Celebration sun beds

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:06 PM.
#1
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Hi
Thinking of going on Celebration next summer but have some what been put off by comments about lack of sun beds as I sadly like to spend a lot of time sun bathing.Just back from Island Escape had brill time plenty of beds not always around pool but I wasn't bothered by that as long as I could get a bed.Is it as bad as I keep reading in reviews.
#2
2,784 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Hayden11
Hi
Thinking of going on Celebration next summer but have some what been put off by comments about lack of sun beds as I sadly like to spend a lot of time sun bathing.Just back from Island Escape had brill time plenty of beds not always around pool but I wasn't bothered by that as long as I could get a bed.Is it as bad as I keep reading in reviews.
What time of year are you going? We went in August and on our first week, there was a problem getting sunbeds-if we'd been out for the morning, we were lucky if we got 1 sun bed between 4 of us when we came back! There were plenty of "empty" sunbeds with towels, books, bags etc on though! One day, I resorted to going to the top deck where the sports deck was, found the "park bench" up there, put my towel on that & lay down - there were people up there just lying on the floor on their towels! The second week, it wasn't quite as bad but still not very easy to get one......

I will say that the ship was at full capacity so no empty cabins at all both weeks....

On the other hand, if you're the type that gets up at 7-9ish in the morning and lies on the sunbed all day without getting off the ship then you won't have a problem getting a bed -a couple of days when we didn't get off the ship until a bit later, we had no problems getting a bed!!
#3
sunderland
72 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Hi. Just got back a couple of days ago and i didn't find sun bed situation too bad. I always managed to get one round the pool which was the busiest area tho I did get up early on sea days to ensure this. 8.30 ish. There was a steward who did issue timed tickets and did remove belongings from beds - much to my glee - but this was intermittent. I still did spot reserved beds where people had obviously got of the ship for the morning which was irritating. It was probably easier for me as I was only looking for a single sun bed as hubby prefers the shade.
#4
Yorkshire, UK
238 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
That's good to hear gills50. We're off on Monday - being an early bird I'm sure I'll have no problems. The DH is not a sunbather so it sounds as if we'll be happy.

To news about the polcing - if only hap-hazzard.
#5
8 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Thanks for replies we are going in Aug have been on every Thomson ship.This year was our second on island Escape.We had a lovely time, don't know what it will be like when it goes all inclusive next year.even thought here were plenty of sun beds people were still reserving sun beds and getting off ship.Thomson really need to take that seriously.
#6
2,519 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by Hayden11
Thanks for replies we are going in Aug have been on every Thomson ship.This year was our second on island Escape.We had a lovely time, don't know what it will be like when it goes all inclusive next year.even thought here were plenty of sun beds people were still reserving sun beds and getting off ship.Thomson really need to take that seriously.
I have noticed that they have began to start issuing more tickets onto sunbeds, warning people about reserving sunbeds, but I have yet to see the rule of removing belongings be enforced. It has definitely worsened over the years. Been up at 8 am before and walked down the Promenade Deck and one side was completely full already (nobody on them though of course! ). Thomson definitely need to start enforcing this rule.
#7
Shropshire
435 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Sailaway487
Been up at 8 am before and walked down the Promenade Deck and one side was completely full already (nobody on them though of course! ). Thomson definitely need to start enforcing this rule.
If you saw empty sunbeds at 8 am so what. Surely the point is how long have they been reserved but unoccupied. This is where the situation needs to be 'policed'. You are absolutely correct in saying people leaving the ship are unlikely to use their reserved sunbeds for at least an hour, probably longer.

The practical problem is how long are people given. How long do you have to sit on a bet for the clock to start ticking? Do you have to get sunstroke to keep a sunbed all day. Some people sit for a time & then go for food, a drink, go to reception, toilet, back to their cabin etc etc

Unfortunately we have created a self centred society where me comes first. People who lose out tend to be those who try to consider other people as well as themselves.

Surely there are other ares Thomsons could use their staff to inprove cruises rather than police us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2000 Sun Cruises Carousel - W Med - ????? (Palma)
2001 Sun Cruises Carousel - W Med - Med Medley (Palma)
2002 Sun Cruises Sunbird - W Med -Islands & Africa (Palma)
2009 Island Star - Eastern Caribbean (Barbados)
2010 Thomson Destiny - W Med Moorish Delights (Palma)
2011 Thomson Celebration - Gems of the Aegean (Marmaris)
2012 Thomson Spirit - Cities of the Baltic (Newcastle)
2013 Thomson Celebration - Crimean Discovery (Marmaris)
2013 Thomson Celebration - Egypt and The Holy Land (Marmaris)
2014 Thomson Dream - Caribbean Latin Gems (Barbados)
2014 Thomson Dream - Caribbean Charms (Barbados)
2015 P&O Oriana X502 - Madeira Canaries & Portugal (Southampton)
2016 Thomson Dream - Mayan Treasures (Jamaica)
2016 Thomson Dream - Cuban Revolution (Jamaica)
2017 P&O Oriana X703 - Norway and Northern Lights (Southampton)
2017 Thomson Majesty - Catalan Promise (Palma)
2018 Thomson Celebration - Sail Three Seas (Dubrovnik)
2018 Thomson Celebration - Venetian Vistas (Dubrovnik)
#8
Figheldean
3,104 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Its a problem, not just on Thomsons, there simply aren't enough beds to go around, we can never find a sunbed on the sea day! we tend to get a drink and lean on the rail instead hopefully waiting just in case one will become vacant (never happens) actually, its quite pleasant to gaze out to sea watch the birds, the flying fish, sometimes dolphins, however we often get complaints from people on the sunbeds that we are blocking their view! My Word! What can you Do? You cant get a sunbed and you’re not allowed to stand up either!! I once spent and hour sitting on an upturned bucket behind the pool bar!!

