Black and white night

sammybonny

We will be on Britannia next month and this will be our first 7 night cruise. Will one of the 2 formal nights be black and white does anyone know?

The cruise personaliser just says 2 black tie nights 5 casual.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yes one of the formals will be black and white night. Usually the 2nd formal.

Yes one of the formals will be black and white night. Usually the 2nd formal.

We also have a seven night aboard Britannia planned and have never done P&O before. Will hubby need a different outfit for the second formal night? He is only just sorted with the black tie not sure this will go down well!:eek:

We also have a seven night aboard Britannia planned and have never done P&O before. Will hubby need a different outfit for the second formal night? He is only just sorted with the black tie not sure this will go down well!:eek:
No men dont really wear anything different for black and white night just us ladies, but my husband sometimes wears a black bowtie with white spots.[emoji6]

Always wear a white tux, black wing collar shirt and white bow tie on black and white night. My good lady also wears a combination of black and white but then we both love the formal nights.

Peter and Jenny

No men dont really wear anything different for black and white night just us ladies, but my husband sometimes wears a black bowtie with white spots.[emoji6]

This presupposes that gentlemen wear a black or white jacket, shirt and tie on formal nights. It is possible on formal nights one might be thinking of wearing a dark blue suit for example.

Regards John

Ties of all shapes & colours are worn on all formal nights

But the vast majority of men wear a bow tie on formal nights. Someone new to cruising who just wears any old tie may feel a bit out of place. It’s no real hardship to buy and wear a black bow tie, even if just worn with a regular white shirt and a dark suit (if they don’t wish to buy a dinner suit).

.....it’s also worth remembering that they are no longer called formal evenings, they are called Black Tie evenings. The clue is in the name!

The term Black Tie is a distinct dress code with internationally known requirements. The term implies you need to wear a tie of a specific colour but it is more of a general term. P&O outline in detail their requirements for a P&O Black Tie evening. They mention that it is possible to wear a dark lounge or business suit, national dress or a military uniform.

Regards John

But the vast majority of men wear a bow tie on formal nights. Someone new to cruising who just wears any old tie may feel a bit out of place. It’s no real hardship to buy and wear a black bow tie, even if just worn with a regular white shirt and a dark suit (if they don’t wish to buy a dinner suit).

Just returned from Britannia's Transatlantic cruise,4 'Black Tie' nights & the majority of men were certainly NOT wearing black bow ties,as I said in my previous post there was a great variety of tie types & even a great variety of colours among those who chose to wear bow ties.

I myself did wear a black bow tie on one of these nights but not on others & certainly didn't feel out of place.

Black Tie merely means that a dinner jacket is required, as opposed to White Tie which requires a tailcoat.

If you were to turn up to a White Tie event wearing Black Tie kit but with tails you'd look very out of place as there's little in common between the two outfits. https://www.debretts.com/expertise/etiquette/dress-codes/

Cunard have recently lost the plot and renamed 'Formal' and 'Informal (Jacket Required)' to 'Gala Evening' and 'Smart Attire'. P&O would be mad to dumb down their descriptions in the same way, but calling their formal evenings 'Black Tie' isn't helpful because that's not what they really mean.

My father in law forgot his suit on our cruise last year, asked what the minimum requirements were for the formal/black tie evenings, we were told as long as he wears a jacket he would be ok. My sons do wear a bow tie for one evening and a normal tie for another.

Perhaps instead of the black and white night we could have a "dress up" night. Would be interesting to see what people would wear.

My father in law forgot his suit on our cruise last year, asked what the minimum requirements were for the formal/black tie evenings, we were told as long as he wears a jacket he would be ok. My sons do wear a bow tie for one evening and a normal tie for another.

Perhaps instead of the black and white night we could have a "dress up" night. Would be interesting to see what people would wear.

P&O have never made it very clear to the uninitiated what Black and White implies. There is an old story of one lady who took it to mean fancy dress and turned up as a fresian cow complete with udders. It is not recorded whether she was admitted to the MDR.

P&O have never made it very clear to the uninitiated what Black and White implies. There is an old story of one lady who took it to mean fancy dress and turned up as a fresian cow complete with udders. It is not recorded whether she was admitted to the MDR.

That is hilarious!!imagine standing in the queue for dinner and a cow appears!!haven't laughed so much for ages Denarius so thanks for that !!!:loudcry::D:D:loudcry::D

First cruise and my hubby is planning on taking his kilt!!!

As a word of warning, on a recent British Isles cruise I noticed two gentlemen wearing kilts. In the atrium area two wives were standing together chatting while the two gentlemen stood together while a number of drinks waiters and waitresses had photographs taken with them on their mobile phones. Probably got served quicker by their new found friends in the days thereafter.

Regards John

First cruise and my hubby is planning on taking his kilt!!!

My hubby takes his kilt, gets a great reaction!

Enjoy the experience of cruising, we went our first to Alaska in 2013 and have done at least one a year since.