Ft. Lauderdale Hotel Recommendation?

MillyMommy

We just stayed at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina on Dec. 5th and would never stay again.

They charged us for water which we did not use (it was not on the final bill statement and showed up as a separate charge on our credit card) and refuse to answer the phone in the accounting department or respond to voice messages so we can request it be credited back to our credit card.

We got a Marina Hotel package rate that included shuttle tickets to the port (this is from a 3rd party shuttle service) and despite the Island Princess being delayed a day (which they admit to knowing) and us not going to the port they refuse to refund the money. They were not able to accommodate us a second night so there was not an option to use the tickets at a later date even if they would allow that.

The breakfast had an omelet station and we have never had a burnt omelet until they made one. We have had better breakfast at a lesser priced hotel for free.

We had a confirmed King room but they gave us a room with 2 double beds. When we got to the room we called down and they said they did not have any King rooms.

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites but we booked the cruise at the last minute and they were full. That would be our hotel of choice, none are cheap and most charge for the shuttle, so advise you do not wait to book if that is where you want to stay as they book up fast when cruise ships are leaving.

I would call Hilton's Customer Care line and tell them about the water charge and other issues. If the water charge is worth the call. I bet Hilton HQ will contact the hotel and give them "what for" and you will be compensated. I'd go after the shuttle issue as well.

(PS - I would never ever use a shuttle, however).

Edited by steelers36

I would call Marriott's Customer Care line and tell them about the water charge and other issues. If the water charge is worth the call. I bet Marriott HQ will contact the hotel and give them "what for" and you will be compensated. I'd go after the shuttle issue as well.

(PS - I would never ever use a shuttle, however).

Why call Marriott when you’re staying at a Hilton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one mentioned the Holiday Inn Express along 17th. My understanding is they have done some renovations this year. I will be indicating prices as $Base/$Total, meaning the first figure is the base room price and the second figure is with taxes and service charges (bottom line). These are rounded numbers.

As others have indicated, the hotels in the area are priced according to season. Booking well in advance makes a big difference. For example, I had a booking at the HI Express made last January at $171/$191 for government rate. Today, that pricing is $195/$216.5. And no Kings for that rate today. Senior rate is $198.5/$220 now and advance purchase (no refund) is $209/$232.

I am not keeping the Holiday Inn. I would have cancelled it earlier, but once the hurricanes came, I wanted to have a back-up, but there is no issue in the area.

My favorite is Crowne Plaza on 84th Street. I get that 17th Street strip is very convenient, and more services and restaurants exist now than several years ago. I am also a Total Wine customer for each cruise.

But, those 17th Street hotels are a lot more expensive, except the mentioned HI Express.

I booked a King at the Crowne Plaza last March for this coming January at $171/$190 (Senior Discount). Today, that same room is $244/$271 with the discount, so booking well ahead saves. I did see our rate at times after March (never saw it for less), but then rates go up. Advance Purchase rate is $229/$254, so if booking close to cruise and know you are going for sure, can use that option.

Why the Crowne Plaza? When we first booked there it was brand new. It has been in very good condition, with modern decor ever since (last time we were there was 2014 I guess), and the reviews are still mostly very good. Breakfast is not included, but they have a nice small sit-down restaurant with plenty of satisfying breakfast choices. The hotel is on 84th St at US 1 and it is a straight shot into Port Everglades via probably the least used entrance. Never much of a delay, if any at all.

I like to have a car when we fly in so we can go out to dinner, do any shopping (including wine) and I can always get a great rate from Hertz and they have a small location right in the hotel (I book one-way rental from FLL to Crowne Plaza location). So we drop the car into Hertz parking in the evening and the next morning we use the free shuttle to the ship. I would never use the general hotel shuttles to the Port as you never know when they are coming and how many stops, etc, and when I want to go to the ship, I want to be there in 5 minutes. Hertz goes back and forth to the ships, bringing in customers who are picking up cars and also dropping off. Everytime, the driver has taken us right to Princess (we go early and have typically been the only ones in the van, along with our friends). I love that convenience and having flexibility of wheels. My total cost, hotel plus rental car, is typically LESS than just the hotel on 17th Street (like Embassy Suites or Renaissance).

