NextCruise...Just Say No

Stopped by the NextCruise office on Oasis to inquire about a 2019 Harmony sailing as the small $100pp down payment being advertised was attractive. Quote given came with $200 OBC. Penalty to change cruise date was $200 ($100pp) thus making the OBC a total wash. Fair enough, policy clearly stated, but a lot can happen in two years and I'd expect a little bit more of an incentive to book that far out. All of that aside, when comparing the "out the door" final price vs what was offered on the RC website, I'd be paying MORE money by booking on-board.

Just wanted to share this experience as I actually had to wait in a line to talk to these people. Perhaps others have found it advantageous to book on-board, but that was not the case for me.

How exactly is the “out the door” price from booking onboard higher than booking on the website? The onboard prices are supposed to be the same as the website at the time of booking. Did you compare to website the same day or some time later?

How exactly is the “out the door” price from booking onboard higher than booking on the website? The onboard prices are supposed to be the same as the website at the time of booking. Did you compare to website the same day or some time later?

Same day. I've seen the prices change by the hour so this does not surprise me. My point is that RC makes it seem as though booking on-board has its perks. It did not, in my experience. Just wanted to share.

Same day. I've seen the prices change by the hour so this does not surprise me. My point is that RC makes it seem as though booking on-board has its perks. It did not, in my experience. Just wanted to share.

But it does have its perks $200 OBC

But it does have its perks $200 OBC

That's true. But the price advertised online had $100 OBC...but with a lower fare. Point being that at the end of the day, there was no bargain. I am actually looking at the document right now that they printed out for me on the ship.

"Book your next cruise and get up to $600 onboard credit! Earn an extra credit up to $100 when you book more than 6 months in advance."

So, the offer did in fact have an extra $100 OBC, but the overall price was still cheaper to book myself online.

That's true. But the price advertised online had $100 OBC...but with a lower fare. Point being that at the end of the day, there was no bargain. I am actually looking at the document right now that they printed out for me on the ship.

"Book your next cruise and get up to $600 onboard credit! Earn an extra credit up to $100 when you book more than 6 months in advance."

So, the offer did in fact have an extra $100 OBC, but the overall price was still cheaper to book myself online.

You can still book on board and get the OBC. Once you get home if you see the fare is lower just call and get your fare adjusted. There is only a penalty if you change ship or sail date.

You can still book on board and get the OBC. Once you get home if you see the fare is lower just call and get your fare adjusted. There is only a penalty if you change ship or sail date.

I see what you're saying, makes sense. I guess I had unrealistic expectations that booking on-board 2 years in advance would have a little more then a $100 credit to "grease the wheel" so to speak. Good to know. :)

I see what you're saying, makes sense. I guess I had unrealistic expectations that booking on-board 2 years in advance would have a little more then a $100 credit to "grease the wheel" so to speak. Good to know. :)

It's only ever been OBC and reduced deposit. Except the took away the reduced deposit unless you opt for non-refundable deposit. Note that GS or better staterooms are always non-refundable deposit now, no matter how you book.

It's only ever been OBC and reduced deposit. Except the took away the reduced deposit unless you opt for non-refundable deposit. Note that GS or better staterooms are always non-refundable deposit now, no matter how you book.

Thanks for the info and yes, you're correct, the deposit was non-refundable.

And with a fee of $100pp to change the reservation, thus making the offer $200 OBC a "complete wash" (exact words from the sales rep's mouth) I fail to see any incentive to book so far out in advance. Life has too many unexpected turns over the course of 2 years.

Maybe one day I'll find one of those crazy good deals I always hear about. :)

Interesting they have added more sales people for next cruise office and have lessened the value of booking onboard.

Also on the NOS the Loyalty ambassador has been moved to deck 2 forward where the old theater was.

Shows what is more important to RCCL Sales or Loyalty??????

Maybe one day I'll find one of those crazy good deals I always hear about. :)

Good deals are available almost every week - they are limited and one needs to be flexible. The really good ones are usually posted here on CC.

Biker, who booked the last two cruises from deal postings on CC.

Interesting they have added more sales people for next cruise office and have lessened the value of booking onboard.

Also on the NOS the Loyalty ambassador has been moved to deck 2 forward where the old theater was.

Shows what is more important to RCCL Sales or Loyalty??????

I think they added to the Next Cruise staff long before they changed the reduced deposit terms. It will be interesting to see if the still need all that staff.

That is rather unusual but as others have pointed out if you see a lower price, even the same day, you can get the lower price and still keep the OBC for booking onboard. When I book onboard, I take my iPad with me with the website price already researched.

The only advantage I can see to booking two years in advance is your choice of cabin. If you want coveted cabins that are hard to get, that may be the only way you can book such a cabin.

Another change I recently learned in RCI policy is one I overheard in the Diamond Lounge. The concierge told a gentleman that suites do not have guarantee pricing. I'm pretty sure we booked junior suites several years ago with guarantee pricing. I guess those days have gone with the wind. I had no idea suites were in such demand.

The only advantage I can see to booking two years in advance is your choice of cabin. If you want coveted cabins that are hard to get, that may be the only way you can book such a cabin.

Another change I recently learned in RCI policy is one I overheard in the Diamond Lounge. The concierge told a gentleman that suites do not have guarantee pricing. I'm pretty sure we booked junior suites several years ago with guarantee pricing. I guess those days have gone with the wind. I had no idea suites were in such demand.

I'm still seeing suite guarantee options.

Stopped by the NextCruise office on Oasis to inquire about a 2019 Harmony sailing as the small $100pp down payment being advertised was attractive. Quote given came with $200 OBC. Penalty to change cruise date was $200 ($100pp) thus making the OBC a total wash. Fair enough, policy clearly stated, but a lot can happen in two years and I'd expect a little bit more of an incentive to book that far out. All of that aside, when comparing the "out the door" final price vs what was offered on the RC website, I'd be paying MORE money by booking on-board.

Just wanted to share this experience as I actually had to wait in a line to talk to these people. Perhaps others have found it advantageous to book on-board, but that was not the case for me.

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly you can keep your next cruise on board credit even when you get a price adjustments. I have booked a couple of nonrefundable cruises for 2019. And I have gotten price adjustments on both. So if I had even more on board credit I would love it. While I would book on board I will not pass up a good price to wait to book on board.

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly you can keep your next cruise on board credit even when you get a price adjustments. ...

This is still true, and it's the only OBC that can be combined with other OBC/perks.