MSC vs HAL?

HatRez

My bro-in-law called and asked for our opinion on MSC. They've never cruised before and have two boys, 11 and 8. Friends of theirs have invited them along on a holiday.

We have only ever cruised HAL so we couldn't really provide him with advice on this line specifically. What are some of the pros and cons of MSC for a young family and maybe how it would differ from our experience on HAL?

I've also posted this on the MSC board. Thanks for any help you can provide.

My bro-in-law called and asked for our opinion on MSC. They've never cruised before and have two boys, 11 and 8. Friends of theirs have invited them along on a holiday.

We have only ever cruised HAL so we couldn't really provide him with advice on this line specifically. What are some of the pros and cons of MSC for a young family and maybe how it would differ from our experience on HAL?

I've also posted this on the MSC board. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have been on MSC opera and have over 100 days on HAL. With that said I will NEVER go on MSC again. You just can't compare the crew of HAL to MSC. HAL is so much better. If you like hearing every thing that is aid over the loud speakers all day long in five different languages then go with MSC. Food if better on HAL. Yet there a people who love MSC. But not me.

MSC has a reputation of having very nice hardware (the ships), but their software pales in comparison to what you are accustomed to in food quality and service levels. This is compensated for in the cost per day, which is typically much lower than HAL. If food and service levels are not high on your lists of must haves on a cruise MSC will offer a great value. Trust me that you will not starve or lack in service on MSC, but you won't likely come back talking about the food.

I agree with most of the previous posts. We have been on three HAL cruises and have a fourth booked for October. We sailed on the MSC Orchestra a few years ago.

As others have said, the ship was beautiful, but the experience, overall, was less than HAL. The food was okay, but not great.

It really got old hearing everything repeated in five or six languages. And there were a lot of announcements.

The good news is we got an aft-facing cabin for the same price as a side-facing one on the same deck. Apparently MSC doesn't (or at least they didn't in our case) charge a premium for the aft cabins.

The cabin was a bit small. I don't recall the cabin cateogory, but it was very similar to a Vx category on HAL's Vista class ships, but more compact.

We found the Orchestra to feel much more crowded than any of the HAL ships we've been on. I remember waiting at the photo desk in a mob that was four deep and shoulder to shoulder. Very unpleasant.

We probably won't be sailing on MSC again.

You can beat HAL on price. You can beat HAL on amenities. But its very hard to beat them on both. We think that HAL is one of the better values in the industry.

I have been on MSC opera and have over 100 days on HAL. With that said I will NEVER go on MSC again. You just can't compare the crew of HAL to MSC. HAL is so much better. If you like hearing every thing that is aid over the loud speakers all day long in five different languages then go with MSC. Food if better on HAL. Yet there a people who love MSC. But not me.

I'd have to agree with almost all of this, but we would sail MSC if price and itinerary were right. We did a Black Sea on MSC and the ports were great. The ship.....not so much.

I sail mostly with HAL, but have sailed twice with MSC - most recently on the Divina, in the Caribbean. I would like to clarify some statements made by others. If your family are looking at the Divina from Miami, then I would definitely recommend it. They will enjoy a good childrens' programme, will have great entertainment, and, if they are in a balcony cabin, (the only one I know), they will have plenty of room in a very modern layout. The itineraries are quite inviting, with a lovely day on the NCL private island.

The Divina food selection is fine. We never had a bad meal, and our wait staff were very attentive, The buffet is very good - with a children's section as well as a great variety of other offerings. There are very few announcements, and they are only made in English - which is the language of choice in the Caribbean.

The Divina is a beautiful ship, offering a reasonably priced cruise for a family. There are others on this board who would dispute my findings :rolleyes: - but I have been with MSC, AND I am a loyal HAL repeater. I would happily answer any other questions you may have. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Edited by pictonite
punctuation

I sail mostly with HAL, but have sailed twice with MSC - most recently on the Divina, in the Caribbean. I would like to clarify some statements made by others. If your family are looking at the Divina from Miami, then I would definitely recommend it. They will enjoy a good childrens' programme, will have great entertainment, and, if they are in a balcony cabin, (the only one I know), they will have plenty of room in a very modern layout. The itineraries are quite inviting, with a lovely day on the NCL private island.

The Divina food selection is fine. We never had a bad meal, and our wait staff were very attentive, The buffet is very good - with a children's section as well as a great variety of other offerings. There are very few announcements, and they are only made in English - which is the language of choice in the Caribbean.

