Frustrated with Norwegian

Sov1

We sailed on the Norwegian Spirit on March 11 out of New Orleans. We had a fantastic week. It was our second cruise on Norwegian and everything lived up to our expectations, both for my wife and I, and our 3 kids. The Spirit is a beautiful ship and the staff was as friendly as we remember from the first cruise. We had a great Cruise Critic get together and slot pull.

Unfortunately my son left his phone at Maya Chan resort in Costa Maya. We contacted the staff at MC after we got off the ship and asked them to ship the phone to us and that we would pay the shipping cost via Paypal. David responded and informed me that they had given the phone to another passenger from the ship. He contacted that passenger and found that they had turned the phone in to lost and found on the ship.

I have contacted Norwegian several times about this and are not getting anything but the runaround. At first they said they needed to contact the ship and then they would call us. After a week with no call I called again and they said they had no record of anyone contacting the ship and they would try again. We again did not hear from them for over a week and called. This time they said they could not find the phone and needed the name of the person that turned the phone in. We contacted that person and she called in. We then called again and they said they could not locate the phone because there were many places where it could have been turned in and they were not sure which one. I contacted the woman that turned the phone in and she told us which desk she took it to.

I just called in again and told the rep which desk the phone was turned in at and the rep immediately said that the ship did not have the phone. Now she wants to know the name of the person that the phone was turned in to.

I really get the impression that no one wants to take the time to actually look for the phone and that it is easier to brush us off.

To be clear, I don't hate Norwegian now, and I will likely cruise with Norwegian again. I do wish that Maya Chan had held on to the phone and not sent it with a stranger. I know that they had the best intentions, but I would have rather paid the shipping cost from Costa Maya, than go through all this.

In the end, this is my son's responsibility. By not verifying he had his phone with him when we left, he created this situation. If, at the end of all this, we don't get the phone back he will have to purchase another phone.

I really hope that Norwegian can step up and actually make an effort to locate the phone.

Oh, and we took about 2000 pictures on the trip and I want to post some with a review but I was waiting until the resolution to this issue.

Oh, and we took about 2000 pictures on the trip and I want to post some with a review but I was waiting until the resolution to this issue.

Just a simple question. No review until there is a resolution to this situation? But, in the mean time NCL is the bad guy and the stranger that "turned" in the phone is absolutely trustworthy. I have had a few issues with lost and found after leaving a cruise and have always had success in recovering my belongings.

Good luck is resolving what really happened here.

John

Your son was irresponsible and lost his cell phone. Happens all the time. Put the blame where it belongs, ON HIM.

Based on the fact you supposedly know the person that turned the phone in from your posting. If the person who was given the phone knew you why would they turn it in to Lost and Found?

This whole story doesn't make sense.

Just a simple question. No review until there is a resolution to this situation? But, in the mean time NCL is the bad guy and the stranger that "turned" in the phone is absolutely trustworthy. I have had a few issues with lost and found after leaving a cruise and have always had success in recovering my belongings.

Good luck is resolving what really happened here.

John

Of course it is entirely possible that the phone was never turned in. There just has been too many inconsistencies in what Norwegian is telling us for us to feel that they are really trying to help with this. As I stated in my post, I recognize we may not get the phone back in the end, I just want to see some indication of effort.

Your son was irresponsible and lost his cell phone. Happens all the time. Put the blame where it belongs, ON HIM.

Based on the fact you supposedly know the person that turned the phone in from your posting. If the person who was given the phone knew you why would they turn it in to Lost and Found?

This whole story doesn't make sense.

You need to read the whole post before you comment. I DID place the blame on my son.

I did not know the person who was given the phone by Maya Chan.

I would be frustrated too. I think you would have a much less of a chance to get the phone back asking someone to mail it to another country. There would be no gurantee they would do this and could take your money and have no obligation to mail it to you. It would be a surprise if it worked out that way.

Not only was it good intentions but the best route to get the phone back to you, by getting it back on the ship and the USA. But there is no proof or gurantee they did this. Even in the USA, if an expenisve phone is lost it is not usual to get back (Hey I live in Miami). It would be less likely in a resort town. Perhaps you were misled by someone at the resort? It seems you are taking their word over the cruise line?

I live in Miami and if you leave your phone in a restaurant or club or gym, consider it lost forever. If you do get the phone back from another country and the ship finds it, please let us know, it would be a miracle.

I wont be as harsh as the previous poster but blame is not on NCL at all. You are going on the assumtion that some unknow person in a resort town gave it to some passenger?

Of course it is entirely possible that the phone was never turned in. There just has been too many inconsistencies in what Norwegian is telling us for us to feel that they are really trying to help with this. As I stated in my post, I recognize we may not get the phone back in the end, I just want to see some indication of effort.

How can you be certain they haven't made any effort?

Your son lost the phone, you have your son and in good health,be done with the issue and move on and chop it up to irresponsibility. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill and you really cant prove who is at blame therefore stop pointing the finger

Was it the lost and found on the ship it was turned into? Here's an expensive idea - might be cheaper to buy a new phone - but you could make a shore to ship call and ask to speak to the front desk, so you would actually be speaking to a person who had access to the lost and found instead of going through an intermediary.

You need to read the whole post before you comment. I DID place the blame on my son.

I did not know the person who was given the phone by Maya Chan.

My comment was on the TITLE of your tread, You do rather lamely blame your son, but the whole post was about how NCL should have gotten your phone to you. I read your whole post, and my commet though it must offend you was factual.

You claim now you didn't know who turned the phone in but your original post says;

' This time they said they could not find the phone and needed the name of the person that turned the phone in. We contacted that person and she called in. We then called again and they said they could not locate the phone because there were many places where it could have been turned in and they were not sure which one. I contacted the woman that turned the phone in and she told us which desk she took it to. '

That tends to imply you know the person who turned in the phone, or did you just make this part up?

My comment was on the TITLE of your tread, You do rather lamely blame your son, but the whole post was about how NCL should have gotten your phone to you. I read your whole post, and my commet though it must offend you was factual.

You claim now you didn't know who turned the phone in but your original post says;

' This time they said they could not find the phone and needed the name of the person that turned the phone in. We contacted that person and she called in. We then called again and they said they could not locate the phone because there were many places where it could have been turned in and they were not sure which one. I contacted the woman that turned the phone in and she told us which desk she took it to. '

That tends to imply you know the person who turned in the phone, or did you just make this part up?

We were provided the name and email of the person by Maya Chan.

As much as I am an avid NCL fan, I have to admit when there are faults in their procedures. Customer Service is great once you get onboard any of the ships in their fleet. However, from the phone aspect, Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, if you need something followed through correctly with little problems, you need to put something in writing. You can either email, fax or mail a letter. This is the best way to get promising resolution to a matter. All of the contact information is provided on NCL.com. Best of Luck!

Well that is annoying. Why would they say there are too many places it could have been turned in? Wouldn't everybody take it to Guest Relations? I would imagine by this time it is long gone, did you try calling it by the way?

I was just sitting here looking at my phone trying to figure out if there is any way somebody could get the phone back to me if I lost it. My phone contacts list "Home" but that wouldn't do any good if I'm on the ship. DH has a password on his phone so nobody would even be able to get to that. (which annoys the heck out of me, how would they get his ICE number?) I guess for the duration of the cruise I could put a sticker with the cabin number on the back. Any other suggestions?

As much as I am an avid NCL fan, I have to admit when there are faults in their procedures. Customer Service is great once you get onboard any of the ships in their fleet. However, from the phone aspect, Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, if you need something followed through correctly with little problems, you need to put something in writing. You can either email, fax or mail a letter. This is the best way to get promising resolution to a matter. All of the contact information is provided on NCL.com. Best of Luck!

Thank you! This is great advice and I am going to follow up by email right now.

Well that is annoying. Why would they say there are too many places it could have been turned in? Wouldn't everybody take it to Guest Relations? I would imagine by this time it is long gone, did you try calling it by the way?

I was just sitting here looking at my phone trying to figure out if there is any way somebody could get the phone back to me if I lost it. My phone contacts list "Home" but that wouldn't do any good if I'm on the ship. DH has a password on his phone so nobody would even be able to get to that. (which annoys the heck out of me, how would they get his ICE number?) I guess for the duration of the cruise I could put a sticker with the cabin number on the back. Any other suggestions?

We did trying calling it early on and it went straight to voicemail. We also contacted Verizon and there has been no activity on the phone since the beginning of the cruise.

I think a sticker with the cabin number on the back is great idea!

Thank you! This is great advice and I am going to follow up by email right now.

You are very welcome! If there is resolution to be made, this is the right avenue to pursue. By they way, don't beat up on your son too bad, after all he is only a kid and he was on vacation. I have a teenage son and I could see this happening. I am sure he is already upset as they are lost without their cell phones. :D

Sov1, As a parent of four kids I truly empathize with the lost cell phone situation. I think your post was extremely reasonable and you clearly indicated that in the end your son will have to replace the phone if it is not found. Also, having corresponded with Maya Chan over an issue--not the same--but similar--they are a very fair and trustworthy operation. The implication in the previous posts about them being unknown foreign people who kept your phone etc. etc. etc. is not--as you yourself have indicated--likely. They are a small family operation and answer your calls and emails directly and just as they explained--I'm sure they felt the best option was to send the phone with another passenger. You are probably going to have to just reconcile yourself to the fact that the phone just got lost in the shuffle. Given that that seems to be the case I don't udnerstnad why NCL doesn't jsut say "We are very sorry. We try to handle our lost and found well, but due to the size of the ship and the many items we handle, sometimes things such as cell phones simply get lost." Then you could at least just give it up. But I totally agree with your frustration--you keep getting the run around. And it is highly likely that the phone will not be found. Glad you had a good time!! Isn't Maya Chan fabulous--one of my favorite places that I have ever been!! Sorry there is often such harsh judgment on these boards. :rolleyes: And my best to your son who will have to buy a new phone (my daughter's issue seems to be that they slide out of her jeans pocket and into the toilet!! LOL--always good lessons to be learned. That said, I'm sure your son was having a great time at Maya Chan and simply forgot.) These things happen. You have a great attitude not to let it ruin your cruise or to blame the cruise line. I totally get that your frustration is with the poor customer service/giving you the run around. Can't wait for your review--love to read reviews from families!! :)

Try to remember that NCL has a call center just like any local utility or credit card company and the chances that you talked to the same person each time is slim to none. You need to make sure you record the date, the name of the person you talked to and what they told you they would do. Then if you don't hear back from them, call again, ask for the same person or tell the person what has already occurred.

As for the phone itself? It IS your son's problem, not yours. Let this be a lesson to him. I would make sure the phone has been turned off so you don't incur excess charges or you may have an even bigger problem on your hands; his cell phone bill.

When we were on the ship 3 years ago, my husband left a dress shoe behind by accident. It was turned in by our room steward to the concierge who made every effort to get our address and within a couple of weeks, my husband had the "mate" to his shoe. We were very impressed that they cared enough to try to track us down. NCL didn't even ask for the cost of shipping to be reimbursed and it was clearly my husband's fault. A shoe!

I would chalk this up to a major learning experience for you and your son. But to blame NCL is wrong. They did nothing wrong here.

