Afternoon High Tea by Sweet P The Bermuda Perfumery, Stewart Hall, Queen Street, Town

irisheileen

We had a lovely afternoon tea last week at Sweet P's. My sister and I had made a reservation for 3 p.m. on Wednesday, but at 1 p.m. we realized we were hungry and in the neighborhood so we just dropped in. The lovely woman who runs the place managed to fit us in (it's a very small place, and most or all of the seating is outside in the garden).

We had a choice of teas and a gorgeous three-tiered tray of petits fours and crustless sandwiches, followed (because they are baked to order as guests are expected) by delicious scones. Everything, in fact, is beautiful and delicious. There is no clotted cream (apparently they can't get it) but there was another creamy topping.

A friendly black cat showed up to keep us company while we ate. All in all it was a great experience. One note of warning: Don't have lunch and then expect to use this as an afternoon snack. It's VERY filling -- and we didn't eat everything we were offered because we were stuffed.

The Bermuda Perfumery is just a block or two up a slight hill from the main street of St. George's. It's very easy to find.

Thanks for the report on your recent experience at Sweet P's. I am very excited to try as I have never had an afternoon tea experience. We are planning to do this after exploring St George in the morning/early afternoon. We will eat breakfast on the Summit, so we should surely be hungry when it is time for tea. I can't wait!

Just wanted to warn that the tea service at Sweet P has gone downhill. I took my parents last September, after a great experience the year prior, but it seems like it is run by different people now. We waited around in the Perfumery without any acknowledgement whatsoever from the Sweet P server/hostess as she rushed between the room (tea was served indoors that day) and the kitchen area. She seemed very stressed out and almost annoyed that they had more customers showing up!

Once we were seated, we had to request everything - sweeteners for the tea, refills on tea, she even failed to give us the jam/honey that comes with the scones that all the other guests received! The whole attitude was that she was too busy to be bothered and the guests were annoyances that she had to put up with. I was really embarassed that I took my parents there, even though they liked the food. I would NOT recommend this tea to anyone any longer due to the extremely poor service, which is very unfortunate.

• 3 months later...

HAs anyone done this over the summer?

How was the service?

Food?

We are not going to Bermuda until April but it is our anniversary cruise and I would like to do afternoon Tea.

IF this has recent good reports we will go to Tobacco bay in the morning then head here for tea and a tour of the perfumery. If not then we will go to the Fairmont for tea.

We go to the Fairmont Chateau Laurier for tea on special occasions and that was actually where I hosted my bridal shower.

Trying to decide which place to go. Fairmont is not serving tea currently due to renovations but it re-opens April first. We will be there end of April so it may be a nice option in a newly renovated room.

However, I also like the idea of going to tobacco bay for the morning then since we are in the area going for tea at Sweet P's

Any recent experiences at Sweet Ps would be most appreciated. Fairmont is consistent so I am not concerned about the quality or service there.

Thank you

• 3 years later...

FYI: My husband, two kids, and in-laws cruised to Bermuda August 2017. Weeks before we went I made a reservation at Sweet P for all of us for high tea on the Wednesday we would be in Bermuda at 3:00. I spoke to the woman who owns Sweet P, we confirmed, and agreed that since our calls to each other were long distance (international) that there was no need to re-confirm, we were set for that date. The day we had tea reserved was an extremely hot day and it would have made sense to make that day a beach day and enjoy Historic St. George the next day. But we had a reservation so we went to St. George. It was so hot we ended up finding a beach and swimming a bit. We cut our beach time short to get changed and ready for high tea. When we arrived at the Perfumery, the woman who runs Sweet P was not there, and the women at the perfumery had no idea that she had booked a reservation for that day. The women at the perfumery did not call the owner of Sweet P while we were there, nor did she offer to. She offered us some free perfume samples and apologized. We were obviously very frustrated, and my daughter was actually in tears. It has been a few weeks and I still have not heard one word from the owner of Sweet P. I am highly disappointed and will not recommend this experience.