O's Reading Room coming to all sailings

albingirl

I didn't read all of the posts about this subject, so I'm not sure if this was questioned. I don't usually buy books. I get them for my kindle from my library.' Do you think that someone actually has to purchase the book on board to attend the book club meeting ? '

And here is the other matter. Who is leading the book club? I have experienced many book clubs and if the leader is not a master of focusing the discussion, the conversation often goes to the personal experiences of the attendees. I often lead the meetings.

So, I thought to myself - hey, this would be a great way for me to get a free cruise - by leading the book clubs!

I like book club meetings, so I am not opposed to this idea, but I worry about the discussion becoming diluted and therefore boring and/or frustrating.

Bolding is mine.

You need to buy the book BEFORE you get on the ship from the way the HAL blog reads. (unless you are on an official O cruise).

BTW, I doubt anyone would get a free cruise for leading a book club. Pretty sure it will be a staff member leading this ;)

This book club idea sounds like a great fit for some people. I am not interested and I think I am in the majority, but it isn't going to affect me one way or the other. I am, however, dismayed that HAL chose to align with such a polarizing figure.

This book club idea sounds like a great fit for some people. I am not interested and I think I am in the majority, but it isn't going to affect me one way or the other. I am, however, dismayed that HAL chose to align with such a polarizing figure.

I feel the same way on all counts!

Yep! This! ☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(y)

Agreed. I cannot understand why HAL did this. They must feel it will feed profits somehow. Bad idea IMO.

It will just turn some people completely off. I read what I want, when I want without "O" or anyone else's suggestions or influence.

I didn't read all of the posts about this subject, so I'm not sure if this was questioned. I don't usually buy books. I get them for my kindle from my library. Do you think that someone actually has to purchase the book on board to attend the book club meeting?

And here is the other matter. Who is leading the book club? I have experienced many book clubs and if the leader is not a master of focusing the discussion, the conversation often goes to the personal experiences of the attendees. I often lead the meetings.

So, I thought to myself - hey, this would be a great way for me to get a free cruise - by leading the book clubs!

I like book club meetings, so I am not opposed to this idea, but I worry about the discussion becoming diluted and therefore boring and/or frustrating.

From HAL's Blog:

"On non-theme cruises, guests who are interested in participating in O’s Reading Room can bring “An American Marriage” on board. Book club discussions are led by a member of the ship’s staff, and selections change periodically throughout the year. "

There is no requirement to buy the book. You can easily pick it up from your library.

Agreed. I cannot understand why HAL did this. They must feel it will feed profits somehow. Bad idea IMO.

It will just turn some people completely off. I read what I want, when I want without "O" or anyone else's suggestions or influence.

I would think that HAL did this because of the popularity of book clubs in general combined with the Oprah's attraction. Obviously book clubs are not your cup of tea, and that is fine. I don't think the intention anyway is to attract hundreds of people on each cruise. Large crowds could make for a very unpleasant book club.

As for "turn some people completely off", I suppose some may feel that way. For me, it's just another event on a cruise ship. I can participate or not. My choice. I don't visit the spas or the gyms on cruise ships, yet am not completely turned off by HAL merely offering these options. Different strokes for different folks.

Agreed all the way around. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my experience that if your local library closes, you are allowed to participate in the next closest. I have library cards from several different local-ish libraries, as an avid reader. I’d go broke buying all the books I read. But I can borrow them from my couch with a library card and a Kindle. Perhaps, if you’re interested, you might want to check and see which library(s) you are allowed to participate in. I’m quite certain there are resources available for those who want them

Maybe it varies by state? Are you in MA?

Are you in U.S.?

I am wondering if any HAL cruises are offering Tai Chi or Meditation? I would be very interested in that. I am not opposed to the Book Club, Oprah or no, but probably would not participate in that as I read a lot and always have my own reading with me.

I would think that HAL did this because of the popularity of book clubs in general combined with the Oprah's attraction. Obviously book clubs are not your cup of tea, and that is fine. I don't think the intention anyway is to attract hundreds of people on each cruise. Large crowds could make for a very unpleasant book club.

As for "turn some people completely off", I suppose some may feel that way. For me, it's just another event on a cruise ship. I can participate or not. My choice. I don't visit the spas or the gyms on cruise ships, yet am not completely turned off by HAL merely offering these options. Different strokes for different folks.

What I meant about "turn some people completely off" was that some folks (not me) may think that this "O" alliance/book club will mean that the cruise will be dominated by "O" themed "everything" and they will turn their backs on it. That is where I thought it would be a big mistake for HAL to do this. I personally realize it is just a book club and participation is voluntary. As long as HAL doesn't allow "O-Everything" to become a dominant theme, I don't think it will be too much of a problem. There are always some people who will rebel and jump to another line just because of HAL's association with "O" in general, but not me. If I like a particular sailing or ship it is not going to hold me back.

Maybe it varies by state? Are you in MA?

