Tropical Cyclone Hola

I have cruise friends on the Sun Princess which we were going to meet in Tauranga for the day. They messaged me to say that Napier and Tauranga ports were cancelled due to Hola and that they were going through Cook Straight and up the west coast to arrive in Auckland and Tuesday as scheduled.

I think they are still going to hit some bad weather at the top of the Island we will have to wait and see if they are delayed arriving into Auckland. They were expecting to dock early Tuesday morning in Auckland.

I have cruise friends on the Sun Princess which we were going to meet in Tauranga for the day. They messaged me to say that Napier and Tauranga ports were cancelled due to Hola and that they were going through Cook Straight and up the west coast to arrive in Auckland and Tuesday as scheduled.

I think they are still going to hit some bad weather at the top of the Island we will have to wait and see if they are delayed arriving into Auckland. They were expecting to dock early Tuesday morning in Auckland.

They might be OK . Auckland schedule was showing 9am arrival, now changed to 7.30 .

There is another tropical storm brewing in the Coral Sea which has a good chance of developing into a Cat 1 or 2 cyclone, in which case it will be named Linda. It's predicted to near the SE Queensland coast on Wednesday or Thursday.

Here is where Sun Princess and Diamond Princess are at the moment (3:19pm QLD time) :

Sun Princess is at the tip of Cape Reinga and Diamond Princess is behind her.

marine_traffic_ais_12032018.jpg

The view from the Diamond Princess webcam:

diamond_bridge12032018.jpg

Sun Princess webcam is not updating :(

Tuesday morning update ....seas must still be rough out there as Sun , due in at 7.30, changed to 9.30, is running even later. Just went past us , and from here its a 1 1/2 to 2 hour sail in to Auckland so she should be arriving 11am . Diamond is behind her and looks like arriving after midday.

The customer service desks at the airport will be rather busy...:eek:

Yep, it is one of those hazards of travelling out on the same day as the ship debarks. Hopefully they have insurance to cover any out of pocket expenses for missing flights and or connections.

Thanks for the reports David and Stu, you do a great job. Geeze I wish ships would update their bridgecams, in fact all ships should have them, for our cruise withdrawal fix, we like to sea the big seas.:')

Thanks for the reports David and Stu, you do a great job. Geeze I wish ships would update their bridgecams, in fact all ships should have them, for our cruise withdrawal fix, we like to sea the big seas.:')
That is the very incentive to have them out of order. Now you have to cruise to get your fix instead of watching the ship cams.

Sun Princess left Wellington yesterday and was scheduled Napier, Tauranga, Auckland.

Marinetraffic shows now sailing via the west coast, destination still Auckland.

Sun Princess may not be having much luck on their return trip to NZ.

Scheduled for Sydney to Fiordland and now appears to be heading for Cook Strait.

High sea state due southwest of NZ tomorrow & Wednesday.

Sun Princess may not be having much luck on their return trip to NZ.

Scheduled for Sydney to Fiordland and now appears to be heading for Cook Strait.

High sea state due southwest of NZ tomorrow & Wednesday.

What a bummer for them.:(

That is the very incentive to have them out of order. Now you have to cruise to get your fix instead of watching the ship cams.

I believe the bridgecams are turned off in real bad weather, they don't want prospective newbies 'scared off.' Could be some truth in that.:loudcry: