Tobacco Bay Beach? How is it and how do I get there/find it?

JandKMom

It is walkable if you are in shape. :D You will need to walk up a large hill and then down to the beach, cabs are also available. When returning walk the opposite way for beautiful views of pocketbook size beaches, Forth St. Catherine and ruins of a old forth at "The Cut".

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/09/26/bumming-around-bermuda-walking-from-st-georges-to-tobacco-bay/

Edited by caribsun

It's very walkable once you get off the ferry. We asked for directions at the visitor's center. I just posted a photo review (from my cruise 2 weeks ago) with pictures along the walk. See link in my signature below for details.

Thank you Heather - I have been enjoying your photos!

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed! They told us at the visitor center it was something like $3 per person for a taxi (each way) but it was such a nice day (weather wise) we decided to walk. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I personally did not like tobacco bay. You have to get past all the "stuff" at the waters edge to get to the "good" water. I would go to Horseshoe bay instead. There is a little cove off to the right where little ones can swim. Very family friendly. just my opinion.

I personally did not like tobacco bay. You have to get past all the "stuff" at the waters edge to get to the "good" water. I would go to Horseshoe bay instead. There is a little cove off to the right where little ones can swim. Very family friendly. just my opinion.

Thank you. We are planning on going to Horseshoe Bay, but we want to see St. George's so I figured we would visit Tobacco Bay as long as we are there.

Thank you. We are planning on going to Horseshoe Bay, but we want to see St. George's so I figured we would visit Tobacco Bay as long as we are there.

I love Tobacco Bay...every year we go to St. George's...there are some of my favorite shops there and a couple of restaurants we eat lunch at...then we walk to Tobacco Bay and swim for a bit and continue walking to Blackbeard's Tavern and have a drink and then walk back to St.George's..... One of my favorite days that I look forward to every year..:D

We took the ferry to st George, there were 9 of us and we didn't want to walk, so we took the $3 per person bus to get to tobacco bay, we told the driver what time we wanted to leave and he came back to get us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A nice walk with some scenic views. We enjoyed Tobacco Bay and the kids got to snorkel and see some fish...it's a nice small beach. Be sure to walk down to Fort St. Catherine (about 5 mins), a larger beach there next to the Fort. When we got there, we were practically the only ones on that beach and the water was so calm and clear...loved it! I think most people stop at Tobacco and don't make it down to St. Catherine...something to consider. I'm glad we took the walk! :)

I love Tobacco Bay...every year we go to St. George's...there are some of my favorite shops there and a couple of restaurants we eat lunch at...then we walk to Tobacco Bay and swim for a bit and continue walking to Blackbeard's Tavern and have a drink and then walk back to St.George's..... One of my favorite days that I look forward to every year..:D

Please share where to stop for lunch. aAso Black beard's Tavern, we are traveling with teen, can we still stop in?

Please share where to stop for lunch. aAso Black beard's Tavern, we are traveling with teen, can we still stop in?

I've never eaten at Blackbeard's Tavern..we just had drinks..we have eaten at Wahoo's..which is good...when we had drinks at Blackbeard's Tavern the food looked good..yes your teen can go in both...there are regular dining rooms..have fun.... Blackbeard's Tavern is actually reviewed very high...

Edited by jdarch

We took the ferry to st George, there were 9 of us and we didn't want to walk, so we took the $3 per person bus to get to tobacco bay, we told the driver what time we wanted to leave and he came back to get us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What does the $3 bus look like? Is it a minibus or a van? Do you know how much the taxi's are to Tobacco Bay if the bus isn't around? We'll have at least 7 of us maybe more.

Edited by peg013

Peg, I would call it a van. Sometimes it seems to take awhile for it to make the loop so a taxi will be quicker. It was under $10 with tip so ended up being cheaper than $3 pp. However, taxi fares have gone up so if it's more, it may be worth it to make the most of your time. There were also some "wildcatters" who would take you for a fixed rate.

Not sure what one poster meant by getting by all the stuff to get to the good water. They must have been there after a storm. None of my pictures have any stuff.:)

Edited by iheartbda

Peg, I would call it a van. Sometimes it seems to take awhile for it to make the loop so a taxi will be quicker. It was under $10 with tip so ended up being cheaper than $3 pp. However, taxi fares have gone up so if it's more, it may be worth it to make the most of your time. There were also some "wildcatters" who would take you for a fixed rate.

Not sure what one poster meant by getting by all the stuff to get to the good water. They must have been there after a storm. None of my pictures have any stuff.:)

Maybe they crawled in over the rocks instead of using the beach entrance?

• 4 weeks later...
It is walkable if you are in shape. :D You will need to walk up a large hill and then down to the beach, cabs are also available. When returning walk the opposite way for beautiful views of pocketbook size beaches, Forth St. Catherine and ruins of a old forth at "The Cut".

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/09/26/bumming-around-bermuda-walking-from-st-georges-to-tobacco-bay/

CaribSun.....I really enjoyed your post about the walk to Tobacco Bay! Your directions have been printed out and ready to be put to use. We are cruising there on July 18 and are looking forward to our adventure! I did have one question....are there places to eat near tobacco bay? Do you know if they take credit cards and cash??

Thank you.

Nancy

It is totally walkable. You get to see the houses that the people live in and the flora is gorgeous. It was by far way better than Horseshoe Bay. We are snorkelers and were so excited about all the rocks and fish. Horseshoe is for people who like to sit on the beach and swim. Tobacco Bay has an area that is for swimming with nice sandy bottom but it's not as big as Horseshoe. I can't wait to go back to Bermuda and Tobacco Bay.

It is totally walkable. You get to see the houses that the people live in and the flora is gorgeous. It was by far way better than Horseshoe Bay. We are snorkelers and were so excited about all the rocks and fish. Horseshoe is for people who like to sit on the beach and swim. Tobacco Bay has an area that is for swimming with nice sandy bottom but it's not as big as Horseshoe. I can't wait to go back to Bermuda and Tobacco Bay.

We will be cruising to Bermuda on July 18 and looking forward to our trip. Tobacco Bay will be our first time. Looks beautiful from all the posts I've read/seen. The walk looks totally walkable and quite beautiful as well. 14 minutes I can easily do!! :)

First I have to say that I really really love Bermuda and it's beaches...

BUT, I do not want to be the one with the bad news....

Tobacco Bay is not the same ( per reports from cruisers in the past couple of weeks ), it now hosts a beach toy rental company.

It is not the place to rent those flying boards and other stuff....

It is not the calm beach it once was...

I suggest reading a few reports from cruisers who were there in the last couple of weeks before making Tobacco Bay your destination for the day :(

Bermuda is Bermuda and I am sure you will have a fantastic time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was there on June 24th of this year. That is less than a week ago. It does rent several items such as snorkel gear and those boards you lay on and look through the glass if you don't want to get in the water to see the fish. There is a bar with a really nice deck area. They also rent tables and chairs. The bathrooms were really clean.

I didn't see any problems other than the fact it rained the day we were there but we were wet from swimming and had an awesome time.

The problem is not with the rental of snorkelling gear or boards with the glass on them, it's with the fly boarding activities.

Maybe they are not available everyday ?

Or they are, but with the high prices they are not in use everyday ?

...most wishes they would not be in use at all :(

Glad you had a good day at the beach even if the weather wasn't on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app