Sov1, As a parent of four kids I truly empathize with the lost cell phone situation. I think your post was extremely reasonable and you clearly indicated that in the end your son will have to replace the phone if it is not found. Also, having corresponded with Maya Chan over an issue--not the same--but similar--they are a very fair and trustworthy operation. The implication in the previous posts about them being unknown foreign people who kept your phone etc. etc. etc. is not--as you yourself have indicated--likely. They are a small family operation and answer your calls and emails directly and just as they explained--I'm sure they felt the best option was to send the phone with another passenger. You are probably going to have to just reconcile yourself to the fact that the phone just got lost in the shuffle. Given that that seems to be the case I don't udnerstnad why NCL doesn't jsut say "We are very sorry. We try to handle our lost and found well, but due to the size of the ship and the many items we handle, sometimes things such as cell phones simply get lost." Then you could at least just give it up. But I totally agree with your frustration--you keep getting the run around. And it is highly likely that the phone will not be found. Glad you had a good time!! Isn't Maya Chan fabulous--one of my favorite places that I have ever been!! Sorry there is often such harsh judgment on these boards. :rolleyes: And my best to your son who will have to buy a new phone (my daughter's issue seems to be that they slide out of her jeans pocket and into the toilet!! LOL--always good lessons to be learned. That said, I'm sure your son was having a great time at Maya Chan and simply forgot.) These things happen. You have a great attitude not to let it ruin your cruise or to blame the cruise line. I totally get that your frustration is with the poor customer service/giving you the run around. Can't wait for your review--love to read reviews from families!! :)

Hi Yoyo,

Yes, Maya Chan is fantastic! We had an amazing day there. The staff was great as were the food and drinks.

My wife has had the out of the jeans pocket into the toilet thing a couple of times also. I finally bought her a pouch that she really likes.

Thanks for your kind words. It's funny to me that people react so harshly when I didn't say that Norwegian is terrible or anything like that, just that I would like to get a clear answer about this situation.

We sailed on the Norwegian Spirit on March 11 out of New Orleans. We had a fantastic week. It was our second cruise on Norwegian and everything lived up to our expectations, both for my wife and I, and our 3 kids. The Spirit is a beautiful ship and the staff was as friendly as we remember from the first cruise. We had a great Cruise Critic get together and slot pull.

Unfortunately my son left his phone at Maya Chan resort in Costa Maya. We contacted the staff at MC after we got off the ship and asked them to ship the phone to us and that we would pay the shipping cost via Paypal. David responded and informed me that they had given the phone to another passenger from the ship. He contacted that passenger and found that they had turned the phone in to lost and found on the ship.

I have contacted Norwegian several times about this and are not getting anything but the runaround. At first they said they needed to contact the ship and then they would call us. After a week with no call I called again and they said they had no record of anyone contacting the ship and they would try again. We again did not hear from them for over a week and called. This time they said they could not find the phone and needed the name of the person that turned the phone in. We contacted that person and she called in. We then called again and they said they could not locate the phone because there were many places where it could have been turned in and they were not sure which one. I contacted the woman that turned the phone in and she told us which desk she took it to.

I just called in again and told the rep which desk the phone was turned in at and the rep immediately said that the ship did not have the phone. Now she wants to know the name of the person that the phone was turned in to.

I really get the impression that no one wants to take the time to actually look for the phone and that it is easier to brush us off.

To be clear, I don't hate Norwegian now, and I will likely cruise with Norwegian again. I do wish that Maya Chan had held on to the phone and not sent it with a stranger. I know that they had the best intentions, but I would have rather paid the shipping cost from Costa Maya, than go through all this.

In the end, this is my son's responsibility. By not verifying he had his phone with him when we left, he created this situation. If, at the end of all this, we don't get the phone back he will have to purchase another phone.

I really hope that Norwegian can step up and actually make an effort to locate the phone.

Another suggestion - go to the roll call boards and ask if someone on one of the upcoming sailings will go to lost and found on the ship on your behalf to see if it is there and then they can let you know. Or maybe they would be willing to speak to the director of guest relations about your situation to try to get a resolution. Good luck.

OP, stinks about your son losing his cell phone!

On our return taxi from Maya Chan on our Spirit cruise, our driver asked if we would mind him meeting up with another taxi to return a forgotten billfold. We of course didn't mind at all! The owner of the billfold was extremely grateful to see our driver and refused their refusal of thank you money. *laughing*

Maya Chan itself was wonderful (best part of that cruise, if you ask me), and they handled my family's food allergies (peanut and shellfish) very well.

so much trouble for a cell phone. did he / you have insurance? right it off cancel it and get another phone. chances are you have an old one laying around. if not buy a used one from ebay. this headache would not be worth my time.

good luck-

Archived