Are you in U.S.?

Yes I’m Washington State. Previously upstate NY. Very familiar with library closings and affiliates. I am currently a member of the Seattle Library, King County, Pierce County and Tacoma library, as well as NYC ( soon to be ineligible). Maybe MA is different but many libraries have affiliations with “each other” . It’s important to me so I always look

I’m not happy and I’m not angry. It’s an option and Oprah doesn’t trigger me. If folks want to participate, in glad they have the option to do so. I like looking at the stuff in the shops, even though it’s ridiculously expensive for what it is. I don’t dislike Oprah and I don’t love her. She simply is a part of the world we live in. Apparently folks have strong feelings. I do not. If it keep HAL current and solvent, good for them. When the affiliation ends, and it likely will, I doubt I’ll notice. Is it the same as ATK, an affiliation some can attend , some do not?

HAVE to BUY an "O" Book??? NO WAY, I read alot, I buy many books but will NOT be told by HAL (or anyone) I HAVE to BuY an "O" book. That is so way over the line... HAL really should re-think this, IMO. NOW They TELL us we HAVE to BUY an "O" Book :loudcry: They HAVE to be kidding. Not going to happen!!!

I will donate the cost to charity t but I will not donate to "O" making one cent on me.

I wonder if HAL is starting to get an idea this alliance with "O" may be a bad idea and not being well received by many HAL pax? More like a total flop. How long does anyone think Mam "O" will hang around when she sees a number of us are not enthralled? iT will depend what monetary penalites.

I don't think you HAVE to buy the book. Only if you want to join the discussion. I started to read it and really couldn't get into it. I have no idea how it got onto the best seller list. Maybe because O recommended it.

Does anyone else find what HAL is doing as ironic. Eliminating the library, because their customers bring "e-readers" yet starting a book club and selling "O"'s books!!!! Next they will be holding the "book club" meetings in the old Hal library!

It's either a lie, or HAL believe that O fans in particular, don't own e-readers. :confused:

I am wondering if any HAL cruises are offering Tai Chi or Meditation? I would be very interested in that. I am not opposed to the Book Club, Oprah or no, but probably would not participate in that as I read a lot and always have my own reading with me.

I learned Tai Chi on a Volendam cruise. I was told they discontinued Tai Chi, but I saw it again on the 2018 Grand Asia & Pacific cruise on the Amsterdam. It hope it's true!

I also read what I like and would only join a book club if the book happened to interest me.

I am excited to try the book club and purchased An American Marriage yesterday. I have never been part of a book club and hope that my upcoming cruise offers the discussions.

I read quite a bit and have found that whenever I read an Oprah book club book I really enjoy it. I did not originally buy the book because it was part of Oprah's book club but now that I have a history of really enjoying them I will definitely grab one when I see it belongs to the club.

Has anyone read the book? Do the book club meetings on-board start in May? I'm booked to sail May 1st on the Zaandam. Perhaps I'll phone Holland America and see if they know if my cruise will have a meeting.

Thanks!

Has anyone read the book? Do the book club meetings on-board start in May? I'm booked to sail May 1st on the Zaandam. Perhaps I'll phone Holland America and see if they know if my cruise will have a meeting.

Thanks!

Please come back and give a report after your sailing. A few of us, myself included, will be anxious to hear about it. How many times did you meet, where did you meet, how was the participation???

I sail June 2, so I will be looking forward to your follow up. I am hit or miss on whether I enjoy the O book selections. I have the HAL/O book club book in my Amazon cart ready to download to my kindle.

Diane reported on Johnny B's Amsterdam world cruise segment blog that about 3O ladies took part in the book club meeting. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55624234&postcount=33 DW had about the same number on our Cape Horn cruise a few years back. Pretty good turn outs, don't know how Oprah book clubs will do in comparison. Will they be popular on seven day cruises? Book clubs are pretty much a woman's thing and Oprah is pretty much a woman's celebrity. I won't take part in a book club, but I'd rather see HAL promoting book clubs than acupuncture seminars, tanzanite seminars, posture analyses, aromatherapy seminars, and teeth whitening seminars.

Assuming the "O Book Club" will be led or facilitated by a dedicated staff person, what other tasks would this staff person also have. Is this a new staff position, or one that is part of the cruise director's staff already on board.

You know that you can always download the book for free if you are a member of a public library and have the overdrive app. Personally I like the idea of a book club and whether you like Oprah or not her book suggestions are usually excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is usually a long wait for a bestseller from the public library. It's even longer for your kindle.

Assuming the "O Book Club" will be led or facilitated by a dedicated staff person, what other tasks would this staff person also have. Is this a new staff position, or one that is part of the cruise director's staff already on board.

In November on the Eurodam, the book club was lead by the cruise director. It featured the O book selection "Anything is Possible".

I don't see why this would require a dedicated staff person, and if it did, I'm sure they would have other responsibilities, not just the book club.

Roz