Liberty of the Seas Voom speeds

Hi everyone, yet another question regarding the WiFi. Has ANYONE sailed on Liberty since the supposed VOOM upgrade that went into fleet wide effect on June 1st?

I keep reading posts from people who sailed prior to then but nobody seems to have commented on the Surf and Stream since the 'upgrade'. I've read where people have said it doesn't have the O3B (??) satellite and this is what is really required etc.

I have pre-purchased the 'regular' (non-streaming, cheaper) WiFi for my 17 y.o. son so that I can communicate with him via text while on-board as he'll be running about with his 17 y.o. BFF. For me, I spent the extra $ on the 'surf and stream' upgraded VOOM so I, and our young daughter, can hopefully Facetime/Skype with my better half who is not coming on the cruise with us. Am I wasting my money?

Thanks for any advice.

Liberty has not yet reported speeds consistent with the O3b service on Oasis class. The internet service on the ships without O3b is a moving target, so you may or may not be able to do video streaming by the time of your cruise.

I still don't know what that really means - if there is no O3B service how slow/bad is it? :o I'm fairly computer illiterate in that regard. Sailing August 14 so I would assume that whatever the ship has going on right now is what it will be in a week and a half. Has anyone tried streaming/Skyping on the Liberty with success?

... I would assume that whatever the ship has going on right now is what it will be in a week and a half....

That's what I'm trying to explain when I said "moving target". It might be different in a week and a half. We've seen some ships have their speeds adjusted from earlier reports.

Toomany please drop back in on your cruise and let us know. I will be on board the week of Sep 18th. I will log speed tests and post. Frankly anything i can use all day is better than Princess limited.

FYI i called and spoke with a manager at RC they state that they are all using O3b will see

Edited by BeachBum777

As with some other info RCI reps hand out, this one is false as well.

Yes I've been following your posts.

Certainly not claiming it's true.

Since I have seen no speed tests from that ship I still will post them

Edited by BeachBum777

Yes and they were rather emphatic about it. " our internet partner that we utilize streams directly through o3b satellites on every ship "

a945d544a8959cd4d2fbfe1fbffdab09.jpg

Kind of wondering whether its 50% true as in yeah it streams through the lower orbiting satellites but they don't have the right equipment on the ship.

I think someone posted once on Liberty of the Seas that they never got more than one meg down anywhere or anytime.

I haven't seen actual Graphics of someone posting the ping / up / down on liberty. So as stated earlier I will test and Report my findings so that this can be even more definitive.

Edited by BeachBum777

Yes and they were rather emphatic about it. " our internet partner that we utilize streams directly through o3b satellites on every ship "

Kind of wondering whether its 50% true as in yeah it streams through the lower orbiting satellites but they don't have the right equipment on the ship.

I think someone posted once on Liberty of the Seas that they never got more than one meg down anywhere or anytime.

I haven't seen factual Eyed Peas beans UPS Downs graft and reported from the ship so as I said I will do it

If you see pings around 200ms or less, then it's O3b.

Dang you quoted before i could retype that voice recognition mess haha.

To be honest well that's an oxymoron in this thread isn't it. If I could get 1 meg down not get booted all the time pay the $80 and have internet access continually that will be satisfactory for me at this point

Edited by BeachBum777

Dang you quoted before i could retype that voice recognition mess haha.

To be honest well that's an oxymoron in this thread isn't it. If I could get 1 meg down not get booted all the time pay the $80 and have internet access continually that will be satisfactory for me at this point

True, 1 meg is an improvement over what it used to be, and the ping times don't bother my kind of usage. However, I wish they would not mis-represent the situation. Someone who has had the O3b service on Oasis class probably expects the same level of service on the other ships now, and that just is not the case.

Yes I get the clarity issue [emoji2] . I've been with Princess since the beginning of my cruise days purposely jumped ship 2 Royal because of the inclusive internet offerings. Rumor has it that Carnival will have all of their sister companies with inclusive Internet packages or unlimited within the next year including princes

Galveston is extremely convenient for us as we own property there and Princess no longer departs out of Houston.

So I will try and Royal Caribbean for a while

Edited by BeachBum777

Yes I get the clarity issue [emoji2] . I've been with Princess since the beginning of my cruise days purposely jumped ship 2 Royal because of the inclusive internet offerings. Rumor has it that Carnival will have all of their sister companies with inclusive Internet packages or unlimited within the next year including princes

Galveston is extremely convenient for us as we own property there and Princess no longer departs out of Houston.

So I will try and Royal Caribbean for a while

If Liberty does get O3b by the time you cruise, you will be very spoiled.:)

I looked at those ships that have it and the majority of them are out of I don't know where is it ? Manhattan New York? and I have no desire to go that direction when it's cold.

Theoretically in the winter months even when you leave Galveston you're going to lose three days of warm but you don't have to pay for airfare to Florida.

I would imagine on a 7-Day out of the upper part of the United States you would lose approximately 5 days of laying at the pool weather

Edited by BeachBum777

Hi everyone, yet another question regarding the WiFi. Has ANYONE sailed on Liberty since the supposed VOOM upgrade that went into fleet wide effect on June 1st?

I keep reading posts from people who sailed prior to then but nobody seems to have commented on the Surf and Stream since the 'upgrade'. I've read where people have said it doesn't have the O3B (??) satellite and this is what is really required etc. ...

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, here is Speedtest result from Monday, 1Aug on Liberty. I logged on when Captain announced our itinerary change (97L a.k.a. Earl called dibs on Roatan and Belize) to view alternate shore excursions.

Surf and Stream, ipad, cellular off, just royal wi-fi

ping: 1232 ms (not the speedy Voom)

down: 0.28 Mbps

up: 1.56 Mbps

checked a few minutes ago (sea day somewhere between Cozumel and Nassau) and dowload was just about half that. Upload pretty consistent speed.

Hope this helps.

* forgot to mention ... this speed was in stateroom very front of deck 6. I will try speedtest in public area later and post again

image.jpg.b873369125a7a213ee88e7df22584b10.jpg

Edited by peach section
added test location on ship

Hi, here is Speedtest result from Monday, 1Aug on Liberty. I logged on when Captain announced our itinerary change (97L a.k.a. Earl called dibs on Roatan and Belize) to view alternate shore excursions.

Surf and Stream, ipad, cellular off, just royal wi-fi

ping: 1232 ms (not the speedy Voom)

down: 0.28 Mbps

up: 1.56 Mbps

checked a few minutes ago (sea day somewhere between Cozumel and Nassau) and dowload was just about half that. Upload pretty consistent speed.

Hope this helps.

* forgot to mention ... this speed was in stateroom very front of deck 6. I will try speedtest in public area later and post again

That's the worst ping speed I've seen yet. I think they must be doing moonbounce now.:rolleyes:

did you buy the higher tier surf and stream? ,

yes, I did. If I had to do it again, I would have simply bought the regular surf package. That would still be a bargain at pre cruise promotion price.

I wanted to keep an eye on the tropical disturbance and let family at home know of the changes, and it is slow as molasses, but at least it is working for my needs.

That's the worst ping speed I've seen yet. I think they must be doing moonbounce now.:rolleyes:

The really bad ping correlates with the really crappy download speed. I experienced the same on Grandeur - at peak usage performance goes down along with speeds while ping times go up. I suspect few people upload a lot so the up speed can stay up.