Muster on Aria - Outside

PacificBear

Boarding Pacific Aria tomorrow. Not really looking forward to the muster on the outside decks in 30 deg heat. On my last cruise 2-3 people in my area had to be taken away due to feeling faint, etc.

I hope this has changed since I was last on her and they now do them inside like every other P&O ship.

I wonder if the outside deck muster is a hangover from when Aria was Ryndam and a HAL ship. We did an Oosterdam cruise from Sydney and had a similar open deck muster experience. In our case with a view of the Opera House and lower temperatures. It was a problem for anyone who needed to sit down. It may have something to do with the design of the ships or the safety/emergency drills approved by whoever does this???

I would say you are correct (a hang over from HAL). I have been told many ships in Europe do outside muster, but was also told only about 50% of passengers turn up to them in Europe (not certain that is true). Personally I think its crazy doing it outside. There is enough space internally to do them on the Aria.

If I remember rightly ,with HAL , we had to line up at our lifeboat station on deck carrying our lifejacket from the cabin. Each one had the cabin number on it and after the message from the bridge was broadcast , they called all the numbers on their list. Those who were not there , got a note sent to their room asking them to show up the next day for another drill.:eek:

The main reason that the muster is being held outside on Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden is for ease of access to lifeboats in an emergency. On Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl there is direct access to the embarkation deck from the interior public rooms, on the two new ships, the Promenade Deck has only cabins with the public rooms being situated on the two decks above that, therefore in an emergency passengers, some of whom are likely to be in a very agitated state and others with mobility difficulties, would need to quickly negotiate stairs. Better to muster in discomfort on the outer decks close to the lifeboats rather than to have panic inside in an emergency situation.

As a matter of comparison, both Carnival and Royal Carribean muster on the outside decks. I know it is uncomfortable, but the whole point is getting people of the ship, it is not about having a party and a social gathering. Interior mustering works on the older P&O ships, it even works for Princess, but it is just not going to happen on Pacific Aria and Pacific Edenno matter how many people complain about it.

Hi Shiprobbo, thanks for advices.

So all the rhetoric that we have been told over the years that its safer inside in a lounge, than outside on the deck must be BS. Not certain I would like to be on an outside deck in heavy seas waiting for staff to stuff around above my head trying to launch a lifeboat.

Anyway, the weather was on our side for muster on deck yesterday, only one lady in my area (lifeboat 7) was taken away for almost fainting.

Edited by PacificBear

I am thinking of booking on Aria for Dec 2016, our issue is that we have been on Carnival for our cruises prior 1 in the US and 1 in AUS, and we are concerned we will be disappointed! Yes Carnival do outside muster, but it's on a covered deck and is quite cool. Carnival is very efficient at all they do! Will we be disappointed?

• 2 weeks later...

Our 3 RCI cruises have had muster out on deck and to me they are a complete waste of time. Unless you're in the front row, you can't see or hear a thing. When they did the roll call, anyone could've answered as they didn't bother looking and as you don't take your life jacket with you, most people probably wouldn't have a clue how to put it on. P&O's musters are far better and at least you feel like they are worthwhile (although I haven't

been on Aria or Eden yet).

• 2 months later...
I am thinking of booking on Aria for Dec 2016, our issue is that we have been on Carnival for our cruises prior 1 in the US and 1 in AUS, and we are concerned we will be disappointed! Yes Carnival do outside muster, but it's on a covered deck and is quite cool. Carnival is very efficient at all they do! Will we be disappointed?

I just finished a cruise on the Aria,and it was very uncomfortable outside for the muster and not nice being under the life boats as stated by someone else.

There were other issues I wasn't happy with such as showers over baths, no fridges in cabins,and queuing for reception just to name a few, but we had good friends and made the most of it.Unfortunately P&O are now off our cruise list.;(

we were on eden last week same thing on deck wasnt too long though about 20 min

was suprised to notice no scanning of cruise cards

got a feeling regulars just stayed in their cabins

The cabin staff do a check of the cabins and public spaces.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Pity it's outside.

For the above comments, some of RCL's musters are outside and some inside. Agree you don't always hear outside - but have also had the same with some musters inside. It's really ship and lounge specific; some have good facilities, some are just relying on the speaker's voice.

Just off the Eden this morning.

The muster was outside as expected and they didn't check any names or scan sea passes like on other lines, so not sure how they could tell if everybody showed up or not.

It was also so crowded I'd hate to imagine what it would be like in an emergency and people have to use the life boats in a hurry.

Yes, If you choose to be disappointed then you will be. Really, we are talking about a 15 - 20 minute muster after all. We were on Aria recently and were not surprised with the outdoor muster (It is a covered deck, just depends where the sun is) - we have not had an indoor muster since our last P&O.