what transpires.

this very unfortunate. from what you have said she has cancelled before the 100 day period?

did she book via an agent? can they assist her?

it sounds like a large deposit? was she travelling alone or with others?

have you sought assistance from your consumer protection agency? they maybe be able to help or point you in the right direction.

can your mother transfer her booking to someone else who may like to travel on that cruise?

have never heard of being asked to book another cruise within 5 yrs or lose the deposit.

if booked with an agent, seek their assistance and clarify if they gave full advice verbally and in writing re cancellation terms and conditions. it will all rest on those terms and conditions.

good luck.

She actually wishes to cancel some 200 days before departure date! I've now looked closely at the APT terms and conditions and it says the deposit is lost if cancellation occurs 100 days OR MORE before departure so giving her a "refund" in the form of a 5yr credit is doing her a favour from their point of view no doubt.

She did use an agent (the one with the friendly cardboard cutout pilot) but obviously she either didnt ask the right questions or they didnt volunteer the relevant info.

So her choice seems to be either book another APT cruise in the next five years, assuming she doesn't meet her Maker beforehand, or lose the $2000 deposit.

thanks for your reply. this info maybe helpful to others too no doubt.

why was a deposit of $2000 required, it seems a large amount?

what has been flightcentres response to this issue? where did the 5 yr condition appear was it in the terms and conditions?

as said have never heard or read about that before.

have apt said she can use the $2000 on any other travel product with them, or does it have to be another cruise only?

hopefully this can be resolved. $2000 is a lot of money.

regards.

Glad to hear your mother has good health and that is not the cause of her cancellation.

Your post prompted me to look at the various companies that we book with to compare their cancellation policies and the variation did surprise me.

It looks like a cancellation on Viking would have cost her $100, but on Regent and one of the other ocean cruise companies we use she would have lost the full 15% deposit.

You can often arrange to transfer the deposit to a different cruise though and that seems to match what APT are offering.

Strange as it may seem, APT do not seem to be out of line with the industry, whereas Viking seem to be unusually generous.

I have found that the deposit refund policy with river cruise lines is very different from big ship cruising. In all 3 cases of my booking, the deposit is 'non refundable' for any reason, totally unlike the ocean cruise lines. Knowing that at the time of booking certainly means no surprises in the event of cancellation.

Archived