It is short drive to Total Wine and grocery store, and we have more choices of restaurants as it is a short trip up to Los Olas or elsewhere.

Edited by steelers36

I would not recommend planing on walking to the port terminal especially if youe ship isn’t at terminal #2. Earlier this month when boarding the Royal it was docked at pier #21 which is about a mile from the security entrance nearest pier #2 and the route isn’t one you would want to walk with luggage.

Just my honest opinion and advice.

Chris

There are many recommendations over on the Florida board, under Ports of Call.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You have gotten many responses already (some of which have drifted off-topic) but at the risk of redundancy I will also point out that this topic is discussed in depth every day on the Florida Departures board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You both realize that this IS the Florida departures board, right? While your info is helpful it hurts your credibility when you tell people to post where they are already posting.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves on these boards. People are too quick to offer "help", without paying attention.

Looking for a recommendation of a moderately priced hotel in F.L. with shuttle service to the Princess cruise terminal. We are flying in, so we don't need car parking. Thank you!

Have you tried Hyatt Place 17th/Convention Center thru Valutrips? They are close to Terminal 2 (for Princess) and shops. Close to the Embassy Suites (and Total Wine :D). Great price if they have rooms available.

Good luck

ML

You both realize that this IS the Florida departures board, right? While your info is helpful it hurts your credibility when you tell people to post where they are already posting.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves on these boards. People are too quick to offer "help", without paying attention.

What you should have very easily deduced from reading the opening post (as well as the intervening off-topic discussion about walking specifically to Terminal 2) is that this thread was initially started on the Princess board but properly relocated here by one of our hosts. Which happens regularly enough so that someone who visits these boards often enough to have amassed a list of pet peeves loses their own credibility through their knee-jerk criticism of others' responses. (As well as rendering their screen name ridiculous).

I would add that the cost to just take a taxi to the port or use Uber or Lyft is very reasonable so I wouldn't worry about finding a place that includes or changes for a shuttle.

I think the Embassy Suites works out well in terms of the hotel, its location and also it includes a nice breakfast and complimentary beverages in the late afternoon.

Keith

Have you tried Hyatt Place 17th/Convention Center thru Valutrips? They are close to Terminal 2 (for Princess) and shops. Close to the Embassy Suites (and Total Wine :D). Great price if they have rooms available.

Good luck

ML

I also would recommend value trips to get the Hyatt 17th Street Convention. Walkable to restaurants and stores for any last minute items. Not sure the date of your stay, but I believe for March 2018 it's $219/night.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I would not recommend planing on walking to the port terminal especially if youe ship isn’t at terminal #2. Earlier this month when boarding the Royal it was docked at pier #21 which is about a mile from the security entrance nearest pier #2 and the route isn’t one you would want to walk with luggage.

Just my honest opinion and advice.

Chris

I agree that walking only works for terminal 2. You can pull the schedule for Port Everglades a month ahead of time.

I agree that walking only works for terminal 2. You can pull the schedule for Port Everglades a month ahead of time.

The official Port Everglades ship schedule is only available one week in advance of arrival/departure. It can be accessed through the Port Everglades website (http://www.porteverglades.net) or directly at https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/.

Just my 2 cents and don’t take offense but why would someone who most likely paid thousands for a cruise want to schlepp their luggage to the port when a Uber or Taxi costs $10? JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would people go to the gym to exercise and then use the elevator most of the time on the ship?

We go every year and stay at a hotel on the beach down about a 25 dollar cab ride from the port. Because we stay at the same place and for several days before and after they give us a loyalty rate. This year we are staying on Hollywood beach before just for a change and at our usual place the week after. The hotels close to the port used to be so cheap but in the last ten years they have gone up three fold. Also, March is expensive too