I was cruising when...

kangaand2roos

Cruised when:

The Royal wedding

Hurricane Katrina hit

Bin Ladan found

Left NYC in a hurricane (don't remember the name)skipped Boston going to NE and Canada

Super Bowl when Giants won

Returned from a Cruise after Hurricane Sandy no electric in terminal NYC

Cruised when Explorer of the Sea hit something leaving Samana

Cruised Explorer when the ship arrived one day late to port (needed to bring a very sick passenger back to PR for medical attention

John Ritter my favorite actor died

So I agree we are kinda connected onboard a cruise ship.

Not cruising but on vacation in Las Vegas at 9/11 Very strange to see LasVegas Blvd empty and sad to see all the Memorials people put in front of the New York New York hotel. Frightening not knowing when we would get home to metro NY.

Hi Etski

I was also in Las Vegas on 9/11. Was stuck there for a while without a way home. And for a man that does not drink or gamble it was a long week. I will never forget that Day.

Edited by jasper2012

• 1 month later...

I was cruising on a Carnival ship when the fire happened on the Royal Caribbean ship out of Baltimore happened. I had posted on Facebook to remind my family and coworkers that I was safe and not on that ship. However, when I got back to work my coworkers did inform me that when they herd it on the news they were worried I was on that ship. Luckily someone said check her Facebook.

Very 1st cruise I disembark from and it happen the morning NCL Breakaway hit the poor whale!! If I had known, I would had took of picture of Breakaway while walking down the street going to the 42nd Street - Time Square train station....

was on a navy "cruise" and my helo squadron medevaced a girl off a princess ship due to an appendix that was going to burst (interesting fact, my aunt was on the princess ship at the time lol).

was on another navy "cruise" when michael jackson died. that was the ONLY thing on TV for nearly a month...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In January 1998 we took the kids on a cruise on the Imagination. Back then there wasn't much on TV on the ships except for what they produced themselves. We were out of touch with the media for the week. Once we disembarked, we had to overnight in Miami before our flight home the next morning, and the kids, 16, 14 and 8, were very excited to get to watch "normal" TV in our hotel room. We turned it on and channel after channel after channel had nothing but the Monical Lewinsky scandal being reported! LOL My "poor" kids had to resort to going to the pool for entertainment.

Edited by Taters

My wife and I were in Las Vegas on Labor Day weekend 9/2001. The place was full of people from Southern California and things were really thriving to say the least. After 911 it was like someone turned out the lights. By May of 2002 we took our first cruise and will be looking forward to cruise number fourteen sometime this year. Even renewed our passports.

Tim

Our first cruise was in 2014. Neither one of us thought about it being Super Bowl weekend until a day or so before we left. We were hoping there might be a TV somewhere on the ship showing the game. Luckily, they staged a big SB party in the theater. Unluckily, Denver lost!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I was cruising during the final four of the world cup for soccer last year

We were cruising in Australia the day Barack Obama was first elected President. We had already (of course) voted absentee. It was so amazing to be away from America that day, as all of the passengers were talking about what a different USA we would be returning to in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had just embarked on Oceania’s Marina in June 2016 when the Brexit votes were being counted. We were in Copenhagen so were able to watch Sky News’ analysis of the votes as it unfolded. Fascinating!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are some of the big things that happened in the news while I was cruising:

The Iraq War started while I was cruising on the Carnival Legend from March 18-26, 2003. I remember watching the news when this happened. The French Fries at the Lido deck grill and possibly the entire ship were renamed Freedom Fries.

While I was on the Carnival Legend April 1-9, 2007 cruise, we learned on the news that the cruise ship Sea Diamond sank.

When I was on the Carnival Liberty November 21-25,2006 cruise, the previous voyage was in the news because nearly 700 people on the repo cruise from Citivecchia, Italy to Fort Lauderdale,Florida were affected by a Norovirus outbreak. Our cruise was also mentioned in the news because it was going to be reduced from a 6 day to a 4 day cruise with different ports of call so that they could disinfect the ship. The ship (especially the cabin hallways) reeked of Lysol and we couldn't serve ourselves at the buffet.

• 4 weeks later...

November 2000 -- on NCL, anytime dining -- one night, got placed with a couple from Germany (I think) -- only the husband spoke English, & his first question to us was about the election, & why we still didn't have a president-elect (Gore/Bush, Florida & the hanging chads....)