Seeking flight advice Boston to Prauge

MinotLight

My friend & I are booked on Viking Legend next April for Danube Waltz. We paid extra for Viking Air Plus.

Anyone have advice on which airlines are best, best connecting cities, minimum connecting times, should we book economy plus, ...

We are flying home from Budapest.

Thanks for all insights!

I don't know the implications of Viking Air Plus. Do you still get to select your own routing? Putting sample dates into ITA Matrix, you can get open jaw (BOS-PRG-BUD-BOS) routing next April for $928 pp on Turkish Airlines and numerous other airlines for around $1200 pp.

United Airlines uses "economy plus", Delta has "economy comfort," Air France has "premium economy" etc. Each term has an airline-specific meaning and the terms are not interchangeable.

You will get many more responses if you post this question (along with specific dates and your understanding of Viking Air Plus) on the Cruise Air board.

... understanding of Viking Air Plus...

It is an option to select your own flight schedule from what Viking can offer. I assume the OP uses Viking Air.

There will be numerous responses about best connection cities, connection time etc...

I don't know the implications of Viking Air Plus. Do you still get to select your own routing? Putting sample dates into ITA Matrix, you can get open jaw (BOS-PRG-BUD-BOS) routing next April for $928 pp on Turkish Airlines and numerous other airlines for around $1200 pp.

Turkish Airlines flights all seem to require a change of planes in Istanbul, which is often (as in this case) dramatically out of the way.

To Prague, I have found the nicest way is non stop to Munich and then the high speed train from Munich to Prague. Great scenery, relaxing, and one arrives downtown Prague making transfer to the hotel extremely easy. Time wise can often prove to be of little different.

We just flew BOS to Prague with Delta - Boston to JFK, then JFK to Prague in Economy Comfort, not very comfortable at all IMHO.

Our return will be Budapest to Paris, Paris to Boston with Air France. They had the best schedule and price (booked independently).

I second the suggestion to post this on the Cruise Air board, you will most likely get good advice. One caveat, if your first stop in Europe is an EU country, you will clear immigration and enter the Schengen area. Be sure to allow time for that. I believe many suggest 2 hours between flights which would also allow for a late arriving flight.

Edited by purduemom1
Adding to post.

My friend & I are booked on Viking Legend next April for Danube Waltz. We paid extra for Viking Air Plus.

Anyone have advice on which airlines are best, best connecting cities, minimum connecting times, should we book economy plus, ...

We always fly Lufthansa to Europe and find they offer service to just about everywhere through Frankfort. I have used them to fly to Hungary, Romania,

Brussels, Prague, Bucharest, Kiev and Moscow and have never had a bad flight. We were on the first plane out of JFK after the Icelandic volcano disruption and we were "stuck" in Frankfort over-night due to the cabin attendants strike, both times we found the airline to be truthful and helpful way above what I would expect from USAir, Delta or American. I haven't flown United in ages, so I can't speak to them. And if you fly business class, their lounges are terrific and the seats recline almost flat.

Avoid Moscow and Kiev you are flying hours past your destination!!! Delta via JFK or Lufthansa via Frankfurt (FRA)I believe Lufthansa is one of the better choices for connections in Europe. From a relaxing standpoint avoid Icelandic Airways because you will spend several hours (in the middle of the night)transferring planes. Lufthansa has directly flights Logan to FRA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Munich is the big hub for all flights to Eastern Europe. LH has a direct flight from Boston to Munich and there are multiple flights from Munich to Prague or Budapest. Munich is a pretty easy airport (and I don´t say this just because it´s my home airport ;)).

steamboats

Apologies I misread a previous reply. (I'd thought I'd read someone was suggesting they fly to Prague via Moscow or Kiev.)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't mean to imply flying from JFK to Prague via Moscow or Kiev, what I meant was that I had flown LH many times TO Prague and Moscow and Kiev. :D

My wife and I flew Boston to Prague with British Airways, lay-over in Heathrow. Economy Plus was very nice, wide seats, etc., and well worth the money. We also used Viking Air to make the arrangements. Again, well worth the money.

George

• 3 weeks later...
Turkish Airlines flights all seem to require a change of planes in Istanbul, which is often (as in this case) dramatically out of the way.

And, I have read elsewhere on CC, if you are forced out of the passport controlled area to get that flight, you will be forced to buy a visa before you can get to your next flight. Avoid changing planes in Istanbul.

If they are flying out of Istanbul, they'll need a visa anyway. If they should choose to fly Turkish air back, it's not a problem. When they apply for the visa online, just make sure it covers the dates of the inbound flight as well.

From Boston, we found flying TA both ways was the cheapest if you are flying out of Istanbul back to Boston anyway. And we get one direct flight, which is nice and kind of unusual unless you can fly from NYC to Europe. We are connecting in Istanbul to Budapest, it's only an hour. I'm not sure how much further Prague is from Budapest, but would it be more than a 2 hr flight from IST?

I'll let you know how Turkish Air is ;) We've got two coach seats together, alone in a 2-4-2 configured aircraft, fingers crossed it isn't miserable- at least we won't have a neighbor:rolleyes: We've been to FP, OZ, and South Africa and South America all on coach and those were far longer flights from BOS, but we aren't getting younger, I'm not willing to pay for biz class yet...but the day may be coming!;)

Thanks for all insights!