The Divina is a beautiful ship, offering a reasonably priced cruise for a family. There are others on this board who would dispute my findings :rolleyes: - but I have been with MSC, AND I am a loyal HAL repeater. I would happily answer any other questions you may have. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I enjoy the Italian onboard ambience such as I experienced on Sitmar and Home Lines, as well as on Princess, to a degree. But, the inconsistent reports keep making me reluctant to book.

I hope others will share their experiences.

We sailed MSC once, (Divina) and there's not much that company does right. One time was enough, never again. Food was terrible, service even worse. Very limited menu on a seven day cruise.

Ship was glitzy with small cabins. The only thing MSC has to offer was value. Their cruises are about 25-30% less than HAL cruises.

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I enjoy the Italian onboard ambience such as I experienced on Sitmar and Home Lines, as well as on Princess, to a degree. But, the inconsistent reports keep making me reluctant to book.

I hope others will share their experiences.

MSC is nothing like Home Lines. I just loved Homes Lines and sailed on Oceanic about seven times. What a great cruise line that was in its day. Remember the pool mats they gave you to sit on?

MSC is nothing like Home Lines. I just loved Homes Lines and sailed on Oceanic about seven times. What a great cruise line that was in its day. Remember the pool mats they gave you to sit on?

Truthfully, I do not remember those mats. But, my one sailing was on the Oceanic, New York-Nassau, in 1973. They could have been there and I did not realize it or my memory, not to be surprised, is faulty.

I do recall visiting, when this was possible, the Homeric--the old Homeric--before she sailed from New York on a cruise. Alas, it was not too long after that visit that she caught fire. But, what a lovely ship! I wish I could have sailed aboard her!

I wish to add that when I learned that Richard Sasso, whose cruise industry history dates back to Celebrity Cruises in their infinity, if not before, was appointed the U.S.A. CEO of MSC, he would be able to make a positive impact on providing a product that was acceptable to those of us who remember Home Lines, Sitmar Lines, and the Italian Lines. Based upon what I have learned, his impact has not really been felt.

And, in sending him snail mail, as well as e-mail, I get no response.

Disappointing to be sure!

Edited by rkacruiser

If you are really thinking about what the Kids will like, I think you should expand your list to include RCI & NCL.

And, Carnival Cruise Lines as well.

HAL is no slouch when it comes to programs for children in my opinion.

cruised with my children last year for the first time (12+8 years old)

we went with the Eurodam and we all loved it! 8 year old loved Club HAL

Our children are not very 'spoiled' with kids clubs so what HAL offered was enough but I think that the MSC offers more for the kids.

I compared a few cruises last year and I read a lot of bad reviews about the food on MSC (on of the biggest reason we took HAL)

and it's very crowded on MSC ships...big groups, Italian families...we prefer more quied area's!

the child fares on MSC are on the other hand very interesting but please check carefully what you have to pax extra on board; for example the bowling court or gameroom!!!

we liked HAL and will cruise the Noordam this summer!

Edited by ol3

Hello,

As you see we sailed with both lines and I agree the above said all. I have 2 teenagers age 18 & 16 and they have been cruising with us since day one. Ask my kids and they will go with HAL, teenagers love GOOD food and like to interact with English speaking teenagers. HAL cabin size is alot bigger than MSC.

We sailed on MSC due to price (we could afford a balcony). The food and service was terrible but there are people that swear by them (on different ships) so I would try a different MSC ship if the price was right. When booking though just check on how many children there are. They have kids sail free deals and I've heard horror stories of children running wild. They do not have the strict child guidelines that other cruise lines have. On my recent Princess cruise a family was kicked off due to their children's behaviour. This would not happen on MSC.

We have had one experience with MSC - on the Divina out of Miami. It was a kid-free charter so can't say anything about the youth activities but it seemed to have more going for it than HAL does.

That said... our balcony cabin was smaller than a comparable cabin on HAL's bigger ships and the bathroom was also more compact. Food and service was hit or miss and the buffet was very disappointing - almost no variety from day to day (breakfast was pretty much the same every day). In the dining room pasta and fish dishes were better than meat dishes. The coffee was horrible - we used our beverage package coupons to buy get decent coffee at the coffee bars. Our cabin steward as as good as any we had on HAL.

The ship itself is beautiful and has some exciting offerings and spaces.

Considering all that I doubt I would sail on MSC again soon. For someone that has never cruised before and with children and a decent fare, I think it may be worth it to book.

Edited by Boytjie