cant sit in the poolside bar either all the tables are occupied by people reading books one chair for them and another for their feet!
#9
Figheldean
3,104 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
And Another thing (while we are on this subject) there are those that get up early and proceed to arrange sunbeds for their group in a nice big circle with plenty of room for themselves and push all the other beds in the row up so that everyone else has about 1" between them and their neighbours armpits!!
#10
lancashire uk
1,947 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Parking timers on the sunbeds that is the answer

when your time is up say. two hours ?

after that time..............

then your sunbeds and all belongs will be gone

alarm rings and you must move ........ quick
then you may find your way to Palma airport on way home


............and walk the long walk .............yes we all know it...............in or out

all part of the fun

Stevie
#11
2,784 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by geomagot
And Another thing (while we are on this subject) there are those that get up early and proceed to arrange sunbeds for their group in a nice big circle with plenty of room for themselves and push all the other beds in the row up so that everyone else has about 1" between them and their neighbours armpits!!
I would just love to scoop up all their belongings and throw them in the pool & suffer no consequences from the result of my actions....lol
#12
wrexham
105 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Hayden11
Hi
Thinking of going on Celebration next summer but have some what been put off by comments about lack of sun beds as I sadly like to spend a lot of time sun bathing.Just back from Island Escape had brill time plenty of beds not always around pool but I wasn't bothered by that as long as I could get a bed.Is it as bad as I keep reading in reviews.
YES
#13
Yorkshire
896 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Celebration ( Spirit ) and Dream have this issue - Destiny never really had this as an issue - Majesty seems to be in between the two extremes but not been on her yet.

Unfortunately as the " customer is always right " it is somewhat difficult for the deck hand to act as he has little authority and can easily get in to arguments - however if someone uniformed went around and did the "sharp end" of it then there would be less issues. The crew fear complaints and the perceived consequences so it is easier to do nothing unless the situation is completely out of hand.

I have seen sunbeds reserved for hours on the Destiny which has caused little or no problem due to vast deck areas and number of beds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Since 2006 :-
Thomson Spirit Mar 2006
Thomson Celebration April 2007
Thomson Destiny Sept 2007
Thomson Spirit April 2008
Island Star June 2008
Thomson Destiny Dec 2008
Thomson Destiny May 2009
Thomson Destiny Sept 2009
Thomson Celebration Nov 2009
Thomson Spirit April 2010 - Cancelled due to ash !
Thomson Destiny - June 2010
Thomson Destiny - December 2010
Thomson Destiny -June 2011
Thomson Dream - June 2011 - 1 day visit
Thomson Dream - December 2011
Thomson Destiny - April 2012
Thomson Dream - September 2012
Thomson Dream - December 2012
Thomson Celebration - April/ May 2013
Thomson Dream - Nov / Dec 2013
Thomson Dream - April/May2014
Thomson Dream - December 2014
Thomson Celebration - April 2015
Thomson Dream - December 2015
Tui Discovery - June 2016
Tui Discovery - October 2016
Tui Discovery - December 2016
Thomson Celebration - March 2017
Tui Discovery 2 - May 2017
#14
Sheffield
115 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
The Dream was the same last week, no sunbeds at all on the day at sea, occasionally the rest of the week you could find a couple together but I thought there was a 45 minute rule that the towels would get removed if you didn't return I didn't see any of this.....very frustrating, I saw one woman remove someones belongings and they returned, it was quite amusing watching the fracas!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#15
Scotland
274 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Julessmiles
I would just love to scoop up all their belongings and throw them in the pool & suffer no consequences from the result of my actions....lol
On what cruise should we meet...I will help
Dark Glasses are on lol
#16
2,784 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Wddeni
On what cruise should we meet...I will help
Dark Glasses are on lol
LOL! I think we are going on the same cruise next year Wddeni but you are going earlier in the season.... Shame - we would have made a good team! Good to see you booked the Imperial; from what my parents said, you won't be disapointed. (Which cruise itinerary are you doing?)
#17
Scotland
341 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by geomagot
Its a problem, not just on Thomsons, there simply aren't enough beds to go around, we can never find a sunbed on the sea day! we tend to get a drink and lean on the rail instead hopefully waiting just in case one will become vacant (never happens) actually, its quite pleasant to gaze out to sea watch the birds, the flying fish, sometimes dolphins, however we often get complaints from people on the sunbeds that we are blocking their view! My Word! What can you Do? You cant get a sunbed and you’re not allowed to stand up either!! I once spent and hour sitting on an upturned bucket behind the pool bar!!

cant sit in the poolside bar either all the tables are occupied by people reading books one chair for them and another for their feet!
Surely if you needed a chair which was occupied by someone's feet, you could have politely asked them to move their feet as you wanted the chair?
#19
Irvine
107 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Very annoying - totally agree! This year we were on Celebration - four of us. There was a group (of older people I may add - its not always the youngsters(!)) that reserved the sunbeds in front of the stage at the pool, beggared off for most of the day and came back, generally most of them didnt even lie down, rather removed their stuff and went off! I was really annoyed - four of shared one sunbed that day - and I was sorely tempted to removed their stuff! One day we were at the adult pool, went for breakfast, came back, and we had a ticket "reminding" us about reserving sunbeds - we were only away for just over 1/2 hour!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature









#20
Figheldean
3,104 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by thebooler
you could have politely asked them to move their feet
That may be easy for you...I have physique like a twiglet..... I have to be careful what I ask for