We avoid Frankfurt, as it can take up to 3+ hours to clear immigration. I prefer Copenhagen, Zurich or Geneva, or Amsterdam to make a connection. We have used Viking Air and pay the extra, and have been able to choose our flights, connecting airports, etc. Arriving in Prague is easy; small airport, good signage. etc. If you have the time, a few extra days in Prague is worth it. Great city- sights, art, food, people, etc.

We avoid Frankfurt, as it can take up to 3+ hours to clear immigration. I prefer Copenhagen, Zurich or Geneva, or Amsterdam to make a connection. We have used Viking Air and pay the extra, and have been able to choose our flights, connecting airports, etc. Arriving in Prague is easy; small airport, good signage. etc. If you have the time, a few extra days in Prague is worth it. Great city- sights, art, food, people, etc.

While I avoid Frankfurt like the plague, I have never had any immigration experience that you have described. Always went very quickly butttt

We only were transiting to another flight... This was where we entered the EU from the US and there were definite immigration procedures that was not experienced in other EU airports as we had already been admitted.

We arrived during very crazy busy times and never waited more than a few minutes.

Frankfurt airport is very large and the walk from international arrivals to domestic gates is a long long trek!

My advice is to one, avoid Frankfurt if you can, two, make sure you have at least 2 hrs to connect as the walk alone can take an hour and just being confused by the large very weird airport will ad extra time to the connection.

Well that's my experience anyway, but I never had issues with long waits for immigration..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

While I avoid Frankfurt like the plague, I have never had any immigration experience that you have described. Always went very quickly butttt

We only were transiting to another flight... This was where we entered the EU from the US and there were definite immigration procedures that was not experienced in other EU airports as we had already been admitted.

We arrived during very crazy busy times and never waited more than a few minutes.

Frankfurt airport is very large and the walk from international arrivals to domestic gates is a long long trek!

My advice is to one, avoid Frankfurt if you can, two, make sure you have at least 2 hrs to connect as the walk alone can take an hour and just being confused by the large very weird airport will ad extra time to the connection.

Well that's my experience anyway, but I never had issues with long waits for immigration..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I fly into Frankfurt most if the time and agree with you...never had a problem with security in fact they're much nicer than I expect! The distance between Int. Arrival and domestic departure is terrible. It is the ONLY time I will use the words fortunate and wheelchair in the same sentence! And now they have the new terminal making it even further! I would say 2 hours is cutting it close unless you're a fitness walker....

I just found this thread and have questions about the "high speed" train from Munich to Prague. DH would love to do this. How far ahead do we need to get tickets? Would the Rail Pass work? Do the cars have compartments where we can have our luggage overhead? I have heard that you have to watch luggage all the time to keep it from being stolen on some trains. Thanks.

Last year flew Swiss Air biz and it was wonderful. Great service and very comfortable sleeper seats for the overnight flight to Zurich. From Zurich it is only 1 1/2 hr flight to PRG.

There are nonstops from BOS to ZRH. Then a short connection to PRG. Coming home is similar - short flight from BUD to ZRH and then a non-stop ZRH to BOS.

I would suggest a short stopover in Zurich (overnight). You can stay at the airport and take the train into the city; fly out to PRG the next day. It's a great way to accustom your body to the time change.

Anyway, the ZRH airport is also great - easy to get around and very efficient but with expensive shopping but a fantastic food court. And you get to ride the Heidi train between terminals.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

• 1 month later...

Just booked our flights for April using Viking Custom Air. I was looking for a flight plan that would have enough time to make a connection without feeling rushed and get us into Prague around lunchtime. After looking at all the choices with direct flights from BOS to a European gateway, we opted for BOS to Frankfurt with a not quite 5 hour layover for a flight to Prague. Even at the speed I walk, there should be plenty of time to find our departure gate.

Note: At least for the seats we are in (restricted economy class) Lufthansa charges per leg for choosing seats in advance. Still, with Viking's fare deal, the custom air fee and with paying the extra for choosing our seats, Viking's fare price was still below the airline's website price for the same flights without the added seat fee.

Thanks everyone! Original poster here.

We just booked last week with Brittish Air stopping in London to Prague & home from Budapest. We got times we like-leaving Boston at 7:10pm arrive London 6:35. Leave London 9:50 arrive Prague at 12:45. For flights home we leave Budapest at 2:10 (this was #1 reason we did air plus so we wouldn't leave at 6am) arrive London at 15:45 leave at 19:25 and arrive home at 21:40 - too bad it will take 8+ hours instead of the 2 on the clock after the time zone change.

We stuck with economy as we didn't think it was worth about $250 more each way to upgrade to premium economy or nearly $1,500 each way for Business Class.

We looked at Lufthansa but the layovers were either too short or too long. We didn't like the idea of flying in the wrong direction to NY for the Delta flights. It's not so bad on the way but I still remember flying home from Helsinki and seeing Boston as we flew by on the way home and knowing it would be hours before I would be home.

The trip seems so much more real now that flights are booked.