What have you seen from your balcony?

Kermit426

Excited for our family's first RCI cruise on the Navigator in March 2016. Thinking about taking a pair of binoculars along in hopes of seeing something cool.

A couple questions for those that have cruised, Eastern Caribbean especially.

* What is the coolest thing you have seen from your balcony?

* Do you take binoculars along?

* If so what type/brand to you use and where did you buy them?

(Looking for a nice travel budget friendly pair, not necessarily the best in the world.)

Thanks everyone!

Excited for our family's first RCI cruise on the Navigator in March 2016. Thinking about taking a pair of binoculars along in hopes of seeing something cool.

A couple questions for those that have cruised, Eastern Caribbean especially.

* What is the coolest thing you have seen from your balcony?

* Do you take binoculars along?

* If so what type/brand to you use and where did you buy them?

(Looking for a nice travel budget friendly pair, not necessarily the best in the world.)

Thanks everyone!

We saw lots of flying fish, a sea turtle and a ray.

We have seen Dolphins which was fun. Favorite thing about balcony is the pier runners. Especially at Cozumel as they sprint toward the ship. Hot sun, many many drinks, lost track of time, OH shoot boat is going to leave without me!!

Is so relaxing having a balcony. From morning coffee to late night cocktails we really enjoy the balcony.

Naked people!:eek: Seriously! We had an aft balcony on Brilliance in Jan. 2015 and we were docked in Cozumel next to the Liberty. We were having a glass of wine, watching people coming back to the ship when we noticed a guy on the Liberty just walk out onto his balcony completely naked to talk to his wife. He looked over our way, then jumped back into the cabin and pulled the curtain around himself. :D

A few minutes later there was another couple who never closed their curtains as they dressed for dinner. With cabin lights on, we could see right into their cabin! The man was doing all kinds of body building poses in front of the mirror!! We were not trying to be "creepy peepers" but it was all out there! Remember to pull those curtains when in port!!

Edited by corts2c
spelling error

Runners are great! We have seen seals, a beluga whale!, dolphins, lots of flying fish and one time my lime green plastic dust pan from college went floating by out in the middle of nowhere on a TA cruise.

As far as binoculars go, get a mid-priced pair. The cheap ones are pretty worthless.

Edited by dbali

I travel with my Nikon with a great lens. We used to travel with a pair of budget binoculars, but have not had success seeing much better with them. The camera lens is my first choice.

What we have enjoyed most seeing from the balcony:

Amazing storms in the distance:

79627794.jpg

e132ca53.jpg

Wild life, like flying fish, seals, sailfish and my favorite... whales (Alaska and St. Maarten)

DSC_0304.jpg

Beautiful sunrises and sunsets:

DSC_0259.jpg

A variety of seacraft:

DSC_0288_zps51121353.jpeg

DSC_0333_zps64793709.jpeg

All sorts of sea life

Seals

Dolphins

Flying Fish

Whales

Turtles

Some things I wouldn't want to mention on nearby cabin's balconies

A view into a hotel room when we docked virtually eye to eye. [which is a lesson to keep you curtains closed]

I don't usually take binoculars, but I do have some rather large Camera lenses that I rely on.

Thanks everyone, this is encouraging. Well...except for the people who forget to close their curtains. :o I'd probably find it amusing, but don't want to have to explain that to my 9 year old. ;)

Runners are great! We have seen seals, a beluga whale!, dolphins, lots of flying fish and one time my lime green plastic dust pan from college went floating by out in the middle of nowhere on a TA cruise.

As far as binoculars go, get a mid-priced pair. The cheap ones are pretty worthless.

I'll second that. Check out the website for Eagle Optics, lots of good options there. Optics are a perfect example of "you get what you pay for":)

Edited by bouhunter

I'll second that. Check out the website for Eagle Optics, lots of good options there. Optics are a perfect example of "you get what you pay for":)

Bushnell 16x32 $39.99 on sale from Dicks. Really nice going to Alaska next week

Bushnell 16x32 $39.99 on sale from Dicks. Really nice going to Alaska next week

There's no such thing as a nice pair of binoc's for 39.99:D Also it wouldn't be recommended for the average person to get 16x binoculars, most would have trouble holding them steady. 8-10 is plenty.

Also, cheap glass like that combined with 16 power and relatively small objective lenses (32) is going to result in very poor light transmission.

Edited by bouhunter